PDA

View Full Version : People in CT and IL want to move: Gallop

WillBrink
05-04-14, 09:33
CT is a total mess these days, so no surprise to me. I have no doubt the recent gun related anti 2A behavior of CT adds something to that. IL, well, again, interesting they have high crime rates and terrible gun laws. Would be interesting to know what, if any, their gun laws are a factor to that, and it would be interesting to overlay those who wish to move with level of restriction to 2A Rights.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere
Montana, Hawaii, Maine boast lowest rate of residents wanting to leave

PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%. By contrast, in Montana, Hawaii, and Maine, just 23% say they would like to relocate. Nearly as few -- 24% -- feel this way in Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas.

These findings are from a 50-state Gallup poll, conducted June-December 2013, which includes at least 600 representative interviews with residents aged 18 and older in each state. Gallup measured residents' interest in moving out of state by asking, "Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?"

Thirty-three percent of residents want to move to another state, according to the average of the 50 state responses. Seventeen states come close to that 50-state average. Another 16 are above the average range, including three showing an especially high desire to move. In fact, in these three -- Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland -- roughly as many residents want to leave as want to stay.

At the other end of the spectrum, 17 states are home to a below-average percentage of residents wanting to leave. This includes the previously mentioned six states -- Montana, Hawaii, Maine, Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas -- where fewer than one in four want to move, the lowest level recorded. The detailed results for all 50 states are shown on page 2.

Cont:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168770/half-illinois-connecticut-move-elsewhere.aspx#2

montanadave
05-04-14, 09:42
Makes sense to me. I'm here to stay and, if we take a vacation, we go to Maui. :smile:

MountainRaven
05-04-14, 14:36
Makes sense to me. I'm here to stay and, if we take a vacation, we go to Maui. :smile:

Shh! Not so loud, someone will hear you!

I don't know who they asked those questions... Montana sucks. Everyone I know here wants to leave ASAP.

:jester:

montanadave
05-04-14, 14:47
Shh! Not so loud, someone will hear you!

I don't know who they asked those questions... Montana sucks. Everyone I know here wants to leave ASAP.

:jester:

Well, truth be told, we stick around just cuz we's too poor and stupid to pack up and leave. Besides, we like freezin' our ass of all winter dreaming about those triple-digit summers when it's drier than a popcorn fart.

MONTANA: Where men are men, women are men, too . . . and sheep are scared!

TAZ
05-04-14, 15:26
I just wish that those who choose to leave their POS locales leave their POS political views behind as well. In a lot of cases people leaving those areas are like viruses. They destroy one place with their idiotic policies then move to someplace better and **** it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eurodriver
05-04-14, 16:27
Hawaii shouldn't even be on that list. Its such an anomale. Their gun laws are in the top 5 strictest in the nation but their violent crime is wayyyy down. (Property crime is not, however) They are like their own little country out there.

No.6
05-04-14, 17:43
I just wish that those who choose to leave their POS locales leave their POS political views behind as well. In a lot of cases people leaving those areas are like viruses. They destroy one place with their idiotic policies then move to someplace better and **** it up.

+1 Exactly. Unfortunately most who flee their mess, don't seem to learn from it. Kind of like an immigrant who comes to the US and expects to keep their native language and customs.

skydivr
05-04-14, 17:53

AMEN.

That's exactly what happened to Colorado, Washington and several other states. Like a virus...move to a new host, destroy it, then move to another healthy host...

WillBrink
05-04-14, 18:21
AMEN.

That's exactly what happened to Colorado, Washington and several other states. Like a virus...move to a new host, destroy it, then move to another healthy host...

Exactly what's happening to NH (from the Mass-holes moving there mostly) and VT (from the NY transplants) who bring their BS views with them. Southern NH is now essentially annexed by MA and the people of NH not too happy about it as you'd expect. The Mass-holes move to the NH border towns to avoid the MA taxes mostly, and then push to make it more like MA.

decodeddiesel
05-04-14, 18:43
Exactly what's happening to NH (from the Mass-holes moving there mostly) and VT (from the NY transplants) who bring their BS views with them. Southern NH is now essentially annexed by MA and the people of NH not too happy about it as you'd expect. The Mass-holes move to the NH border towns to avoid the MA taxes mostly, and then push to make it more like MA.

