PDA

View Full Version : slide release not for slide releasing?

turnburglar
05-05-14, 01:11
I was at a class a week ago, where I learned from a glock armorer that the "slide release" on my 19 shouldn't be used as such. He described it as a slide stop, and that glock recommends power stroking to get a fresh mag into battery. He said the reason for this is the spring is quite miniscule and can break easily.

What other brands are KNOWN to be similar in function? As in they recommend against using the slide stop as a slide release.

Dead Man
05-05-14, 02:01
Sounds like an unsupportable opinion, to me. I've never heard of any pattern of slide release spring breakage in Glock pistols. Of the few common arguments made for stroking the slide, that's not one.

Just in mentally visualizing the function of the spring in question, thumbing the slide-stop only relieves tension. The magazine follower forces the stop up, against spring tension, and stroking the slide on a fresh magazine allows that spring tension to move the stop back below the slide. The spring is already being worked, either way. Thumbing it doesn't compress it.

So... BS.

Sean W.
05-05-14, 02:22
The same is said about the M&P. Something about auto-forwarding I believe.

nickdrak
05-05-14, 03:21
Its complete nonsense. Just a recycled bit of info that has been passed along for decades without any actual basis behind it.

Some instructors teach not to use the slide stop to release the slide because doing so is what they claim as a "Fine motor skill". Somehow they want you believe that you CAN pull the trigger with your trigger finger, and you can push the magazines release button with your thumb, but there is some mystical force field preventing you from being able to reliably push the slide stop downward with that same thumb to release the slide forward because: "Fine motor skills". :rolleyes:

If your thumb can reach the slide stop lever on any pistol, it is measurably faster and more consistent to use it to send the slide into battery during reloads, etc than using the "power stroking" technique.

I have seen more bungled reloads and gashed open hands due to shooters using the "power stroke" technique than any other means to send the slide into battery.

Only thing I would advise on Glocks would be to add a Vickers slide stop lever.

Hmac
05-05-14, 04:37
It's not a function of the gun, it's a technique preference. Some instructors teach power stroke/overhand slide release , some prefer hitting the release with the thumb and driving on. Personally, I prefer overhand/power stroke but I've seen it taught both ways with equal passion. I confess that the extended slide release on my PPQ has me using that technique more and more, while my PPS and Glock are more amenable for me to power stroke. Same for my M&P, although it auto-forwards about 80% of the time.

Averageman
05-05-14, 06:04
I'm not sure on how the slide stop spring would have anything to do with using a slide stop/release to release the slide and charge the weapon.
Not my method, but it sounds like Malarky (Thats Bullshit in Irish) to me.

walkin' trails
05-05-14, 06:36
In my some 28 years being around Glocks and 15 years as an instructor, I've seen exactly one slide stop spring break. The last Glock armorer class I attended four years ago was the first time it was suggested to overhand the slide in order to get the full amount of energy from the recoil spring to return to battery. I'd never seen any problems with using the slide stop lever, but I can see potential problems when the RCA is getting a little soft and that extra little bit of travel may help. The first time I had heard about the overhand technique was when gross motor skills were stressed. That made more sense to me. Finally, as many times as my Glocks and M&Ps have auto-forwarded, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Keep your springs fresh every 5k rounds and you should not have any issues.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Averageman
05-05-14, 06:43
I just replaced one of my recoild springs last night as a matter of fact.
I can understand the extra bit of energy developed by the overhand method, but as far as motorskills, I'm not so sure. That's okay, to each his own.

Ark1443
05-05-14, 07:16
I don't see a problem with it. It is how I've always done myself, and I've never heard a mention of what he's talking about.

Chameleox
05-05-14, 07:39
It's one of Glock's company lines. I had a particularly good armorer instructor who still had to pitch this to us.. It's bunk, for the reasons already mentioned here.

