PDA

View Full Version : Noveske: early gen 2 lowers - needs machining for PMAG

Armadillo
05-02-14, 23:29
I have 2 Noveske Gen 2 lowers. They were the early ones before they were able to be used with PMAGS.

The mag well needs to be dremmeled to allow for PMAGS (10 rounders in Mass).

Does anyone have photos and directions?

Would it be better to send to Noveske?

The lower is built up with some very expensive parts so I am not inclined for a swap out.

Should I dismantle the lower and request a swap for a Gen 3?

TehLlama
05-02-14, 23:43
Contact Noveske first, their recommendation is going to be infinitely more useful than any you'll get here.

Armadillo
05-03-14, 00:03
Contact Noveske first, their recommendation is going to be infinitely more useful than any you'll get here.

I was hoping to get some info first in case I wanted to do it myself.

I think I'll give them a call.

Right now it is all premium parts. A perfect lower.

I'll ask if I can send it in.

Toddler
05-03-14, 03:30
Don't do anything to those lowers. All you have to do is grind down the tab on the back of the PMAG, very simple fix. The PMAG is the problem not the lower, fix the $15 part not the $250.

uffdaphil
05-03-14, 09:23
Don't do anything to those lowers. All you have to do is grind down the tab on the back of the PMAG, very simple fix. The PMAG is the problem not the lower, fix the $15 part not the $250.

The only lower I had binding issues with (not Noveske) needed just a light sanding on the sides. I would experiment grinding on a specific PMAG if it was the only one sticking, but modding the entire stash for one lower sounds like a potentially expensive mistake.

03scgt
05-03-14, 09:25
dont you guys have a ban in place on AR's? Id be careful before you send a lower back and try to get a new one with a different serial number.

Stickman
05-03-14, 13:49
I have 2 Noveske Gen 2 lowers. They were the early ones before they were able to be used with PMAGS.

The mag well needs to be dremmeled to allow for PMAGS (10 rounders in Mass).

Does anyone have photos and directions?

Would it be better to send to Noveske?

The lower is built up with some very expensive parts so I am not inclined for a swap out.

Should I dismantle the lower and request a swap for a Gen 3?

If you want the magwell modified, go ahead and do it. Mark the inside of the magwell with a marker, then insert the new PMAG a few times. If will show wear on the receiver where you need to make file it down.

I didn't think Noveske was selling any Gen 3 receivers unless they were on complete weapons, but I could be wrong.

Armadillo
06-22-14, 21:53

The only lower I had binding issues with (not Noveske) needed just a light sanding on the sides. I would experiment grinding on a specific PMAG if it was the only one sticking, but modding the entire stash for one lower sounds like a potentially expensive mistake.

If you want the magwell modified, go ahead and do it. Mark the inside of the magwell with a marker, then insert the new PMAG a few times. If will show wear on the receiver where you need to make file it down.

I didn't think Noveske was selling any Gen 3 receivers unless they were on complete weapons, but I could be wrong.

After much thought, I decided NOT to modify the lower.

Reasons:

1. I can only use 10 round PMAGS in Massachusetts. They are cheap and easy to sand down.

2. I have many pre ban USGI 30 round mags to use for classes and training.

3. Don't want to hurt resale value.

4. If I ever move to a free state, I can get PMAGS for $10 each on sale.

5. Never called Noveske to see if they would mod it for me but even if they would, I don't think it would even be worth the shipping due to the above reasons.