This is essentially what happened with Colorado over the past 10 years or so. Here it was transplants from California, Blue-Texas, and Chicago that did it. God damn granola eating city folks who wanted to move away from the cesspools like Chiraq, LA, and DFW to the "fresh mountain air" where they could hike, smoke dope, eat granola, and ride their ****ing bikes while feeling closer to nature and more "green". :mad::mad::mad:

When I was stationed here initially in 2000, if you told me that they were going to legalize pot and implement a magazine ban (hell even if you told me that in 2010) I would have told you that you were f'ing insane.

BoringGuy45
05-05-14, 10:30
I left CT a year ago and the only things I miss are my family and being able to get New Haven pizza just about anytime I wanted. In CT, you couldn't get a job unless you already had a job, and it was very difficult to keep jobs there as the attitude among most companies big and small was that it was too time consuming (and time is the currency in New England) to train and assist struggling new employees than it was to simply fire anyone who didn't pick everything up right away and keep hiring and firing until you get someone who could do the job almost without training. Also, most jobs that one can actually get without knowing someone are minimum wage, part time, and often temporary. While in most of the country if you see someone having worked at, say, four jobs in five years, it's a red flag. In Connecticut, it's relatively normal. Also, the gun laws, taxes, and red tape are self explanatory as to why the state sucks.

Also, while there were some nice people there, generally speaking, most people are cliquey and unfriendly at best and downright hostile and nasty at worst. Right after my wife got a new job and we moved to a town where neither of us had lived before, we were very quickly given no uncertain notice by her co-workers and neighbors that, as newcomers, we were not welcome and we could go **** ourselves. Her co-workers systematically worked to undermine and sabotage her as she had gotten the position that one of their friends had wanted. After they succeeded in getting her fired and getting her supervisor to promise that she would never give my wife a good reference for anything, they proceeded to take revenge on the two people who hired my wife for doing so. One was forced to resign and the other left when she saw the handwriting on the wall. We left that town with everything short of an angry mob throwing rocks and rotten fruit at our backs. The whole "A cat giving birth in an oven doesn't make the kittens biscuits" mentality is alive and well in some towns there. So, we moved back to the town I grew up in which, while not super warm and friendly, will accept you once the locals get to know you or if they know you through someone (which worked well for my wife). Of course, there were no full time jobs that we could live off of there, so we lived with my parents until we were found jobs out of state.

Alex V
05-05-14, 11:16
Im surprised that NJ is not on the list, who in their right minds would want to stay here? I think the SCOTUS decision to not listen to Drake today was the last straw for me. As soon as we have the $ to buy land and build our dream home, the wife and I are leaving NJ. No idea where we will go or where I will find a job. But, I know we are leaving as soon as possible.

Koshinn
05-05-14, 11:20
What would be interesting is if they asked what state people wanted to move to, then showed how the country would be different in terms of political leanings and population if everyone actually moved to where they wanted to be.

brickboy240
05-05-14, 11:35
I honestly don't know how some of you live in those expensive, cold blue state hell holes. I couldn't take it.

That said, the large number of license plates I see on cars from IL, CA and NY around here is alarming. Are they bringing with them the voting habits of the states they came from?

Some do not. I know a few Yankee transplants that never vote Democrat. They know what brought down their home state and hope it never comes to Texas.

However...many DO come here and vote for the same nonsense that destroyed the places they came from.

I like to be open minded but I cannot help but wonder if the large influx of Yankees and Californians might ruin all that is special about Texas.

-brickboy240

decodeddiesel
05-05-14, 14:50
I know a few Yankee transplants that never vote Democrat.

I am a Connecticut Yankee. I am about as far from a Democrat as you can get.

decodeddiesel
05-05-14, 14:55
I left CT a year ago and the only things I miss are my family and being able to get New Haven pizza just about anytime I wanted. In CT, you couldn't get a job unless you already had a job, and it was very difficult to keep jobs there as the attitude among most companies big and small was that it was too time consuming (and time is the currency in New England) to train and assist struggling new employees than it was to simply fire anyone who didn't pick everything up right away and keep hiring and firing until you get someone who could do the job almost without training. Also, most jobs that one can actually get without knowing someone are minimum wage, part time, and often temporary. While in most of the country if you see someone having worked at, say, four jobs in five years, it's a red flag. In Connecticut, it's relatively normal. Also, the gun laws, taxes, and red tape are self explanatory as to why the state sucks.

