PDA

View Full Version : Identifying aftermarket parts in G17

sadmin
05-02-14, 08:43
I purchased a gen 4 G17 from a forum member (can't recall who), and the gun has been awesome. It just surpassed 3.5k rounds malfunction free by myself and had previously had around 2k through it from original owner. It has aftermarket parts in it and if I wanted to replicate the setup, how would I go about identifying what those parts were? Are all parts labeled in some manner?

TL:DR- I'm no gunsmith, what's in muh gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillygunguy
05-02-14, 14:21
You bought a gun from someone on this forum, I'd try hard to find out who it was and just ask them. IMHO, Just because aftermarket parts work well in one gun, doesnt mean youll have the same luck in another I just stick with OEM parts unless you're using it for competetion

teutonicpolymer
05-02-14, 20:13
do you know what seems different from stock? in terms of feel or look?

Tiny Killer Robot
05-03-14, 08:22
What makes you suspect aftermarket parts?
Your best bet is to contact the seller to find the setup as the connector, springs, and firing pin plunger safety (the most likely changed out internals) will not be marked with specs or manaufacturer. Obvious things like a skeletonized firing pin or aftermarket trigger would be easier to spot. The internals have either self polished through round count or been polished by hand. Are they dull gray except for contact points or shiny all over?
Contact the seller.

sadmin
05-03-14, 08:51
Let me clarify- the seller stated in the sale he modified the extractor, guide rod spring, and a couple others. I'm certain the extractor is whatever is recommended to skirt the BTF with Gen4s. I'm just trying to get the make and manufacturer of the parts. Thanks-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiny Killer Robot
05-03-14, 13:28
There won't be any markings on the springs, so he will have to let you know the specifics.

Tyler? Small world. That's where I am originally from.

TacticalMark
05-03-14, 13:40
If the extractor was replaced, more then likely it's a Apex part which would be easy to identify because they are engraved. It could have been replaced with a Lone Wolf extractor but they resemble OEM. Is the RSA on a plastic guide rod or steel? Pictures might help or try to contact the seller.