PDA

View Full Version : Lancer Systems Translucent Mags

Rogue7a
06-01-08, 17:00
We recently received some test samples from Lancer Systems of thier new Translucent Magazines. These assemblies have been commisioned by Colt as a replacement for the current USGI stamped sheet metal ones. We questioned the deablility of this system because according to MAGPUL the PMAG was not produced in a translucent form for use other then training because it could not stand up to combat use. When this question was placed with Lancer they assured us we would not have any such issues.

Initial Impressions:
The magazine compared to the PMAG does not feel as stout but compares to a USGI Magazine. The magazine incorporates a USGI type follower that in our opinon needs to go. The capacity is the same as USGI (A spec required by COLT) so you can only load 28 rounds if you want to facilitate a tac reload without having to slam the mag in. Lancer has informed us that the new "Non USGI" Magazine will correct the follower issues by utilizing a MAGPUL type anit tilt follower and also the capacity issue. The advantages of a translucesnt magazine are obvious so I don't think I need to waste yours or my time on the benefits.

How does it function? so far not a hic-up and has run just fine in HK416's both suppressed and un suppressed (Something USGI Mags unless brand new have issues with)

I will post more as we play with them.

http://i26.tinypic.com/f3ga5f.jpg

variablebinary
06-01-08, 18:35
I think you'll find the L5 to be up to the challenge. They have been out for a couple of months now, and people have been abusing them not only to test for durability, but perhaps with the sole intent of seeing how they compare to the PMAG

So far, so good. Not much in the way of negative feedback yet

Ridge_Runner_5
06-01-08, 20:36
I enjoy mine!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/DSC_0004-1.jpg

Shihan
06-06-08, 02:20
FYI the follower does differ from the standard USGI.

Perryguy
06-06-08, 16:21
Like 'em just try not to slather too much DEET on them, softens the plastic or so i have heard.

Lumpy196
06-06-08, 17:22
Amazingly enough, the instructions that come WITH the mag say that same thing.

militarymoron
06-06-08, 19:27
damn - there goes my bright idea to use DEET as my go-to weapons and magazine feed lip lubricant.

Rogue7a
06-06-08, 23:22
Instructions like that are for the "Lowbrow" kinda like the sign above the urinal that says "Don't eat the big white mint"

LancerSystems
06-09-08, 12:20
Amazingly enough we sent some T&E out with the instructions and gave our standard overview...T&E was conducted and the mags were returned after they were done and yep the area around the feedlips were damaged due to DEET exposure...fired great but DEET impacts the feedlip area...when the box was opened (I wasn't there) there was a very strong odor...I can confirm that it wasnt just a casual exposure...anyway...we now know what we already knew...I guess this is what happens...we have tried to remain as open about it as possible...anyone ever read on the plastic issue canteen where it warns you not to expose to open flame...I thought that was needless...but now I understand...

Greg
www.lancer-systems.com/html

CarlosDJackal
06-11-08, 21:39
I have four so far and am really liking them. Having the ability to count how many rounds in the magazine alleviated having to empty the mag and then reload it with the right number (for drills and such).

I am planning on buying a couple more and using them at the Vickers class mid-July. :)

variablebinary
06-12-08, 05:11
They arent just for AR's either

http://home.comcast.net/~armandoc14/XCRcarbine.jpg

AnchorArmament
06-12-08, 12:39
I hear a lot of comments about how the L5 does not feel as strong as a Pmag. They are made from different materials, with different mag body designs. We beat the hell out of USGI, H&K, Pmag and L5 mags before we became a Lancer partner. The Pmag and L5 survived our tests with barley a mark. The H&K and USGI mags suffered much more. Needless to say, we no longer carry metal mags.

The L5 seems to be as strong as the Pmag and it weighs less and is less bulky. I don't think people realize that the L5 can be lighter and more flexible and be just as strong. The design and materials allow for that.

recon
06-12-08, 16:53
Are you guys still developing a new follower for the L5?

LancerSystems
06-12-08, 20:09
Are you guys still developing a new follower for the L5?

We are developing a follower option that allows the L5 magazine to be easily inserted into a rifle with a closed bolt when loaded with 30 rounds. This follower is being designed with the front and rear legs of equal length to minimize tipping.

The proof of concept prototypes are complete and currently in testing. The finished product is still many months away. As you can appreciate, we need to extensively test the follower before it will be released.

The current follower design will not be eliminated or made obsolete. It's been extensively tested and we’ve (and our customers) have found the current design to works.

If anyone has had problems, issues or can provide information to the contrary please send me an email svilardi@lancer-systems.com with details and your contact information.

Thanks
Scott
:D