PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your ammo?

ColtSeavers
05-02-14, 09:45
In a slightly related topic to the "Is a 'gun' safe really worth it?" thread, I was wondering if anyone stores their ammo in their Safe or Residential Security Container.

I have a RSC (Scheels Outfitter 31 gun 'safe') that I keep my modest (at best) collection in along with other items and our ammo as well due to having little ones in the house.

Now, I understand that in the event of a fire (or someone using a torch to break into it while we're away) this can cause one hell of a mess to say the least, but again, due to having children and others over, my wife and I believe that this is still a safer option regardless of the possible catastrophic scenario described earlier.

Anyone else do so as well for the same or any other reason(s)?

Anyone believe and have reason to do otherwise?

ETA: Apologies in advance if this is considered the wrong subforum for this topic. Please feel free to move this thread if it is not the correct subforum.

Airhasz
05-02-14, 09:52
I store mine in gun vault, on shelves in basement and on my reloading bench.

SilverBullet432
05-02-14, 09:53
"Residential security container"? I use ammo boxes and lock up my reserves.

markm
05-02-14, 09:56
In the closet. Some ammo cans are in the safe just because ARs are too short and I use the ammo cans to raise the ARs up to the barrel slots in the safe.

TXBK
05-02-14, 10:02
https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php?cx=010536845846440650985%3Aridd3_u3s3i&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ammo+storage&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php%3F&ref=&ss=2612j635278j14

Storing your ammo in a safe is unnecessary. There are many ways to keep it out of reach of little ones.

Ammunition reacts differently in a fire than you may imagine.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/how-ammunition-reacts-in-a-fire-saami-video-report/

ColtSeavers
05-02-14, 10:40
https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php?cx=010536845846440650985%3Aridd3_u3s3i&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ammo+storage&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php%3F&ref=&ss=2612j635278j14

Storing your ammo in a safe is unnecessary. There are many ways to keep it out of reach of little ones.

Ammunition reacts differently in a fire than you may imagine.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/how-ammunition-reacts-in-a-fire-saami-video-report/

Thank you for the second link, that helps greatly with putting my mind at ease with a worst case fire/torch breach atttempt scenario.

Regarding other ammo storage possibilities, I understand that there are others, but I was trying to concentrate on whether people kept their ammo in their safe/rsc or not and why. Perhaps my thread title is too vague.

Ryno12
05-02-14, 10:55
I store mine in gun vault, on shelves in basement and on my reloading bench.

Yep, mines all over the place too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWPilgrim
05-02-14, 11:02
Most is stored in ammo cans stacked on a couple shelving units in the garage. Some ready to go ammo/mags in closet.

Caeser25
05-02-14, 11:47
Most is in my safe. I don't want ammo stolen just like my firearms.

Some fire departments will not go in your house during a fire if its not in a safe. That was the policy of my exes brothers FD.

Campbell
05-02-14, 13:01

Some fire departments will not go in your house during a fire if its not in a safe. That was the policy of my exes brothers FD.

Mine is also in the safe, to protect against theft.

Hmac
05-02-14, 13:14
Most is stored in ammo cans stacked on a couple shelving units in the garage. Some ready to go ammo/mags in closet.

Me too. Stored on a shelf in the garage in the shipping cartons. The rest is loose stored in dry boxes and always about 500 rounds of each caliber in ammo bags (5.11 Bail Out Bag).

ColtSeavers
05-02-14, 13:33
Theft of our ammo was/is also a concern for us as well and was another reason we decided to keep it in the 'safe'. We also figured that our childrens' friends don't need to happen upon it either somehow and then inadvertantly advertise it later on due to kids just blabbing being kids.

Kain
05-02-14, 13:49
Most of my ammo is in ammo cans, and some loaded in mags ready to go too. Ammo that is in cans is stored in the basement.

In the closet. Some ammo cans are in the safe just because ARs are too short and I use the ammo cans to raise the ARs up to the barrel slots in the safe.

I need to use that. have about half a dozen rifles that are too short if I want to get some of the shotguns into the safe.

decodeddiesel
05-02-14, 14:24
In ammo cans on cheap harbor freight metal shelves in my basement. Any unopened cases of 1000 or 500 are kept in a plastic footlocker under the shelves. I never keep ammo in my safe.

Packman73
05-02-14, 14:35
All my ammo except for shotgun ammo is crammed in my safe. For weight and for security.

Kokopelli
05-02-14, 14:39

There's the deal.. Safe space is too short for all the 50 cal cans. I line the floor of one of those sliding door closets with 50 cal cans.. spreads out the weight and uses otherwise neglected space.. JME

PS: The wife has too many shoes anyhow... ;)

Kain
05-02-14, 14:54
All my ammo except for shotgun ammo is crammed in my safe. For weight and for security.

I used to do that as well. You WILL eventually run out of room if you keep stockpiling ammo. When I got to where I'd buy a few boxes and have to spent 20+minutes reorganizing the bastard to get the ammo to fit I knew it was time to start buying ammo cans. Might as well start buying them now, they aren't getting cheaper unfortunately. I still will store a couple spam cans of ammo in my safe for extra weight, as well as a few odd ball rounds and boxes, but my lion's share is stored in ammo cans.

Maddmax
05-02-14, 15:57
Steel,job sight construction box for tools/power tools. You can get them in different sizes (48"X24"X24" is nice) at Manards or places like it. The double padlock is resessed so you can't use a bolt cutter to open it. You can stack ammo cans inside easy for added protection from moisture (the box is also water tight). In the basement,it would hold up to a Tornado and you could dig it out of the rubbish with a back-hoe kinda tough. :) Not too bad on price if you shop around.

