PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a Colt 6951.... less than impressed

gradymstack
05-04-14, 16:47
I've always been interested in Colt's 9mm AR and finally got my hands on one by ordering off of Buds Guns...
Thus far its functioned fine for the roughly 300 rounds I have put through it but there are a few things that have really made me question Colts quality control....

I have purchased a few colt AR's in the past. They all ran perfectly and were in impeccable condition as far as fit and finish. But..... this 6951 not so much.

There are some pretty bad scratches and marks around the trigger guard roll pin. This doesn't bother me too much as it is just a cosmetic thing but its kind of surprising they would ship something out like this.
And what really has me irritated now is that today while at the range by father noticed the hand guards seemed to have an awful lot of wiggle.
Upon further inspection we discovered that the barrel nut was completely loose and we could spin the hand guards freely. This to me just seems completely unbelievable that they wouldn't properly torque the barrel nut on?!

I realize its not the end of the world and it was an easy fix but its still a testament in my mind that Colts quality isn't what it once was.

I wont say ill never buy or recommend a Colt product ever again but I will definitely be taking them out of the box and giving it a really good look over before buying.

The picture doesn't really do it justice, it definitely appears worse in person.
http://s27.postimg.org/6juzd6kgv/IMG_0263.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6juzd6kgv/)

ST911
05-04-14, 17:07
I'd not leap to a "quality isn't what it once was" statement based on your sample. Tool and handling marks to the finish are a norm, and have been. The loose barrel nut is unsat, and warrants a notification to Colt with the pertinents of the gun. I realize it's fixed, but they should know what went out the door. Your advice to check guns over on arrival is wise.

decodeddiesel
05-04-14, 17:40
Even BMW makes a bad starter from time to time. These things happen, and that's why major consumer products have warranties. Saying Colt as a whole has gone downhill due to a sample of one is foolish.

It's a good policy to thoroughly inspect any firearm before accepting delivery/purchase.

Disclaimer: I do not presently own a Colt AR, nor have I in the past.

SeriousStudent
05-04-14, 17:46
I would absolutely let Colt know, so they can trace the serial number through the QC process. Somebody will likely get a "chat" about that loose barrel nut, and they should.

gradymstack
05-04-14, 18:29
I'd not leap to a "quality isn't what it once was" statement based on your sample. Tool and handling marks to the finish are a norm, and have been. The loose barrel nut is unsat, and warrants a notification to Colt with the pertinents of the gun. I realize it's fixed, but they should know what went out the door. Your advice to check guns over on arrival is wise.

I guess I should say that 'in my experience based on the Colts I have purchased over the past few years their quality control has been in decline'.
And I fully expect some machine and tooling marks but this is a little extreme in my opinion. I feel like other manufactures such as BCM or Noveske would sell a lower with those marks as a blemish.

I guess I am a little disappointed as my father and I both purchased 6721's back around 07 and they were absolutely flawless in fit finish. And a 6920 that I purchased about 6 months later was the same.
I also recently bought one of Colts new ar15a4's and the roll mark looked absolutely horrendous. The rifle functioned fine and I am not too picky on small aesthetic flaws but its a little disappointing nonetheless.
Especially considering I know there are other manufacturers out there who I feel fairly confident wouldn't let some of these things out their doors as a first rate product.

I am not trying to bash Colt and I realize they have a lot of fans me being one of them. But again as I said based on my experience I have not gotten the same quality of product for my money as I did a few years ago, others experiences may vary.

Suppose I will send them an email though in regards to the loose barrel nut.

Airhasz
05-04-14, 21:08
If the roll mark was horrendous, why did you buy it? A loose barrel nut I can see not noticing at time of sale but not a fūcked up RM.

gradymstack
05-04-14, 23:26
If the roll mark was horrendous, why did you buy it? A loose barrel nut I can see not noticing at time of sale but not a fūcked up RM.

I ordered it online.

mkmckinley
05-29-14, 18:32
After you corrected the issues hows it run?

Leaveammoforme
05-29-14, 19:49
Even BMW makes a bad starter from time to time. These things happen, and that's why major consumer products have warranties. Saying Colt as a whole has gone downhill due to a sample of one is foolish.

It's a good policy to thoroughly inspect any firearm before accepting delivery/purchase.

Disclaimer: I do not presently own a Colt AR, nor have I in the past.

People get what you are trying to say about 'quality' items but BMW doesn't make starters. They use the same brands as *gasp* honda, mazda, merc benz, etc.