PDA

View Full Version : Troy Delta and Charlie rail durability and strength

masakari
05-02-14, 15:43
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMAG0166_zpswypewyqq.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMAG0166_zpswypewyqq.jpg.html)
I have a Troy Delta rail drop in on my Colt 6720 and love it.
As this is my "end of the world" SHTF rifle, I have been considering the durability and strength of it, and how well it would stand up to extreme abuse.
Has Troy or anyone else done any torture testing to see how well it would hold up? My main concern is the attachment point on the barrel nut, as it doesn't seem as robust as other, non drop in designs.
Any insight or experience with this rail would be greatly appreciated.

jpeezy
05-02-14, 23:18
I have some co workers who run them on duty rifles. We attend our rifle training together as well as carbine courses and they have beat the crap out of them with no issues. I'm looking to get one as well since we can't remove the delta ring on our department rifles.

Will545
09-07-14, 12:30
Bumping this topic as I'm considering a troy delta rail for a mid length build that I would like to keep the FSP intact. Anyone know the weight on these? Is there a better option on a mid length fsp cut out rail? The only others I know of are the apex extended handguard and the centurion c4. Centurion is off the list as I don't want quad rails. Leaning towards the delta for the longer handguard over the apex.

Kilo 1-1
09-07-14, 16:25
Bumping this topic as I'm considering a troy delta rail for a mid length build that I would like to keep the FSP intact. Anyone know the weight on these? Is there a better option on a mid length fsp cut out rail? The only others I know of are the apex extended handguard and the centurion c4. Centurion is off the list as I don't want quad rails. Leaning towards the delta for the longer handguard over the apex.

These delta rails are NOT for midlength uppers. These are strictly for carbine uppers only.

In relation to the OP, I've had mine for almost 2 years now. The Delta's far from perfect as it's a series of compromises to fit a specific need. That said, I'd also trust it on a work gun as well, especially if no permanent modifications can be done to host weapon.

Masakari, what offset mount do you have for your light?

Will545
09-07-14, 16:32
These delta rails are NOT for midlength uppers. These are strictly for carbine uppers only.

In relation to the OP, I've had mine for almost 2 years now. The Delta's far from perfect as it's a series of compromises to fit a specific need. That said, I'd also trust it on a work gun as well, especially if no permanent modifications can be done to host weapon.

Masakari, what offset mount do you have for your light?

https://troyind.com/products/delta-mid-length-blk

t15
09-07-14, 16:33

ive got a 15 troy alpha that never gave me any trouble. i used blue loctite and being such a long rail theres a lot of leverage going on. never gave me any trouble and thought the lock up to the gi nut was quite ingenious. not up to date on the latest and greatest, i know DD has some cut out and 2 part free floats.

Kilo 1-1
09-07-14, 16:35
https://troyind.com/products/delta-mid-length-blk

Ah, I guess they did come out with the midlength model after all, that's new to me. If you want a quick fix for what you're looking for (pure-drop in with no change to host upper), then go for it.

Edit: There was a picture floating from overseas of a VTAC version of the Delta rail used on a SOCOM gun. Didn't know there was a VTAC edition of the rail until I saw this picture.

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Jeff_Gurwitch_Article_Tactical_AR-15_M4_M4A1_Carbine_SBR_Sub_Carbine_Accessories_Part_II_DefenseReview.com_DR_PIC_G.jpg

masakari
09-07-14, 21:59
I wound up selling my Troy DeltaRail and just got a Daniel Defense LITE III for durability, heart resistance, and modularity. But it was a good rail, it would go nicely on a trunk gun or something.
The offset light mount I was using was an IWC offset.
And yes, they do make a midlength version.

ghostsup
09-07-14, 22:09
I wound up selling my Troy DeltaRail and just got a Daniel Defense LITE III for durability, heart resistance, and modularity. But it was a good rail, it would go nicely on a trunk gun or something.
The offset light mount I was using was an IWC offset.
And yes, they do make a midlength version.

I ALWAYS look for a heart resistance rail when building an AR. :rolleyes:

masakari
09-07-14, 23:03
I ALWAYS look for a heart resistance rail when building an AR. :rolleyes:

Burning my hand on the hot gas block that the DeltaRail left exposed wasnt fun. If you like pain though, don't worry about it.

MountainRaven
09-08-14, 01:09
Burning my hand on the hot gas block that the DeltaRail left exposed wasnt fun. If you like pain though, don't worry about it.

Methinks you should reread the post he was responding to and then reread his response. And engage in a careful search for the word, "heat".

Cobrasks
09-08-14, 11:12
I have a Delta on a 6920 because I didn't want to take it apart
to add a rail .

I'm not concerned with the durability of the rail .
Mine is locked up tight and hasn't moved at all .
It went on easy as well after watching a video
about how to do it .

I've recently decided that I'm no longer bothered with a
reduction in resale for permanently altering my Colt's and
that I want a fold down front sight for optics .

mdrums
12-13-14, 10:32
I too have a Colt 6920. Right now I have a Midwest Industries drop in rail that has been great. However I would like to have a longer rail because I'm tall 6'5" and after getting my Knights SR15 I like to reach out further on the rail. So I've been really considering the Troy Vtac Delta rail. I also looked at a Midwest Industries rail that goes over the A2 front sights but I'd have to cut off the delta ring and the washer up by the front sight but the MI rail does still use the stock barrel nut. I have a dremel and could do this but like a few other I am not sure I want to alter my 6970 Colt as it's the one with the rare roll marks....doesn't matter to me but many years down the road it might matter to someone if I decide to sell.

Thoughts on all this? Troy Delta Vtac drop in free float which has smooth sides and you add rail pieces as needed or MI rail Gen 2 Quad Rail drop in free float and cut the Delta ring off?

dentron
12-13-14, 11:28
I too have a Colt 6920. Right now I have a Midwest Industries drop in rail that has been great. However I would like to have a longer rail because I'm tall 6'5" and after getting my Knights SR15 I like to reach out further on the rail. So I've been really considering the Troy Vtac Delta rail. I also looked at a Midwest Industries rail that goes over the A2 front sights but I'd have to cut off the delta ring and the washer up by the front sight but the MI rail does still use the stock barrel nut. I have a dremel and could do this but like a few other I am not sure I want to alter my 6970 Colt as it's the one with the rare roll marks....doesn't matter to me but many years down the road it might matter to someone if I decide to sell.

Thoughts on all this? Troy Delta Vtac drop in free float which has smooth sides and you add rail pieces as needed or MI rail Gen 2 Quad Rail drop in free float and cut the Delta ring off?
Of the two, I would go for the Troy. However I would rather remove the barrel nut and delta ring (and keep them) and install a better rail like a DD. Then if you wanted to go back to stock of you ever wanted to.

mdrums
12-13-14, 13:16
Of the two, I would go for the Troy. However I would rather remove the barrel nut and delta ring (and keep them) and install a better rail like a DD. Then if you wanted to go back to stock of you ever wanted to.

Thanks for the reply...I'm mechanically inclined...work on my car, build drums...ect so I've thiu about seeking out some you tube videos and removing the barrel nut and delta ring. I already have a block for my vise to hold the upper and I have torque wrench