In addition, by overhanding the slide, I've seen more shooters ride the slide, which has resulted in in/out of battery issues and even stuck gloves and palms. It also keeps my into battery movement consistent from 2 handed to 1 handed.

wahoo95
05-05-14, 07:43
I've heard this before about Glocks and they say its the reason the slide stop is so small. They're speaking on design rather than technique. Same can be said of some other brands which have very small slide stops as opposed to those with larger definitive slide release levers. Makes sense to me when you look at it since it seems they would have designed the lever larger/differently if it were intended as a release lever.

brianc3
05-05-14, 07:52
Its complete nonsense. Just a recycled bit of info that has been passed along for decades without any actual basis behind it.

Some instructors teach not to use the slide stop to release the slide because doing so is what they claim as a "Fine motor skill". Somehow they want you believe that you CAN pull the trigger with your trigger finger, and you can push the magazines release button with your thumb, but there is some mystical force field preventing you from being able to reliably push the slide stop downward with that same thumb to release the slide forward because: "Fine motor skills". :rolleyes:

If your thumb can reach the slide stop lever on any pistol, it is measurably faster and more consistent to use it to send the slide into battery during reloads, etc than using the "power stroking" technique.

I have seen more bungled reloads and gashed open hands due to shooters using the "power stroke" technique than any other means to send the slide into battery.

Only thing I would advise on Glocks would be to add a Vickers slide stop lever.

^ This. I recently installed the Vickers Slide Stop. Part drops right in and has the feel of the M&P slide stop, great part. On my first glock purchase, the guy at the gun shop told me that if I used the slide stop to release the slide that the lever would shear off because it was "thin metal and not designed for that type of usage"....yeah that never happened..

Henchman
05-05-14, 08:10
Slide release for me. On the Glock I use the Vickers. Prior to that the OEM. I'm so sick of the mantra power stroke power stroke. The person that pushes it always makes the same fine motor skills parts breakage argument. When confronted with the question then how can I operate the trigger and the magazine release I never get an intelligent answer. As far as the extra travel to get the pistol in battery, I've seen a lot of slides ridden forward and kept out of battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Rayrevolver
05-05-14, 08:14
My first class I was taught the slingshot, said it works more universally. On my M&P Pro the release took 2 fingers to operate so the slingshot method served me well.

I am back to Glock (mostly) and have switched to the release method, its faster. I use the G34 part on most of Glocks.

YVK
05-05-14, 08:49
In my some 28 years being around Glocks and 15 years as an instructor, I've seen exactly one slide stop spring break.

Mine broke at 8K rounds, plus who knows how many dry fire reloads. That gun has been stagnant at under 15K, so I don't know if the second will break too soon. I saw one break in a class, and know others who broke them. I consider it a maintenance item, although I am not sure of appropriate maintenance intervals.

05-05-14, 08:55
I was taught the overhand method at first. Then when I started shooting CZs and Berettas my slide catch changed into a slide release. CZs have a very low profile slide that can be hard to grasp at speed and the M9 has that slide mounted safety/decock that can be activated with the overhand method. I think it depends on the pistol design and preference as to which method one uses.

moonshot
05-05-14, 09:05
I believe that when the G17 was first introduced to the Austrian Army, the slide stop was intended to be just that - a slide stop. It was too small to be reliably and consistantly hit with the thumb, especially if wearing gloves, and Glock recommended the sling shot release.

This is what ultimately led to the extended slide stop.

I have also heard that the force exerted on the top round via slide stop release is a little less than the force exerted on the top round via sling shot release due to the slightly longer slide travel (and hence slightly greater recoil spring compression) which happens under the sling shot release, and which can cause that top round to seat a little differently in the chamber, effecting POI. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this.

Use whatever method you like to release the slide. They both work.

Brianb23
05-05-14, 09:35
My H&K p30 has a freaking pry bar attached to the side so I assume they want me to push on it. Purpose in design.

TAZ
05-05-14, 09:53
I always giggle at the whole don't use the slide release to complete a reload. In of the same cloth that if you have the fine motor skills to line up sights, manipulate a trigger and mag release then the slide release is no different. IMO Glock made a cheap ass sheet metal slide stop that was difficult to utilize and came up with this story and are sticking to it.