Airhasz
05-02-14, 18:48

It's nice when you are looking for something and find a couple hundred reloads you stored...lol

thei3ug
05-02-14, 21:14
Steel,job sight construction box for tools/power tools. .
I do the exact same thing. Gives me a lock box, and then I just throw the watertight boxes in the job box. The only issue is when say, the one .50 cal box filled with slugs happens to be wedged just right so I have to empty all the other boxes to get to it. I wouldn't consider the padlock to be solid security though, recessed or no.

Enigma1
07-11-14, 14:30
In my safe room in the basement. Stored in ammo boxes. I have set this room up so it is temperature and humidity controlled. My wife is ****** nicest room in house. But we must have our priorities.

caporider
07-11-14, 16:23
In a padlocked sports equipment locker bolted to the basement floor... There are about 10,000 rounds in there (give or take) of various calibers at any given moment.

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/armory/locker.jpg

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-11-14, 16:35
I filled a second hand 60" Knaack job box with spam cans of mil surplus ammo and .50 cal ammo cans of new manuf.
ammo. Also stuck in a couple of Mosin Nagants I bought cheap and never cleaned the cosmoline.

Get a used job box on Craigs List much cheaper than new. It is the only thing I ever bought from Craig's list.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Aggie84/6daef9d96ea7f168c96e7bd8a4d13091_zpsb0b93f51.jpg (http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/Aggie84/media/6daef9d96ea7f168c96e7bd8a4d13091_zpsb0b93f51.jpg.html)

J&G sales is selling excellent quality .50 cal ammo cans for $10. I bought couple dozen and put the rest of my ammo in them in a reinforced indoor storage closet.

http://www.jgsales.com/ammo-can,-50cal,-usgi,-steel,-used.-p-81.html

Have fun
RFA

ptmccain
07-11-14, 16:36
I empty the boxed ammo into .50 cal ammo cans and toss two dessicant packs into each one. I transport ammo to/from range and training center in 30 cal cans. Easy.

Quick Draw
07-11-14, 19:46

All I can get into my safe is there. Overflow is in closets or on shelves above my reloading bench.

Icedaddy56
07-11-14, 20:22
Loose in 50 cal cans with dessicant bag. Cans stored in locked basement room with steel door and double locks.

yellowfin
07-12-14, 13:11
In various sized ammo cans in clear MTM boxes for pistol ammo, and rifle ammo on stripper clips. No kids at the moment, but reading up on how to raise them not stupid enough to need to go to ridiculous lengths to lock stuff up.

TomMcC
07-12-14, 18:52
In the safe, in the closet, under the bed.

AFshirt
07-12-14, 23:45
I dont have kids so a spare bedroom has been turned into the guns and ammo room. One rifle and pistol is the master bedroom and everything else is locked in the gun room closet. Ammo is stored in ammo cans on shelves. One half the room is for ammo and parts storage, the other half is for maintenance and reloading. The gunroom door and window is tied into the house alarm.

ZGXtreme
07-13-14, 00:44
.30 Cal cans for all calibers except shotgun which is in 50 Cal cans. All on the right side of my safe for weight and security. I don't have many weapons so it works out. Drew up a rough draft to scale to fit as many cans as possible and my weapons, just need to build the shelving to execute the plan.

GrahamKAC
07-19-14, 12:51
I keep all mine stored in my safe for the benefits of the added weight, and security. Bricks of 22LR aren't cheap these days lol!

markm
07-20-14, 09:49
I keep all mine stored in my safe for the benefits of the added weight, and security. Bricks of 22LR aren't cheap these days lol!

We were joking about that the other day. I'm going to keep my powder and ammo in the safe and leave the guns laying out. (Guns are easier to replace!) :sarcastic:

Skar
07-20-14, 11:18
I got a half a dozen of those plastic water tight ammo boxes from Cabelas. And store on shelf in basement .

tommyrott
07-25-14, 23:39
three drawer filing cabinet store all the bullets and 22lr in the bottom drawer, primers, powder, shotshells in the 2nd, my 2 guns and magazines, and ammo and sundry shooting gear in the top

Uni-Vibe
08-04-14, 00:00
Ammo I rely on to save my life in the big city resides in a high cabinet in the house.

Reloads for target/plinking are exiled to the garage.

Hot Holster
08-04-14, 00:35

Here too.

STAMarine
09-22-14, 22:10
Between the couch cushions.

buckpatriot
09-24-14, 00:29
In a padlocked sports equipment locker bolted to the basement floor... There are about 10,000 rounds in there (give or take) of various calibers at any given moment.

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/armory/locker.jpg

Holy cow, can I borrow some? LOL

I keep my defensive stuff in the safe and the rest in a watertight compartment in the basement. Too much weight on the shelves. Though I don't have near as much as this guy. I now have a new goal :)

Hmac
09-24-14, 09:21
Doesn't include the shotgun ammo, nor the stuff in dry boxes, nor the stuff in my ammo bags. I took the ammo shortage seriously.

http://ssequine.net/ammo.jpg

Wake27
09-24-14, 11:05
Damn you guys are making me jealous. I need to buy more...

ETA - I put all of mine in MTM ammo cans as soon as I get it, along with two packs of desiccant for good measure. I just stack those on the floor against the wall somewhere.

Uni-Vibe
09-28-14, 18:58
Reloads, i.e. range fodder, gets stored in the garage.

Anything I might rely on for my life gets stored in an air conditioned house.