PDA

View Full Version : AR10 Parts and Chamber Options

Razorhunter
06-01-08, 12:35
I've recently purchased this Armalite complete lower, from 762SASS, and I am planning on sending my stripped Armalite upper to GAP for their "Precision AR10 Build".
I have a few questions about some of the parts I will be needing to buy though.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=L10PCB&Category=8780cda4-b901-4b0c-bc96-d7c6ca2b924a

1. Magpul PRS Stock for AR10: I hear there is a "Gen II", so I'm hoping this is the one I will need, as I don't know the difference between this, and a GEN I.
Anyhow, if you take a look at the link above, you will see the complete lower I bought, with 6 position collapsible stock, direct from Armalite. Now will the Magpul PRS AR10 stock work with this buffer tube, OR will I have to replace that buffer tube/receiver extension, for the PRS stock to work???

2. In regards to BCG's, I have ONLY seen Armalite BCG's, for about $257, and then of course there are DPMS and KAC BCG's. I have heard that the Armalite and SR25/DPMS BCG's are NOT interchangeable, so I guess I'll be ordering an Armalite complete BCG. Now I have NOT seen ANY mention of MPI tested bolts, shot peening bolts, etc, so I would like to know if anyone can shed light on the Armalite BCG's??? I mean, I think they are going to be my only option, so I will be stuck ordering one, regardless of how well they are made, but what are the findings on them? Are they MPI'd? Shot peened bolts? Etc?
I realize I can restake the carrier key if needed, so that's not a problem.
Is there ANY other option aside from the Armalite/Noveske BCG's???

3. What kind of buffer do I need to be using in this 20" AR10, w/ rifle length gas system??? In the lower that I purchased (shown above), Armalite included an "H3" buffer, and I did not think that was to be used in a 20" rifled length AR10, but I could be wrong.
If you scroll down to the buffers that Noveske sells in this link, you will see TWO buffer options: "H3 Carbine Buffer" -and- "7.62 Rifle Buffer".
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=10
Therefore, I am a little confused here.

4. Final Question for now. In the link way up above, showing the Armalite lower I bought, WHAT type of buffer tube do I have with this lower? Is it a "RIFLE" buffer tube? Carbine buffer tube?? It appears from Noveskes site, there are two (or more) different LENGTHS of buffer tubes for AR10's, I'm just a little confused here. Trying to get all these AR10 specs down here.

5. If I have GAP install a Bartlein, or other high quality 20" bbl in this gun, WHAT CHAMBER should I ask for? Jeff at GAP says they use a "308 Auto" chamber, which I had never heard of. A couple guys on another forum recommend I ask for an "M852 chamber", and then Noveske uses a "Nm Mod 1" chamber (I think that's right).
How do I go about making the right decision here? I want to get as MUCH accuracy as I can out of this gun, WITHOUT having to worry about all kinds of ammo not working. I don't want to be limited to ONLY rare, limited ammo, that I can never find. However, I certainly will be using the highest quality ammo that is available to me. I don't mind buying that special BH's 7.62 ammo that Noveske sells. I just need to figure out which chamber to have GAP cut in my bbl? I don't want to be sorry that I chose xxx chamber, on down the road. What chamber should I choose, and HOW do I make a decision on what chamber to use?

Thanks for your help with this build guys.

VooDoo6Actual
06-01-08, 18:07
Paul,

This should help you out.

YMMV...

MagPul PRS mounts on Mil-spec rifle length receiver extension tube.

I would check w/ Armalite to VERIFY it is in fact the same tube. It should be.

use this Buffer : Armalite EL1090

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0180&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

this spring :Armalite EL1095

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0210&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

Armalite BCG works just fine.

Ask George if you have any questions. Great guy and he will set you right,
no doubt.

Good luck and looking forwsard to seeing your build.

BTW, IIRC the DPMS BCG works in the Armalite fine so long as the head spacing is correct etc.

was21
06-05-08, 15:08
Paul
I have had GAP build 2 AR10's for me , as well as a couple of bolt guns.
I didn't ask what/how they chamber for, but I do know that they know what they are doing over there in MO.!!! All of mine are scary accurate!!!
All I told them was that I was planning on 175 smk's and 155 scenars and let them do their thing....I don't think you will be dissapointed!
FWIW
Wes