In the end it's irrelevant if you use the lever of the slingshot or the overhand or your belt. Figure out what works for you and train the ever living crap out of it so you don't screw the pooch during live fire. Fumbling reloads and causing failures to feed due to poor technique isn't generally a hardware issue. It's a training one

donlapalma
05-05-14, 10:38
A gun shop employee once told me that you should not use the slide stop as a slide release as it would eventually wear off enough material from the slide stop making it prone to auto-forwarding, etc. I nodded my head, thanked him, walked away and logged that man's face into the "do not speak to ever again" log.

automan
05-05-14, 10:45
In my some 28 years being around Glocks and 15 years as an instructor, I've seen exactly one slide stop spring break. The last Glock armorer class I attended four years ago was the first time it was suggested to overhand the slide in order to get the full amount of energy from the recoil spring to return to battery. I'd never seen any problems with using the slide stop lever, but I can see potential problems when the RCA is getting a little soft and that extra little bit of travel may help. The first time I had heard about the overhand technique was when gross motor skills were stressed. That made more sense to me. Finally, as many times as my Glocks and M&Ps have auto-forwarded, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Keep your springs fresh every 5k rounds and you should not have any issues.

Auto-forwarding-Is that when I slam an M&P magazine into the pistol and the slide goes home with a fresh round in the chamber?

sheperd80
05-05-14, 10:53
I dont understand that spring argument. However ive come to prefer an over-top power stroke. Its how i load a fresh mag and how i clear most malfunctions, so i do it on slide lock reloads as well. I like to keep my handling simple and repeatable.

I can imagine a tense hand a sweaty thumb slipping off some of the tighter slide releases. That being said i see plenty of people use the release with no problems and im sure its slightly faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sheperd80
05-05-14, 11:20
Auto-forwarding-Is that when I slam an M&P magazine into the pistol and the slide goes home with a fresh round in the chamber?

Yes. It works pretty reliably on my M&P but a few times in IDPA i was using 17 rd mags downloaded to 10 (kalifornia) and the auto forward failed to chamber a round. I think it was because the downloaded mag put less tension on the spring and allowed the rounds to bounce as i jammed it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

GunBugBit
05-05-14, 11:36
For competition, there's a strong case for thumbing the slide stop lever down with the support hand as it comes up to the gun immediately after loading a new mag; a shot timer will quickly show you that this technique is faster than slingshotting and a casual consideration of it also says the lever is faster. For non-gaming purposes, work out your own salvation.

BTL BRN
05-05-14, 12:28
A gun shop employee once told me that you should not use the slide stop as a slide release as it would eventually wear off enough material from the slide stop making it prone to auto-forwarding, etc. I nodded my head, thanked him, walked away and logged that man's face into the "do not speak to ever again" log.

Indeed, I have never heard anyone suggest that you might have issues with springs; but I have heard the tales of the "missing material," though in my case it was that the slide itself would be damaged.

TAZ
05-05-14, 12:43
For competition, there's a strong case for thumbing the slide stop lever down with the support hand as it comes up to the gun immediately after loading a new mag; a shot timer will quickly show you that this technique is faster than slingshotting and a casual consideration of it also says the lever is faster. For non-gaming purposes, work out your own salvation.

One would think that getting a gun back up an running faster would be far more important on a 2 way range than in a game. I agree with your sentiment about figuring out what works for you and then proceed to master it.

Spurholder
05-05-14, 13:37
The spring on the Vickers slide releases look pretty close in size to the springs on the OEM slide stops. Just saying.

ST911
05-05-14, 14:18
Using the slide stop lever exclusively as such is a Glock instructional norm and has been for a long time. Using it for that express purpose has also been taught by various schools and trainers regardless of gun, not limited to Glocks. There is merit to not using the lever. Using an overhand (or slingshot) grasp to release the slide offers one technique to operate the slide in whatever condition it's in, closed or open, and for whatever stoppage is being cleared. It also works in the same way with the same hand placement across common semi-autos. Use of the stop/release lever may not work for some shooters due to lever length, position on the gun, size of the contact pad, required grip shift, or exterior condition (debris, blood, wet, etc). It is easily taught to large, diverse, or new groups of shooters and its motions are the same for both left and right handed shooters. It's easily mastered, and doesn't require any situational alternatives.

