PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce Illumination

danieljmaunder
05-04-14, 17:49
Hey Guys,

I have had the opportunity to shoot some friends Nightforce Scope recently and was pretty impressed. My question though is, do they make models with Daylight visible illumination. I like their FC3-G Reticle, but is the Dot Daylight visible. Also, does anyone have experience with their velocity 600 Reticle.

Thanks,

Maunder

Singlestack Wonder
05-04-14, 19:24
Unfortunately, Nightforce does not offer daylight visible illumination in any of their scopes at this time.

bp7178
05-04-14, 19:30
Its really not needed in the VAST majority of rifle scopes.

Of all NFs scopes, if they did a Short Dot type of thing in the 1-4x, that may be helpful. The only 1-4x scope I had that was decent was a S&B Shot Dot LE. The mil-dot with the flash dot was nice.

That being said, I think for what most people actually do, a mid power scope paired with an offset red-dot is the way to go.

EODbusch
05-04-14, 20:45
I've got the nxs 2.5-10x32 with the velocity 600. It's an extremely nice scope and at first I liked the reticle, but I'm thinking of sending it back for another reticle...wanting to get away from BDC type reticles. It's also the illuminated version and there's really no need to have it on during the day (can't see the illum anyway) due to the clarity. If your going to get a NF and keep it on one dedicated rifle and only shoot 0-600 yards then I'd recommend the velocity 600.

MadAngler1
05-04-14, 21:29
I have had the opportunity to shoot some friends Nightforce Scope recently and was pretty impressed. My question though is, do they make models with Daylight visible illumination. I like their FC3-G Reticle, but is the Dot Daylight visible. Also, does anyone have experience with their velocity 600 Reticle.

They do not make daylight bright illuminated reticles. Yes, it would be killer on their 1-4x model, considering its price and feature set. They refuse to do it because they claim that one must coat the interior of the scope and the lenses with coatings that reduce light transmission, in order to make the dot more visible (at least that is what two reps and several people online have told me over the past four years). Since they are interested in optics that work the best at night, that is not their cup of tea so to speak. While that may be true, I think they are missing a huge chunk of sales (including military) by not making a daylight bright short-dot type scope.

Regardless, as mentioned above, daylight-bright illumination is not really needed in most cases, other than on 1x scopes for those who want a dot. My Nightforce 2.5-10x32's illuminated mil dot reticle works great in low light, and I can usually see the illumination on during the daytime in shaded areas. I rarely turn it on during the daytime though, and reserve it for cloudy or dark/overcast days.

I have no experience shooting with the velocity 600 reticle (as my nightforce has a mil based reticule, and my friends' scopes the same), but it's aimed at those who want to use it for a certain set of loads on a certain caliber hunting rifle. It's a darn good system for that intended purpose, and if you want to know if it's right for you, I would call them and ask about your needs (target vs hunting). If you need something more flexible, use a mil based system.

Here's their ballistic calculator for the velocity reticle: http://www.nightforcereticlecalculator.com/Default.aspx

By the way, I looked through a Beast at the NRA convention. It's right up there with the Kahles and S&B's glass. Very impressive. Maybe they can put the same glass into their 3.5-15 F1 model.

steyrman13
07-16-14, 21:03
I thought they had two version in the nxs lines of illumination. NVD compatible and regular. Mine is plenty bright on its high setting 2.5-10x32