PDA

View Full Version : New to AR/M4 Platform. Bought a Luepold!

Mike Marley
05-03-14, 08:46
Hi:

This is my first post here. A bit of background.I have been shooting handguns since I was very young (around 5 y.o.). I'm 33 y.o. and my dad is an old Korean War vet who raised me with loaded hand guns in every room in the house. So, I have a healthy respect and passion for handguns of all types; however, we really never went shooting rifles too much and by the time I was old enough to hunt, my dad's health had deteriorated to the point that he pretty much quit going.

I always wanted to start shooting rifle and just very recently after moving to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh, I got my CCP (because I live in Philly now..ha. Well, the first time I visited my car was robbed...). This rekindled my interest in guns and I bought a Sig 226 MK 25 9mm (which is my carry gun) AND after doing my homework, treated myself to a Daniel Defense M4V5.

I am still learning the platform and got a holographic 1X Lucid scope to start out with. Just yesterday my Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle Scope came in (6-18X). I got it in the Mil Dot reticle setup for some mid-range shooting and have been studying learning how the Mil Dot system/calculations work. However, I can't find which magnification setting I should be using when I do the calculations for range and windage. Their sight says its usually the highest magnification, but not always. I was frustrated because it did not specify on their website, but instead said to call to find out!!? :confused::mad:

I was hoping the experts here could give me some tips on using this scope and what magnification I should be using to run the calculations?

Thanks!

Mike

Failure2Stop
05-03-14, 11:18
Easy check:

Get 100 meters of distance.
Mark a clear 10cm line.
Whatever magnification matches 1mil to 10 cm at 100 meters is the magnification to use for mil work.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

cbx
05-10-14, 11:45
My manual for my vxr said to use max zoom. Yours is most likely the same. F2S's method is as solid as can get to verify in case manufacturing tolerance is off.

I haven't shot anything smaller than 14x18" plate at 400yrds. Based on the tmr ranging I dialed and got a hit first try. That's not a small target, so my method probably isn't exact. Need to spend a day developing real dope.

The more I use mildot the more I like it. Moa works, but mil does so much more.

Leopold ranging data for reticle

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=O09uU-TGB4ykyAS_voLoDw&url=http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tactical-Milling-Reticle-Man.pdf%3F223a1f&cd=3&ved=0CCsQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHH7jWXUBWEyQK4-y8wG3UxftZbjQ

Mike Marley
05-11-14, 06:23
Thanks! I read enough through the online literature to guess that it would have to be at highest magnification, or 16x; however your way is great to know for the future!