Also, while there were some nice people there, generally speaking, most people are cliquey and unfriendly at best and downright hostile and nasty at worst. Right after my wife got a new job and we moved to a town where neither of us had lived before, we were very quickly given no uncertain notice by her co-workers and neighbors that, as newcomers, we were not welcome and we could go **** ourselves. Her co-workers systematically worked to undermine and sabotage her as she had gotten the position that one of their friends had wanted. After they succeeded in getting her fired and getting her supervisor to promise that she would never give my wife a good reference for anything, they proceeded to take revenge on the two people who hired my wife for doing so. One was forced to resign and the other left when she saw the handwriting on the wall. We left that town with everything short of an angry mob throwing rocks and rotten fruit at our backs. The whole "A cat giving birth in an oven doesn't make the kittens biscuits" mentality is alive and well in some towns there. So, we moved back to the town I grew up in which, while not super warm and friendly, will accept you once the locals get to know you or if they know you through someone (which worked well for my wife). Of course, there were no full time jobs that we could live off of there, so we lived with my parents until we were found jobs out of state.

A very accurate assessment of the state of affairs in the Nutmeg State. Held true 14 years ago when I moved away, and in hearing from many of my friends and family still there, it hold true today as well.

MountainRaven
05-05-14, 15:54
Well, truth be told, we stick around just cuz we's too poor and stupid to pack up and leave. Besides, we like freezin' our ass of all winter dreaming about those triple-digit summers when it's drier than a popcorn fart.

MONTANA: Where men are men, women are men, too . . . and sheep are scared!

Backcountry.com even has a list of the top ten reasons to stay out of Montana.

I can verify that all ten of these things are true. Especially the last one.

Link (http://www.backcountry.com/explore/the-top-10-reasons-not-to-visit-montana-ever?cmp_id=sm_fcbkexp37).

I am a Connecticut Yankee. I am about as far from a Democrat as you can get.

Have you ever been or are you now in King Arthur's court?

WillBrink
05-05-14, 16:04

Well, people in that state seem to off themselves are rates higher than others, so it appears a fair % are not so happy:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/montana-s-suicide-rate-leads-the-nation/article_b7b6f110-3e5c-5425-b7f6-792cc666008d.html

Looks like a very pretty place to visit when the weather is nice for some camping or hunting etc, but to live? Not for me at least.

montanadave
05-05-14, 16:09

It's an easy mistake to make. However, it is easily disproved by observing customers in almost any bar or cafe. They tip.

decodeddiesel
05-05-14, 16:39
Have you ever been or are you now in King Arthur's court?

I've been to Samuel Clemens's house, does that count?

SeriousStudent
05-05-14, 21:25

Link (http://www.backcountry.com/explore/the-top-10-reasons-not-to-visit-montana-ever?cmp_id=sm_fcbkexp37).

Chortle. I need to make a list like that for Texas. I could just reverse the temperature curves, and substitute mountain lions for bears.

skydivr
05-06-14, 09:35
On the other hand, Tennessee is a nasty place - I'd suggest all those liberal transplants GO SOMEWHERE ELSE...

Alex V
05-06-14, 09:44
The wife wants to go to Savannah, but its soooo damn hot! Not sure how many Architectural firms are out there... not seeing many job openings :-p

Big A
05-06-14, 10:06
Don't come to Florida, it sucks here. Aligators are everywhere! I tripped over one walking out my front door this morning and nearly lost a leg! Oh and there's spiders too! Big ones, some as big as your head. Also we're very unfriendly people. And we only have 3 seasons, Pollen season, Hell's waiting room and Oh my God it's below 60* we're all going to freeze to death! And there's guns everywhere, yesterday I saw a todler packin' a .357 and lookin bout as mean as a one eyed rattlesnake. It's madness I tells ya! MADNESS!!!!

streck
05-06-14, 10:27
The wife wants to go to Savannah, but its soooo damn hot! Not sure how many Architectural firms are out there... not seeing many job openings :-p

Has anything new been built there since 1930?

