PDA

View Full Version : training class with S&W 340pd

THEACGUY
05-05-14, 16:39
This might might sound crazy but I plan on taking an advanced concealed carry training class with my new 340pd purchase. The shooting instructor said to bring the gun you carry the most, which is going to be my new revolver. This is actually my first revolver period. My question is, I am going to this class with 200 rounds of 105 grain .38 special. Is this the type of revolver to be taking to these types of classes where you are shooting hundreds of round's in a weekend? Is the scandium alloy meant to withstand hard use as in, I will be attending different concealed carry classes every month?

3is
05-05-14, 17:30
This might might sound crazy but I plan on taking an advanced concealed carry training class with my new 340pd purchase. The shooting instructor said to bring the gun you carry the most, which is going to be my new revolver. This is actually my first revolver period. My question is, I am going to this class with 200 rounds of 105 grain .38 special. Is this the type of revolver to be taking to these types of classes where you are shooting hundreds of round's in a weekend? Is the scandium alloy meant to withstand hard use as in, I will be attending different concealed carry classes every month?

not to be offensive, between the 340pd and 200 rounds in one day, I think the user is the weakest link. these scandium belly guns are useful tools but can make even the most hardened shooter...tender after about 100 rounds of it. I actually sold my scandium 340 to get a aluminum 442 for a little extra weight to make it a gun I would practice with. that and I didn't trust that locking mechanism loosening up or activating accidentally.

THEACGUY
05-05-14, 18:25
not to be offensive, between the 340pd and 200 rounds in one day, I think the user is the weakest link. these scandium belly guns are useful tools but can make even the most hardened shooter...tender after about 100 rounds of it. I actually sold my scandium 340 to get a aluminum 442 for a little extra weight to make it a gun I would practice with. that and I didn't trust that locking mechanism loosening up or activating accidentally.
I did have it in mind about the recoil. I am hoping the 105 grain will help out.

T2C
05-05-14, 18:30

Train with what you will be using when it hits the fan. 200 rounds out of a J Frame in one day is easily done.

Focus on the fundamentals and train like you mean it.

SeriousStudent
05-05-14, 21:15
Greg Bell (one of the mods here) and Skintop911 (another mod here) have both put of some threads and AAR's about training with J-frames. I agree with T2C - 200 rounds is doable.

Ammo manipulation is going to be interesting for you. Speedloaders, speed strips, pouches and carriers - you may want to really look into that. I've done a class with a J-frame, and you get real good at feeding the hungry little beast.

Also, make sure you are not "that guy" in the class. If everybody else is shooting 9mm pistols that carry 15-20 rounds on board, and they are always waiting for you to reload........

Not telling you your business, or trying to sound preachy, just offering some help. If that's what you carry the most, I think it's a solid idea to get training with that weapon.

SpankMonkey
05-05-14, 21:21
Take oil, a AP brush and chamber brush. You will need it. Buy several speed loaders.

SeriousStudent
05-05-14, 21:49
Take oil, a AP brush and chamber brush. You will need it. Buy several speed loaders.

I've seriously debated Rick Devoid's Powder Eater mod on my Model 60 for exactly what you are referring to.

T2C
05-05-14, 22:10
If the course of instruction facilitates using them, pick up a couple of Speed Strips and train with them as well. It will help you to identify the strengths, weaknesses and training points for ancillary equipment you may use with your J Frame.

ST911
05-05-14, 22:33
OP- Visit with your instructor and specifically discuss your intention to run a J. His class structure and exercise design may be focused on autos. While he may allow it, ask him to be candid about what your realistic expectations and outcomes should be, as well as your effect on the rest of the class. You note that it's your first revolver, and you don't seem to have acquired any pre-class experiences with the gun. You might consider working with it independently (dry and live) before you take an advanced class.

The ultralight Js are manageable, but they're harder to go the distance with than the aluminum or steel guns. 200rds is doable for most folks with smart ammo choices, but shoot the gun to see what your tolerance is. CT405 grips help. For least recoil, I like this load: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/589514/black-hills-cowboy-action-ammunition-38-long-colt-158-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding. Other 148 HBWC target loads are pretty soft shooting, but aren't reload friendly.

Check out snub specific training and reference material from Michael de Bethencourt (www.snubtraining.com), Claude Werner (http://www.dryfire-practice.com/), and others. An AAR on an MdB class I took is here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?140643-AAR-Michael-de-Bethencourt-snubtraining-com-Folding-Knife-Snub-Courses-10-11-13-13

Check out our own Greg Bell's comprehensive J thread, which contains some thoughts on different variants:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?113852-Project-Break-my-J-frame

Rob96
05-06-14, 03:04
Not sure if this applies to 357 magnum cartridges but it specifically states on the barrel not to use under 120gr ammo.

THEACGUY
05-06-14, 05:50
You guys are great. Thank you for the info and awesome advice. Skintop911 that was helpful.

newyork
05-06-14, 07:33
Skintop1911, that is one helluva great AAR. I wish I could take that weekend of courses as a new j frame owner. Being 2000 miles away and with a full schedule it's not possible now.

Either way thank you for supplying so much information and so many good links. Glad the OP started this thread.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-07-14, 17:47
I think you would be Mr. awesome to take an advanced handgun class with a snub. In most of the QUALITY classes I have taken the round count/pace wasn't enough to make it punishing--even with a LW revolver. I keep swearing I am going to do it but never do.

newyork
05-07-14, 19:28
I'd like to try it but I need to be better acquainted with revolvers. Just started. Agreed. Kudos to the OP if he does it.

CAVDOC
05-08-14, 12:18
My most frequent carry is a steel model 36 from the 1960's the extra ounces do not seem to matter when I carry it even in an ankle holster but do make a big difference in practice sessions using standard 158 lead round nose.