That being said, criticism of lever-actuated slide release isn't as valid as often asserted. If the thumb can reliably and consistently contact and actuate the lever, and the shooter is willing to train with the lever, there are benefits. It is a quantifiably faster, and can be just as reliable a technique that requires less overall movement and grip shift for right handed shooters. If the lever is ambidextrous or reversible, for left handed shooters as well.

I long used and taught the overhand slide grasp to release the slide, shunning the levers. A couple of years ago I went back to relearn why. Through training, practice, and matches, I found that I could use the lever as reliably as overhand, reap the gains, and now use levers on my Glocks as the norm. I still teach the overhand to students with discussion of the levers as above.

Shoot the guns and see.

HCM
05-05-14, 15:54
Periodic replacement of springs etc. is routine Preventive Maintenance.

I started out using the levers, was taught the overhand technique, used it for several years and have since returned to using the levers myself.

As an FI, I teach the overhand per agency policy and discuss the levers, leaving my guys the option. Most cops are not shooters and do not put a lot of time into gun handling skills so the overhand works in this context. Also from an Agency perspective, we issue SIG DAK's but also allow certain HK LEM's and certain Glocks and the overhand technique works across all three platforms.

Kain
05-05-14, 17:07
If it was not meant to be used to release the slide then they should have put it wear it could not be reached. At least that is my usual response. And if this was the case for glock then why did they make an extended one? Answer me that.

Depending on the firearm dictates how I release the slide personally, as well as situation, glocks, beretta, H&K I generally use slide release, 1911 I end up sling shoting most days since I have a hard time comfortably reaching the slide release. I try to show anyone I am teaching to shoot pistol all the methods and pros and cons of each as well as pros and cons with different firearm models. I don't believe there to be one right way to do it and generally feel anyone who think there is one, and precisely one, way to do a reload, or anything when it comes to shooting(IE, reloads, how to carry mags, releasing slide, even holster position) is narrow minded and not worth trying to learn from since they are trying to make their system work for you when in fact it may not be the best for you.

Chameleox
05-05-14, 17:14
If it was not meant to be used to release the slide then they should have put it wear it could not be reached. At least that is my usual response. And if this was the case for glock then why did they make an extended one? Answer me that.

Some of Glock's extended parts came about when large order customers wanted them. IIRC, a foreign military initially wanted an extended lever for releasing the slide. If that eventually became the current OEM extended slide stop/release, or a different product is beyond me. Apparently the order was in sufficient numbers that it made sense for Glock to go with it. Several years ago, the FBI wanted an extended magazine release that wasn't quite as extended as the factory extended release.

I learned both, practice both, and teach both.

Kain
05-05-14, 17:34
Some of Glock's extended parts came about when large order customers wanted them. IIRC, a foreign military initially wanted an extended lever for releasing the slide. If that eventually became the current OEM extended slide stop/release, or a different product is beyond me. Apparently the order was in sufficient numbers that it made sense for Glock to go with it. Several years ago, the FBI wanted an extended magazine release that wasn't quite as extended as the factory extended release.

I learned both, practice both, and teach both.

My understanding with the FBI part is that it is/was a part that glock would not sell to civies since we were unwashed or something. Not a clue if this is still the case, but remember it being mentioned on another forum. I am running a Vicker's extended in my person 17, so whatever in that regard. Also, isn't there a trigger part or something they did up for the FBI or someone that is unavailable to civilians? Sorry, don't pay too much attention to the small parts.