WillBrink
05-06-14, 12:21
Don't come to Florida, it sucks here. Aligators are everywhere! I tripped over one walking out my front door this morning and nearly lost a leg! Oh and there's spiders too! Big ones, some as big as your head. Also we're very unfriendly people. And we only have 3 seasons, Pollen season, Hell's waiting room and Oh my God it's below 60* we're all going to freeze to death! And there's guns everywhere, yesterday I saw a todler packin' a .357 and lookin bout as mean as a one eyed rattlesnake. It's madness I tells ya! MADNESS!!!!

Two states I would have expected to be higher on the list, and that's NJ and FL. NJ because "on paper" very similar to CT, and FL, because people in FL seem to complain about it so much. I know a lot people in FL, and they seem to bitch about FL endlessly. I have spent a fair amount of time in FL (mostly southern area) and have a love/hate relationship with FL. There's some things I really like about, some things I really don't and have never been able to decide on the balance if I'd like living in FL. I almost pulled the trigger on a condo several times, but something always stopped me.

I may revisit the idea, but would probably rent at this point. Most of my business and friends live between Miami and Boca, so I'd probably look at Delray Beach area which I like in terms of location to stuff but not too crowded, etc.

Big A
05-06-14, 12:54
Two states I would have expected to be higher on the list, and that's NJ and FL. NJ because "on paper" very similar to CT, and FL, because people in FL seem to complain about it so much. I know a lot people in FL, and they seem to bitch about FL endlessly. I have spent a fair amount of time in FL (mostly southern area) and have a love/hate relationship with FL. There's some things I really like about, some things I really don't and have never been able to decide on the balance if I'd like living in FL. I almost pulled the trigger on a condo several times, but something always stopped me.

I may revisit the idea, but would probably rent at this point. Most of my business and friends live between Miami and Boca, so I'd probably look at Delray Beach area which I like in terms of location to stuff but not too crowded, etc.

My post was sattire, anybody from this board is welcome here sunny FL.

It just seems the few people I meet from the NE seem to bitch about how it is here. They complain about the lack of fall and winter, about it being flat, how the water tastes, how lax our gun laws are, how high our taxes are, etc, etc. I always tell them I didn't invite them here and they're free to leave anytime they wish. And with one exception they're all pretty racist.

Eurodriver
05-06-14, 13:07
It just seems the few people I meet from the NE seem to bitch about how it is here. They complain about the lack of fall and winter, about it being flat, how the water tastes, how lax our gun laws are, how high our taxes are, etc, etc. I always tell them I didn't invite them here and they're free to leave anytime they wish. And with one exception they're all pretty racist.

Agreed, and yet...despite all of that...they stay. WTF?

WillBrink
05-06-14, 13:10
My post was sattire, anybody from this board is welcome here sunny FL.

It's a state full of strong +/- to me, where the balance would fall impossible to know. At this point, I need to just live there for a time and decide for myself I guess. Considering what I do for work, I have no doubt FL would be better for me than where I'm located at least. That's a given.

skydivr
05-06-14, 15:50
Florida is great, as long as:

1. You live on the Beach
2. There are no hurricanes

If #1 and #2 aren't a yes, Florida can suck... :)

WillBrink
05-06-14, 16:34
Florida is great, as long as:

1. You live on the Beach
2. There are no hurricanes

If #1 and #2 aren't a yes, Florida can suck... :)

You have control over 1, none over 2. FL is like that I find, pros/cons that make it difficult to know where the balance falls.

MountainRaven
05-06-14, 21:10
It's an easy mistake to make. However, it is easily disproved by observing customers in almost any bar or cafe. They tip.

Then why do I get a stamp on my passport every time I leave the state?

;)

Chortle. I need to make a list like that for Texas. I could just reverse the temperature curves, and substitute mountain lions for bears.

Oh, you have mountain lions? We have mountain lions, too. Well, when they're not all getting eaten by bears and wolves....

:P