PDA

View Full Version : Audio from Minnesota basement ambush released

DragonDoc
05-03-14, 09:00
This was a quick trial.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618100/Court-releases-audio-chilling-murders-two-teen-burglars-recorded-65-year-old-killer-set-trap-basement.html

montanadave
05-03-14, 09:07
Deservedly so. I know this subject has been beat to death here and members hold widely divergent opinions. However, in my opinion the "castle doctrine" was never intended to allow a person to be judge, jury, and executioner, even in their own home.

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-14, 17:34
Yeah I’m usually the bad guy in these threads as I hold to the belief that if all these "kids" were not out committing felonies then they would still be among the living. And you have to look at the bright side; these little angels will not be victimizing anyone in the future.

montanadave
05-03-14, 17:57
Yeah I’m the usually the bad guy in these threads as I hold to the belief that if all these "kids" were not out committing felonies then they would still be among the living. And you have to look at the bright side; these little angels will not be victimizing anyone in the future.

All true. And the guy is still guilty of murder.

NWPilgrim
05-03-14, 18:11
All true. And the guy is still guilty of murder.

True. Just because one party is found guilty of a crime does not mean the other party is innocent either. If one of the teen burglars had survived they could be tried for murder as well.

SilverBullet432
05-03-14, 18:13
True. Just because one party is found guilty of a crime does not mean the other party is innocent either. If one of the teen burglars had survived they could be tried for murder as well.

all up to the DA.. im sure nancy grace would have shit a cow if a kid survived and was tried... tragic either way.

RWH24
05-03-14, 19:37
The age old motto, "Loose Lips Sink Ships!"

If he had not recorded the incident and kept his mouth shut, he probably would have never gone to trial.
Didn't need to unload a G19 mag into the 2 of them either. The whole story line was wrong, as 2 wrongs will not have a good outcome.

Inkslinger
05-03-14, 20:41
The guy definitely seems to be over the edge. But, if the two happy go luck, loved to play sports, picture perfect teens hadn't broke into his house they wouldn't have been shot!

Premeditated? Sure looks that way. It seemed like he had a pretty good idea somebody was going to break in that night. Maybe the guy was so far gone that he sat in his basement every night waiting for intruders. Not calling 911 immediately? Way messed up. Honestly, wouldn't everyone of us that has thought of a plan to defend our homes against intruders(armed or otherwise) be guilty of premeditation?

The whole thing stinks. It sure isn't going to help responsible, rational gun owners.

TXBK
05-03-14, 22:16
Why in cornbread-hell were they breaking into this wierdo's house, anyway. I don't know enough of the facts to convict him, but he certainly sounds off his rocker.

It seems to me that everyone lost in this deal, and all are at fault. There is no satisfaction or justice in any of this for me, at all, not even the least bit. This is just some more proof that this whole world has gone plum crazy.

Jer
05-03-14, 23:33
Hmmm... How can a crime be premeditated if the 'victim' was the aggressor and started everything with a felony B&E? This is a tough one for me as I feel the guy is a weirdo but it seems like they got him on a couple technicalities. Seems like maybe they determined that he'd be less of a threat to society behind bars because he might be a little but of crazy but if that's the case then they might do anyone of us the same way. Nice 'Treyvon' job by the media finding pictures of them from years prior when they were cute and innocent. I still don't get how he knew they were going to break into his house. I mean, isn't that the requirement for premeditation? Who 'knows' someone is going to break into their house enough in advance to move their truck and prepare all this for them? That, much like the rest of this story, is just odd. It sucks two young adults died but had they not made the premeditated conscious decision to break into another citizen's home it never would have happened. Seems to me like that should weigh heavier than some weird things someone said following an adrenaline dump after having to use justifiable homicide to defend himself in his own home.

C-grunt
05-04-14, 09:21
I think what did him in was admitting to the "finishing shots".

NWPilgrim
05-04-14, 16:48

I agree. All of the "premeditated" blather was icing on the cake, but without the "finishing shots" there would be nothing but self defense.

He was probably upset over the bold stealing from neighbors. But the idea is to "shoot to stop" a threat, not shoot to kill.

Anyone breaking into another's house ought to understand the person inside may or may not be mentally stable, or may or may not follow the law in defending their home. You break and enter at your own risk.

Eurodriver
05-04-14, 19:33
It absolutely was the finishing shots.

This is a perfect example of why as soon as you use your CCW you:
Call 911, report the incident.
Call Your Lawyer.
STFU

If he hadnt recorded the incident and admitted to finishing shots he , even according to a juror, might still be a free man.

I know we all feel the same way about scumbags B&E, but under no circumstances can anyone lawfully execute someone who is no longer a threat.

J-Dub
05-04-14, 19:49
. I know we all feel the same way about scumbags B&E, but under no circumstances can anyone lawfully execute someone who is no longer a threat.

Exactly.

I don't know about anyone else, but that audio is horrific. He executed them, plain and simple. Yes he had every right to defend his home, but wow.......to stand over someone and execute them?

Dead Man
05-04-14, 20:08
I'd like to go back to not knowing about this.

Sounds like everyone got what they deserved, in the end.

tb-av
05-04-14, 20:13
Yep, he sounds like a loon.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-05-14, 11:04
He murdered two people. He is guilty and needs to go away.

Conversely...

Two felons intending to victimize someone learned a valuable lesson, if only for a few seconds.

All parties were wrong and human filth.

markm
05-05-14, 11:11
This is just some more proof that this whole world has gone plum crazy.