Anyway, my point being, if these parts are unavailable to civilians than why make the other parts available since Glock has no issue restricting the other parts. I mean if the slide "stop" being used as a release is really an issue why hasn't Glock done something to stop those evil extended ones being put out to the hands of the unwashed? Lol :rolleyes:

Renegade
05-05-14, 17:34
I was at a class a week ago, where I learned from a glock armorer that the "slide release" on my 19 shouldn't be used as such. He described it as a slide stop, and that glock recommends power stroking to get a fresh mag into battery. He said the reason for this is the spring is quite miniscule and can break easily.

Should have asked him why they have serrations for grip and why Glock sells and extended version if it is not intended to be used a slide release.

In 20 years of using Glocks and last 15 as Glock Certified Armorer, I have never encountered broken spring.

Chameleox
05-05-14, 18:05
I don't work for Glock, so take it for what it's worth (see sig line). It's probably more profit driven vs protecting us from ourselves and our methodology.

Chameleox
05-05-14, 18:09
In 20 years of using Glocks and last 15 as Glock Certified Armorer, I have never encountered broken spring.

I have, twice.
Vintage 2006 Gen. 3 G22.

Randy Lee
05-05-14, 20:26
Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt- they are merely my opinions.
From an engineering standpoint, the stamped and formed sheet metal slide stops were never designed with the idea of being used as a slide release. There are two primary contact points where forces are concentrated on Glock slide stop: the ledge that contacts the slide and stops it's forward travel, and the rearmost interior edge of the hole where it bears against the trigger pivot pin. The forces are almost entirely due to the recoil spring being held statically compressed.

When you retract the slide as in power stroking, the forces on the slide stop essentially drop to zero (with the exception of the slide stop return spring pushing the lever down). Retracting the slide fully rearwards also allow the slide to reach a higher velocity when the stripper rail contacts the back of the feeding cartridge. Depending on the magazine, it's loaded state, bullet profile and cartridge overall length, the greater slide velocity at closing will tend to overcome those forces that would tend to cause the bullet to nosedive into the feed ramp and stall. I have witnessed a few instances where this has occurred, although it seems more common when the guns were auto forwarding.

When the slide is released using the slide stop lever, it accelerates wear in the two above mentioned areas as well as lowering the slide velocity when it contacts the back of the feeding cartridge (due to the shorter distance that the slide travels from the slide locked position). The wear on the back end of the slide lock lever can increase the likelihood of auto forwarding as the surface erodes, and the increased wear as the lever pushes forward and rotates against the trigger pivot pin (and its recess or groove that the lever rides in) can increase the chances of trigger pivot pin breakage.

I have seen enough failures of slide stops (cracking as well as springs breaking) and pins to lead me to believe that my points are statistically relevant. I have seen similar issues with the stamped ambidextrous slide stop levers on the M&Ps- Stamped sheet metal simply does not have the same wear characteristics of a more robust slide stop like on a 1911 or H&K, etc.

All I am trying to say is that if I were to explain why MY stamped sheet metal slide stop should not be used as a slide release, I would pose the above points.

walkin' trails
05-05-14, 21:50
I think this is one of those "six of one, half dozen of another" discussions. Either method works. Glock has their peculiarities that haven't always been in line with our way of thinking across the pond. Remember the first Glock mags that were not completely metal-lined and swelled when loaded, and of course were not drop-free?

ST911
05-05-14, 21:58
I think this is one of those "six of one, half dozen of another" discussions.

No, it really isn't. Especially when you get down in the weeds where what works, when, why, and for whom is parsed out.

T2C
05-05-14, 21:59

What other brands are KNOWN to be similar in function? As in they recommend against using the slide stop as a slide release.

I haven't heard anything about the slide stop lever spring being fragile during the Glock armorer courses I attended.

The school of thought for some is to cycle the slide by hand and not use the slide stop lever to charge the weapon. This is a foundation for malfunction clearing as your firearm training advances. One thing is easier to remember than two for most people when operating under pressure.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-05-14, 21:59
Basically, I think you should do what is fastest. Purposely picking the slower route seems like a bad idea. OTOH, you should practice sling shot just in case.

T2C
05-05-14, 22:02
Basically, I think you should do what is fastest. Purposely picking the slower route seems like a bad idea. OTOH, you should practice sling shot just in case.

