PDA

View Full Version : First Range Trip With New AR Cut Short!

5.56Geo
05-03-14, 15:50
I was out at the local indoor range performing a 25 yard battle sight zero on a new PSA AR when I experienced a case head separation to one of my reloads. I was only 20 rounds in to my shooting session! I managed to get it sighted in but had to put the AR away for the night. I call a friend and he was able to take out the broken case out by running a bore snake through it. No person or equipment were hurt or damaged during this malfunction, thank goodness.

I reload my own ammo and am very careful as to where I buy my brass and careful on every step of the process. ...this case happed to slip by undetected, not that there were any tell tale signs.

I do have a few question for those of you that reload large amounts of ammo;
1. Is there any way to tell if a case has been reloaded several times?
2. Has this happened to you, if so how many times (ratio)?
3. Comments and advise is welcomed.

Here is the specs on my reloads;
Brass- Lake City
Bullet Hornady .223 55grain
Primer- CCI #400
Powder- IMR 4198 (21.7grains)
COAL- 2.217"

Redding T-7 turret press
RCBS .223 REM/5.56X45 SB T/C DIE SET
505 powder scale

Here is a picture of the case head separation .223 brass. Thanks guys. -Geo
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/turbogeo/DSC02056_zps39217064.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/turbogeo/media/DSC02056_zps39217064.jpg.html)

eightmillimeter
05-03-14, 16:00
Always buy "unprocessed" brass if you are buying once-fired military brass. You know it is once-fired as you ream out the primer crimps.

Anyways, this happens. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you adjust your sizing die to size the brass the minimal amount to function reliably (.003-.005 shoulder bump and no more) your necks will split long before you ever have a CHS. Your load is mild enough you should get 12-15 loads out of LC brass with minimal effort if your sizing die is not overworking the brass.

kry226
05-03-14, 17:18
Always buy "unprocessed" brass if you are buying once-fired military brass. You know it is once-fired as you ream out the primer crimps.

Anyways, this happens. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you adjust your sizing die to size the brass the minimal amount to function reliably (.003-.005 shoulder bump and no more) your necks will split long before you ever have a CHS. Your load is mild enough you should get 12-15 loads out of LC brass with minimal effort if your sizing die is not overworking the brass.

The only thing I would offer is that most (or at least a large chunk anyway) of LC brass is SAW brass and I really don't think you'll get away with only a shoulder bump. IMHO all brass of unknown expenditure should be full length resized, if not small base.

I just processed a metric ton of it and I even trimmed all of it as well. Based on my head space gage and the amount I cut off during trimming, those cases "grew" considerably during their first firing.

taliv
05-03-14, 18:55
there may be telltale signs if you know where to look

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=734058

lunchbox
05-03-14, 19:17
An easy way to check for case head separation is with a bent paperclip, just scratch inside of case and feel for stretch ring where brass is thin.

5.56Geo
05-04-14, 14:16
The only thing I would offer is that most (or at least a large chunk anyway) of LC brass is SAW brass and I really don't think you'll get away with only a shoulder bump. IMHO all brass of unknown expenditure should be full length resized, if not small base.

I just processed a metric ton of it and I even trimmed all of it as well. Based on my head space gage and the amount I cut off during trimming, those cases "grew" considerably during their first firing.

I never gave it any thought about a lot of it is SAW brass! The SAW puts more of a beating on the brass than the smaller AR/M4. I may start using commercial brass for reloading, my supplier has both. All my hunting and precision shooting ammo is reloaded with new brass. The "once fired LC brass" is used for plinking loads.

Thanks for the help guys. -Geo

markm
05-04-14, 14:43
Checking for stretch rings in 5.56 brass is nuts. Maybe if you have a batch of critical hunting or defense ammo.. but for all brass? Life is too short. Case separations happen. They don't hurt anything.

I agree with checking your die setting. I use a case gauge. If you squeeze brass down too much it'll cause these case separations faster. I've had like 4 over the years. I don't know the history of most of my brass... If you're sure your die isn't set too far down, then don't sweat this. Just move on.... no sense in worrying about it.

Coal Dragger
05-04-14, 15:25
Not a lot I can touch on here that isn't already said, but this here is an internet forum so I will anyway!

1.) Buy a case gauge and use it to adjust your resizing die. The instructions most die makers have to screw the resizing die down all the way until it contacts the shell holder may be seriously pushing the shoulder on your brass back too far. The only really good way to check this is with a case gauge, if the head of the case is below the high step, and above the low step your resizing die is adjusted properly and the brass will headspace properly. Head spacing that is too short results in the brass expanding forward to meed the chamber at where the shoulder of the case should be, and stretches out your brass.... eventually resulting in a case head separation. If you have a case gauge you can back off your resizing die until you get the amount of sizing and shoulder forming you need and not a bit more. The case gauge will also be able to quickly let you know that a batch of brass is in need of trimming since there is a high and low step for the case neck as well.

2.) As for checking on the condition of your brass, others already touched on that. I will say that when I buy once fired military or range brass I expect to have to swage primer pockets to remove the crimp. Every now and again I will get a few cases that have already had it removed. That tells me it has been fired more than once. I still use them though.

3.) As Mark says if you shoot enough, a case head separation will happen. Get a broken shell extractor and move on.

lunchbox
05-04-14, 19:29
An easy way to check for case head separation is with a bent paperclip, just scratch inside of case and feel for stretch ring where brass is thin.I was just sayin way you could check brass, didn't say they should check every brass. Agreed life's too short and reloading already takes too long as is. Well at least for me and my single stage press it does:haha:.

taliv
05-04-14, 19:37
Ha markm yeah I don't check them at all either much less every one.

I process in batches. When I get separation in a batch I move it to plinking only. I was just posting so people would know why it happens how to check it to validate etc

markm
05-05-14, 08:47
No

3.) As Mark says if you shoot enough, a case head separation will happen. Get a broken shell extractor and move on.

And when you buy a broken shell extractor, you'll NEVER have a separation again. Murphy's law can work for you sometimes. :sarcastic:

Coal Dragger
05-06-14, 02:00
Which is why I own a lot of things, or carry a lot of things that I never end up needing because Murphy is waiting for me not to have a tool, or piece of gear and then he makes sure I need it. For example he demonstrated why as a home owner I need all the wonderful tools needed to replace garage door torsion springs. Had everything but 1/2" winding bars and of course new springs. Now I have winding bars, and a spare spring.

SteveS
05-07-14, 15:59
I have had it happen . No biggie get the broken shell extracted and keep on firing. Check your shells before reloading. Most reloading manuals have the info on how to check for incipient case separation.