Although... YES.. the world seems to have gone nuts... you can't really take whacko shit from nut bag Minnesota and use it as a baseline for the relatively normal other States in the continental US.

Bolt_Overide
05-05-14, 12:19
Not going to cry for the shitbag felons, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The shooter got what he richly deserved as well.

Safetyhit
05-05-14, 13:18
Although... YES.. the world seems to have gone nuts... you can't really take whacko shit from nut bag Minnesota and use it as a baseline for the relatively normal other States in the continental US.

Dang that offends me and I've never even been to Minnesota. Of course we all know how much you love us here in the northeast as well. :eek:

Not going to listen to that tape, have enough slop in my head from reading the news. I'll stand my ground like anyone and certainly never burglarized a house, but by all accounts what that man did was inexcusable.

streck
05-05-14, 13:29
It seems the whole scenario is a resolution of a self correcting problem.

SteyrAUG
05-05-14, 14:07
If you are going to defend yourself and your home and feel endangered enough you need to start a recording in case you don't make it, it is generally a bad idea to "talk shit" if you are successful and then recap events and motivations. Just press STOP on the recorder, call 911 and get a lawyer.

"The two cousins were active in athletics at two local high schools. They were also linked to a burglary the day before they were shot and killed, though the judge excluded evidence about their histories from the trial as irrelevant."

This sets a real bad precedent for homeowners who don't have "issues."

Also interesting to note, Byron Smith, a 65-year-old retiree who once set up security in American embassies for the U.S. State Department. Perhaps these are the parameters he is accustomed to functioning under.

streck
05-05-14, 14:30
"The two cousins were active in athletics at two local high schools. They were also linked to a burglary the day before they were shot and killed, though the judge excluded evidence about their histories from the trial as irrelevant."

Also excluded from the Zimmerman trial was evidence of his violent history and willingness to fight. I don't get how such information can be rationally described as irrelevant.

markm
05-05-14, 14:46
Not going to listen to that tape, have enough slop in my head from reading the news.

That's how I was about the skateboard ramp kid/Dad story. Some guy said I thought watching the footage was beneath me.

NO! Like you.... when I've reached maximum bull shit.... I won't take any more in. ;)

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-14, 03:32
Also excluded from the Zimmerman trial was evidence of his violent history and willingness to fight. I don't get how such information can be rationally described as irrelevant.

This is actually a standard operating procedure in our benevolent "justice" (lol) system. I'm from the school of thought that a person should be judged by their actions . . . past and present. This would help curb the deluge of repeat offenders.

markm
05-20-14, 14:41
Did any of you watch that Dateline or whatever episode on this shoot? It was pretty interesting and a somewhat neutral reporting on the case.

It was playing on the TV for about 10 minutes before I realized this was THAT case. No doubt the nut set up and ambush by parking his truck down the street.

Yeah... they played the police interview where he said he gave the girl "a clean finishing shot". The audio of the whole incident was there and pretty clearly illustrated that it was a trap.

Don't get me wrong... I've got no problem with these people being dead AT ALL... but it was illegal.

madisonsfinest
05-20-14, 18:52
The crazy ass home owner deserved to be convicted of murder. Listening to him go on in the audio recording reminded me of Michael Douglas character in Falling Down

tb-av
05-20-14, 19:14
Not only the "finishing shots" but if you saw the Dateline show, which I didn't realize was this case either and missed some of it... he was actually rehearsing conversations prior to anyone even showing up. He recorded... jeeze... I think they said 6 hours.... but he was carrying on conversations of calling in the shooting and all sorts of nonsense well in advance. I actually think if it were --only-- the finishing shot comment he probably would have gotten off. They asked him, well if she was down and no longer a threat why did you shoot her. He said well I couldn't see if she had a gun or what, she was around the corner, but i was able to make a clean finishing shot..... In that context, he could have probably got away but he simply prepared a crime scene. He set the stage, rehearsed, and gave it his best performance. Total nut case.

The whole things still seems odd to me. Like another piece of the story is missing.

glocktogo
05-20-14, 19:30
Did any of you watch that Dateline or whatever episode on this shoot? It was pretty interesting and a somewhat neutral reporting on the case.

It was playing on the TV for about 10 minutes before I realized this was THAT case. No doubt the nut set up and ambush by parking his truck down the street.

Yeah... they played the police interview where he said he gave the girl "a clean finishing shot". The audio of the whole incident was there and pretty clearly illustrated that it was a trap.

Don't get me wrong... I've got no problem with these people being dead AT ALL... but it was illegal.

I watched it, though I've been following this case all along. My wife was unaware of it and I didn't drop any spoilers as we watched it. A few times after they'd reveal information and she was confused, I'd pause the show and give her just enough additional info so that it was less confusing. It was interesting to watch her go from 100% pro-homeowner dropping the thieves to "WTF was he thinking? He murdered the girl at least!" as the show progressed.

My one takeaway from the show + additional info I'd gleaned is that Byron Smith should have a decent shot on appeal for ineffective counsel (should he choose to go that route). Post-discovery, there's no way I'd have walked into that courtroom with any other defense than diminished capacity/batshit crazy. I wonder if "Guilty but Insane" was available to the jury because that's what I'd have voted for if I were a juror.

I seriously don't think he was all there, to the point he was cognizant of the fact that what he was doing was wrong at the time of the event. Some of the evidence might suggest otherwise, but I think he was on the paranoia train to the point that he was only doing certain things on auto pilot. JMO, YMMV