PDA

View Full Version : New Project - TRP Goodness

blriehl
05-05-14, 06:45
No secret I like TRPs. A lot. And when you find one sub- $1k in LNIB, they represent the highest ROI in the 1911 world you can find.

The subject of the experiment:

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/Gunsmithing/20140505_072154_zpsad3r5bd7.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/Gunsmithing/20140505_072154_zpsad3r5bd7.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/Gunsmithing/20140505_072140_zpscymq3lv2.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/Gunsmithing/20140505_072140_zpscymq3lv2.jpg.html)

First thing to go: the sights. This one is missing a lamp on the rear sight.

Detail strip, comments, pictures, criticisms and praise to follow along with a outline of the project (still being solidified).

Got UZI
05-05-14, 07:14
Sub $1,000!?? I'd have bought it too

Dave Berryhill
05-05-14, 08:04
What are your plans for the TRP?

blriehl
05-05-14, 08:16
Dunno yet, Dave.

Maybe a little, maybe a lot. I got an itch to use the EDM though.

STS
05-05-14, 09:29
I'm curious how you feel it compares to your Pro's.

blriehl
05-05-14, 10:56

The devil is in the details. This gun has the 4 things needed to be a great gun - that being a excellent slide and frame, a good barrel fit just about right, and a good extractor. The price difference between this and a Pro is eaten up by the mag well, sights, grip safety, and the Black T (I like the AK better, as it seems to wear better in my experience).

Ranger325
05-05-14, 13:36
Very nice - great price too!! Can't wait to hear your plans....................

Ttwwaack
05-06-14, 02:06
This model is pretty maxed out already. The only things that I could see being done easily is sights (tall 10-8s personally) without a trip for refinish.

Potential things that popped into my head if everything else is sound would be a nice high cut trigger guard (frame re-finish), re-cutting the molded in 20 LPI checkering on the S&A magwell and doing a round butt and bevel the sides of the magwell. It would only require a refinish of the the magwell. I would also insure it was fitted good n tight to the bottom of the frame and blended internally to the frame. If you plan of shooting alot as a southpaw, a right side safety support stud which I'd park and red Loc-Tite in. These again are potential and user preferred for ergonomics or asthetics. YMMV.

Nice score.

1911-A1
05-06-14, 15:14
I agree on the sights. The stock Novaks are great, but I'd rather have something I could hook on a table or belt. I'd also rather have a fixed magwell/MSH since mine shoots loose, even after locktite. I'll probably swap it out for an all-in-one unit that doesn't have the ILS in it as well.

fixit69
05-06-14, 15:17
Nice pickup at a good price. Waiting for details and pics.

rebelsooner
05-06-14, 15:26
What's the model number for the trp without the rail?

I've been thinking about getting a 1911 and starting from scratch and doing what I want to it and if I did that I'd probably do the colt xse or 1991 gov't carry.

But after seeing this, it's thrown a wrench in my plan...

I've never shot the trp but I've read good things about it except that the front checkering is a little aggressive. Given the choice between a trp w/out rail and the two colts listed above what would you guys recommend?

Can't wait to see the pictures of your project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palmguy
05-06-14, 20:11
What's the model number for the trp without the rail?

I've been thinking about getting a 1911 and starting from scratch and doing what I want to it and if I did that I'd probably do the colt xse or 1991 gov't carry.

But after seeing this, it's thrown a wrench in my plan...

I've never shot the trp but I've read good things about it except that the front checkering is a little aggressive. Given the choice between a trp w/out rail and the two colts listed above what would you guys recommend?

Can't wait to see the pictures of your project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC9108LP

I have girl hands and the front strap checkering on my TRP doesn't really bother me.

decodeddiesel
05-06-14, 23:45
AWESOME!!! I love your build threads! The Sig build on pf was epic. I can't wait to see this unfold!

Pappabear
05-07-14, 01:17

I have a TRP and it was my first 1911. It has over 5k rounds through it and has literally never had a MF. I love the gun. I have a Pro as well and it of course is awesome. But for $1k less, that TRP feels and performs like a custom gun.

Checkering will grow on you.

PB

blriehl
05-07-14, 06:40
I have a TRP and it was my first 1911. It has over 5k rounds through it and has literally never had a MF. I love the gun. I have a Pro as well and it of course is awesome. But for $1k less, that TRP feels and performs like a custom gun.

Checkering will grow on you.

PB

No lie - the Springer 20lpi is my second favorite checkering of all. Only exceeded by the Heirloom shop with their lovely hand cut stuff....ordered extra sharp. :cool:

blriehl
05-07-14, 06:41
AWESOME!!! I love your build threads! The Sig build on pf was epic. I can't wait to see this unfold!

Thanks dude! I love messing around with guns. Takes the edge off the day.

nolt
05-07-14, 13:22
hey man. :)
interested in seeing pics when you get something torn up.

(...and Baer 20 is just as sweet to me. havent felt HP. =| )

Kain
05-07-14, 13:34
I have owned a TRP since 2008, and I do love mine. I intend to change out the sights at some point, though have been fine with the Novaks for the time being. Have changed out the two piece guide rod for a GI one. Have thought about pulling the magwell from time to time, but so far I have not. On a note though, the magwell on mine has always been tighter than hell. Other than that it has eaten everything I've fed it.

Deals can be had if you shop around too, saw an older TRP, with the factory wooden grips, and looking like it was shot very little, pop up local for $800 a couple months back, but I didn't have the cash and my tax return was still a week out. :(

RepeatDefender
05-07-14, 21:43
I once had a TRP and I foolishly let it go...now I've been on the hunt for one in my price range or trade bait for four years. I think one will finally be mine again on Saturday.

GunBugBit
05-08-14, 14:04
On top of a very nice fitting job to give balanced accuracy and reliability, and a good set of desirable features, Springfield puts that very pretty matte black Armory Kote (it's just Gun Kote I believe) on the black TRP. Mine has been a gem since day one, just like many others out there.

Springfield is to be commended for the job they do on these, at the price point they ask.

JHC
05-08-14, 14:45
No lie - the Springer 20lpi is my second favorite checkering of all. Only exceeded by the Heirloom shop with their lovely hand cut stuff....ordered extra sharp. :cool:

If I ever stipple the front of a Glock frame it'll be to replicate that 20 lpi. Hurts so good.

Nightstalker865
09-07-14, 23:06
Any updates on the project?