PDA

View Full Version : Is Remington 700 5-R the way to go for long range?

jhferero
06-01-08, 00:48
Title says it all. I've narrowed my search down to this guy. Obviously it will have work done to it though. What are your guys' opinions on this rifle?

Dave L.
06-01-08, 15:20
Dude, not to be a dick but you are basically asking the same exact question you did 4 threads down on the list.

I'll say this though- figure out exactly how much you want to spend, then buy the best setup you can afford. Include in your price an adequate training course- you can buy the fastest race car but it's useless if you don't know how to drive it.

GONIF
06-02-08, 13:58
It is a great choice out to 1000 yards if you have a 20MOA base and a scope that will cost as much or more than the rifle . just because the rifle is capeable of it doe's not mean the shooter is . it will take match ammo and pratice.

usmcchet9296
06-03-08, 18:59
The 700 is basically what all other sniper rifles are based off in one way or another and its capable of shooting out to 1000 yards easy but like what was said that depends on the shooter, scope, setup. Now I have a 700 on lay away its the new SBS in 223. Why am I getting a 223? Economics and my ability. 223/5.56 is less expensive than 308 and I can share it with my AR, also I dont have access to ranges out to 1000 meters and doubt I would shoot that well out that far anyway. I often go to the range here in Cali and see people with rifles that I could never afford and guess what those people cant hit the board side of a barn if they were standing 10 feet from it. Talk about a waste of money but I guess if it makes you happy to own a rilfe like a Ferrari and can only shoot at Yugo levels than fine by me but if I were you Id get a good entry level rifle, work on shooting well at reasonable distances and if you want to move up than go for it all and then splurge.

Army Chief
06-04-08, 00:42
I would say "for the money," yes.

The 5R MILSPEC gives you a good baseline action, an excellent barrel and a known starting point that you can easily build on later. If you have a bit more to spend, you can surely do better, but the most significant limiting factor here is usually the shooter, anyway, and the 5R has plenty of potential to grow with you.

Just remember, in the distance game, optics are of paramount importance. Better to buy a bone stock 5R and invest in world-class optics than to buy a best-in-class rifle and top it with an $800 piece of glass.

Chief

mark5pt56
06-04-08, 06:21
My advice is if you want the 700, get it. Leave it stock and start with the glass you want to end up with. When you can out shoot the stock rifle, then consider spending money on the reworking.

jhferero
06-04-08, 16:03
Dude, not to be a dick but you are basically asking the same exact question you did 4 threads down on the list.

I'll say this though- figure out exactly how much you want to spend, then buy the best setup you can afford. Include in your price an adequate training course- you can buy the fastest race car but it's useless if you don't know how to drive it.

Dude, not to be a dick, but i am basically starting a new thread because my question was not answered in the first thread. All i am asking is what stock rifle would be best for long range. If anyone knows or has some input that is helpful, that would be great. p.s. use spell check and grammar check.

For all those who took their time to help me out thanks. I'm in the military and i'm an experienced shooter. I've been overseas the whole time and i have not had the time to purchase my own rifle because i simply didn't have the time before. If anyone else knows of a stock rifle that can be worked with, which will obviously happen, please put in your two cents worth.
Thanks.

apb2772
06-12-08, 21:07
As far as rifles go the "5R" is a fine choice, there are other rifles out there that are solid as well for example:

Tikka T3 tactical
Remington 700SPR
Savage Model 10FPC HS Precision
Savage Model 10FCP McMillan
Kimber Model 8400 Tactical
Kimber Model 8400 Advanced Tactical
CZ U.S.A-CZ 750 SNIPER
Weatherby Vanguard MOA Series
FN SPR Rifle
FN PBR Rifle
Brown Precision Tactical Elite
HS Precision Pro Series 2000 HTR

+ DOZENS MORE...

Try and check out : http://www.snipercentral.com/

They are good people and they have a large knowledge base...

UncleFudd
06-13-08, 20:41
Depending on your budget, and of course if you are going to re-work any gun it is going to cost bucks beyond your initial purchase and that is before you even begin with another big ticket item, glass.

But do not forget or overlook depending on your point of reference, either the Suaer and especially the Blaser R93 actions that you can change barrels/calibers any time you want.

I have the Blaser LRS2 with the .223 and the 22-250 barrels and it is the most accurate rifle out of the box I have ever fired and I have fired a bunch.

Food for thought.

As you can see I am a nooby but have a couple of days experience with firearms.

UncleFudd
www.caswells.com

UncleFudd
06-13-08, 21:06
I thought I would try to post a picture of the LRS2 as I mentioned. You can go on the Blaserpro forum to see or get more info about this gun and all the calibers available with them including the .308 if that is the caliber you want.
BTW, I am not trying to sell something this is just another idea for getting extremely accurate rifles to begin with just as we assume with the Rem 700s.
The R93 action in the Blaser is easily matched to the frame and can be had in standard rifle configuration or something like the LRS2 as shown.
And certainly one might consider perhaps the least expensive application of all by re-barreling the Ruger#1 which is an excellent platform.