Sling shot or overhand technique?

Brianb23
05-06-14, 09:27
Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt- they are merely my opinions.
From an engineering standpoint, the stamped and formed sheet metal slide stops were never designed with the idea of being used as a slide release. There are two primary contact points where forces are concentrated on Glock slide stop: the ledge that contacts the slide and stops it's forward travel, and the rearmost interior edge of the hole where it bears against the trigger pivot pin. The forces are almost entirely due to the recoil spring being held statically compressed.

When you retract the slide as in power stroking, the forces on the slide stop essentially drop to zero (with the exception of the slide stop return spring pushing the lever down). Retracting the slide fully rearwards also allow the slide to reach a higher velocity when the stripper rail contacts the back of the feeding cartridge. Depending on the magazine, it's loaded state, bullet profile and cartridge overall length, the greater slide velocity at closing will tend to overcome those forces that would tend to cause the bullet to nosedive into the feed ramp and stall. I have witnessed a few instances where this has occurred, although it seems more common when the guns were auto forwarding.

When the slide is released using the slide stop lever, it accelerates wear in the two above mentioned areas as well as lowering the slide velocity when it contacts the back of the feeding cartridge (due to the shorter distance that the slide travels from the slide locked position). The wear on the back end of the slide lock lever can increase the likelihood of auto forwarding as the surface erodes, and the increased wear as the lever pushes forward and rotates against the trigger pivot pin (and its recess or groove that the lever rides in) can increase the chances of trigger pivot pin breakage.

I have seen enough failures of slide stops (cracking as well as springs breaking) and pins to lead me to believe that my points are statistically relevant. I have seen similar issues with the stamped ambidextrous slide stop levers on the M&Ps- Stamped sheet metal simply does not have the same wear characteristics of a more robust slide stop like on a 1911 or H&K, etc.

All I am trying to say is that if I were to explain why MY stamped sheet metal slide stop should not be used as a slide release, I would pose the above points.

I think you make a great point. This thread seems to be two separate discussions in one. First is which technique is better i.e. faster, and second which gun manufacturers have designed their guns with a "slide stop" and which have a "slide release".

I would have to agree that with the size and quality of the Glock part that it is intended to be simply a slide stop. However manufacturers like HK are intending it to be a slide release. Robustly designed parts like that are exactly why HK costs more than Glock.

Hmac
05-06-14, 09:46
I think this is one of those "six of one, half dozen of another" discussions.

I think this is likely true. Theory aside, I suspect that in the adrenaline-pumping real-world, the speed advantage of one method vs the other is likely moot relative to gunfight-outcome. I'm certain that there are much more important issues representing the deciding factors.

/

Kain
05-06-14, 09:54
The school of thought for some is to cycle the slide by hand and not use the slide stop lever to charge the weapon. This is a foundation for malfunction clearing as your firearm training advances. One thing is easier to remember than two for most people when operating under pressure.

Not calling you out here, but I was discussing this with a friend last night about how in a number of training courses who push powerstroking or sling shot 24/7/365 and dismiss the slide release make this claim that people under pressure it becomes easier for reflex for malf clearing. However, I don't know of any incidents where someone had a malf, be it a misfire, or a FTE or FTF ect, and tapped the slide release expecting magic to happen and the gun to cycle itself. Some may be quicker in diagnosing and clearing malfs than others, but I've never seen one school reliably able to more quickly clear a malf than the other. Indeed the most common issue when dealing with malfs for new shooters is that they just stare at it wondering why the gun is no longer working.

BlaineD
05-06-14, 10:31
Do it the way you want. There is no such thing as better every time. If your fight comes down to the .3 seconds advantage with using the slide stop, you are picking nits. Unless you are gaming.