Here are both and again the R#1 is in 22-250 also.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk288/UncleFudd/riflesandpistolslatest008.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk288/UncleFudd/riflesandpistolslatest002.jpg

As I said, just another possible pathway to your goal.

Kenny

KYPD
07-25-08, 19:24
Perhaps the thread is cold, but I thought I might contribute something.

Over the years I have spent many thousands of dollars on components and elite gunsmiths to make benchrest, varmint hunting, and 1000 yard competition rifles for me. I have owned one Remington rifle that was a real hummer. The others were decent deer rifles, or tomato stakes, but not suited to much else.

Why? Miserably out of tolerance: bad chambers, bad throats, bad bolts, bad alignment, bad barrels. Sloppy work. Why do I know that? Because I paid a very good gunsmith to measure dimensions, runout and other tolerances. If you bought a car with the same poor tolerances as a Remington factory rifle, you would call it a lemon. Totally unacceptable by modern standards. All these problems can be corrected, of course, by a really good gunsmith (there aren't many around) and a top-quality barrel, stock and trigger. But you will find, just as I and most long-time benchrest competitors do, that making a winning rifle out of a Rem 700 is equivalent to making the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear. As one gunsmith told me, "If want to win at Indy, you don't start with a Ford F150."

Talk with a benchrest gunsmith that produces rifles that consistently win internationally and ask him what he typically does to build an accurate rifle using a Rem 700 rifle. Then ask him how much money it costs, and how long the waiting list is. Oh, and while your at it, make sure to notice that only three components of the original rifle will remain when he is done: the bolt, the action body, and the recoil lug; everything else is garbage.

If you can do math, you will learn that, in the case of tactical shooting, for the cost of purchasing a Rem 700 and blueprinting it, you could purchase a Tikka or a Sako or an Accuracy International product that will be ready to go out of the box. Why do I know that? Because I've done it. These manufacturers realized long ago that men that really know how to shoot are going to be using and comparing their rifles, so they hold tight tolerances and assemble good components, something Remington hasn't bothered to do for 25 years. Of course, you will need to develop loads for it and learn how to shoot it on your own.

That said, most people, and that includes many military and LE snipers, can't shoot well enough to tell the difference. I know because I have have shot against them in competition. At a thousand yards, the shooter's ability to dope wind and read mirage are many times more critical than the MOA accuracy of the rifle. Of course, even if you can dope the wind and read mirage, and even if you do have 1/32" MOA ammo, a 1" MOA rifle will still make you miss at 1000 yards. You must have all three legs of the accuracy tripod (rifle, ammo, ability) well in hand.

So you can experience the waste and frustration that many shooters, including me, did by attempting to build an accurate rifle out of a cheap $16 Remington (that's how much Remington spends, or used to spend, to make a bolt-action rifle pre-CNC), or you can save your money and time and get a good rifle to begin with and spend the time and money saved working up loads and learning how to shoot the thing.

I would say "that's my 2 cents," but it cost me a helluva lot more than 2 cents to learn this.

Stan

Josh-L
07-27-08, 07:50
The 5R is overpriced if you ask me. I recently figured it up because I considered getting one and selling my Surgeon Rifle. I only saved about $350. Not worth it considering how much more awesome the Surgeon action is.

yrac
07-27-08, 15:07
Regardless of the rifle you buy, do not skimp on the glass and base/rings. It's self defeating to go out and buy a decent rifle only to put bargain glass, or run-of-the-mill rings from the local gunshop or Walmart on it. Think Leupold/Badger as a starting point, and it goes up from there.

One of the other posters mentioned training. He is spot on. As with any other weapon, once you reach a certain minimal threshold in terms of equipment quality/reliability, you will get vastly more "bang for the buck out of quality training as opposed to making incremental improvements in equipment. (When you're at the top of your game, small improvements in equipment can make a difference. When you're just getting started, you'll make a quantum leap in capability just by getting quality instruction and then burning it in thorugh regular sustainment training.) If you have to make a choice due to financial contraints, you're better off with good equipment and great training, instead stellar equipment and no training. (That's not meant to denigrate buying great equipment like AI, Schmidt & Bender, etc... Just make sure you leave room in your budget for quality instruction.)

Gunfighter13
07-29-08, 02:49
Title says it all. I've narrowed my search down to this guy. Obviously it will have work done to it though. What are your guys' opinions on this rifle?

The 5R is a good gun to start off with. Put a good base, rings and scope on it and get some training. Other things to think about that you will need are a log book, Mil Dot Master, Balistic card for your ammo, Good ammo, a good sling, spotting scope, and a ruck to carry everything else you will add later on after your training class.

As far as what scope, buy the best you can. It will pay off in the long run.

Snipercentral and snipershide will have a lot of info you may want to know. Check them out.:D

Heres a link to some stickys.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237232#Post237232

Mate
07-29-08, 10:16
Gunfighter, I've been printing out as many of those stickys as I can. That site has a wealth of information.