T2C
05-06-14, 11:23
Not calling you out here, but I was discussing this with a friend last night about how in a number of training courses who push powerstroking or sling shot 24/7/365 and dismiss the slide release make this claim that people under pressure it becomes easier for reflex for malf clearing. However, I don't know of any incidents where someone had a malf, be it a misfire, or a FTE or FTF ect, and tapped the slide release expecting magic to happen and the gun to cycle itself. Some may be quicker in diagnosing and clearing malfs than others, but I've never seen one school reliably able to more quickly clear a malf than the other. Indeed the most common issue when dealing with malfs for new shooters is that they just stare at it wondering why the gun is no longer working.

In my opinion, speed in malfunction clearing should not be stressed as much as being smooth and having the ability to get the pistol back up and running when it malfunctions. You use what works for you and will work for you when you are operating under stress and/or you are injured.

I am not an advocate of the "sling shot" method and prefer the overhand technique. I have had broken bones in my hands as a result of a physical altercation and the sling shot method would not have been possible for me, so I stopped using the sling shot method altogether.

What I teach will never help anyone win a pistol match. You choose whatever works for you depending on the primary purpose of your pistol training.

hossb7
05-06-14, 11:24
Do it the way you want. There is no such thing as better every time. If your fight comes down to the .3 seconds advantage with using the slide stop, you are picking nits. Unless you are gaming.

Keep in mind we're talking about AFTER a reload. So your gun already went dry.

JSantoro
05-06-14, 12:03
I think this is likely true. Theoretical speed advantages aside, I suspect that in the adrenaline-pumping real-world, the speed advantage and gunfight-outcome of one method vs the other is likely moot.

Pretty cogent.

There exist, amongst the commonality-of-movement aficionados, those that will insist on a stack of *insert relevant religious tomes* that slide stop/release practitioners are instituting such a gap in their swing that they risk forgetting the 2nd part of tap/rack/bang (or whatever buzzphrase one uses for IA) when it becomes necessary.

No, you read that right. -- "If you use the slide widget to release the slide, when it comes time to conduct IA....you'll probably hit the widget instead of rack the slide."

Ridiculous, right? I only wish I was kidding. I couldn't talk to that cat, only 1) reconcile myself to the fact that he probably grew up under overhead electrical power lines where he ate lead paint chips and washed down with Sterno, and 2) walk away, lest the Abyss start to stare back at me.

Compared to THAT, these little tete-a-tetes are delightful.

turnburglar
05-07-14, 19:37
I really never intended the thread to turn into technique debate, rather purely technical as related to the strength and purpose of the slide stop on glocks.

Really appreciate the input from this forum.

kevN
05-07-14, 20:26
I would also be interested to know for people using the slide stop how many are using their support hand vs their primary hand thumb. I am currently using my primary hand thumb.

MSparks909
05-07-14, 20:46
I would also be interested to know for people using the slide stop how many are using their support hand vs their primary hand thumb. I am currently using my primary hand thumb.

I primarily use my primary hand thumb on Glocks, but have practiced and am familiar with using my support side thumb (which is what I do for 1911s). Might switch over to using my support side thumb for simplicity's sake in training across platforms. But so far switching back and forth hasn't caused me any issues.

DIRTMAN556
05-07-14, 21:43

Did you happen to shop at a Turner's in San Diego? I was new to handguns and this never made any sense to me at the time or now.

yellowfin
05-07-14, 22:00
Auto-forwarding-Is that when I slam an M&P magazine into the pistol and the slide goes home with a fresh round in the chamber?Yep, and I love mine doing it as it simplifies things for me. I don't rely on it but I like things being faster for when I'm shooting matches.

S. Kelly
05-08-14, 00:15
I was taught in 1989 to use the thumb to release the slide on our brand new, wondernine, Glock 19s. It was ingrained in us to do it that way-we even built up a bit of a callus, as well as muscle memory.
Since then, it's been changed to the overhand technique for new recruits. I still use the slide release with my thumb. We are allowed to do it that way (like we'd listen anyway) due to the fact they don't want to mix up the training.
To be honest, most of our trainers are great and do the best they can, with as little as they have. And this in an area with an anti gun culture and with people who've never held (or really seen) a handgun or rifle in their lives.