PDA

View Full Version : PSA 14/7 lightweigh vs VR Voodoo

regal
05-06-14, 16:16
I want to do a lightweight entry AR build. Not sure I want to deal with the paperwork for a SBR. The PSA is advertised as lightweight and is a much better price than the voodoo but I'm not sure its truly lightweight? I know I almost bought their 12.5 upper last year till I found out it weighed more than my S&W M&P OR upper. Still the same dea

Moonlight Again
05-06-14, 18:18
All I can suggest is to e-mail them and ask for an all up weight on their 14.7 lightweight, and then go from there.

eodinert
05-06-14, 18:31
Most of the weight of the rifle is in the barrel, and those lightweight PSA's feel pretty good. I personally wouldn't go 14.5 without a stamp, threaded barrels are nice.

regal
05-08-14, 13:34
Yea I just don't want to go the stamp route, too many technicality they can throw at you should something happen.

I have been planning a lightweight build for 2 years and not gotten very far.

One thing that cancerns me is the gas block attachement, seems buying a LW mid DD 14.5" is unobtainable with a proper pinned gas block. I have been on "email when available for 2 years and never received an email.) How robot are thes "screw on" gas blocks?

Also in general any lightweight experts want to chime in to give me general advice. The PSA mid LW isn't lightweight IMHO, not a pencil barrel. Its more not an over weight as so many barrels have become common place.

There is a nice looking clamp on gas block at midway that has a raile on top and bottom, comments are that is seals and stays sealed better than the scree on. But by the looks of it I think it may be heavier than MOE hadguards + the triangles pluse the GB. An 11" troy free float may weigh less than that combo.

I just need some experienced input. My goal is off course range time but also a close rang/entry type rifle for home defense, I want to bring out the lightweight incredicble ergonomics of the AR.. I've truly given up on AK, IMHO they have become stricly for collectors now days. Comblock built AK's are they way to go and they are so much more expensive than a quality AR, and with 7N6 banned there is not much point that was very quality accurate ammo such a shame losing that . Owning an AK-74 is just collecting IMHO now days.

Any tips on an extremely ergonomic LW 14.5" AR build would be appreciated.

turnburglar
05-08-14, 13:59
Well if you really want to get light, nothing beats an ELW Kmr upper from bcm. That's about as light as one can possibly get.

BufordTJustice
05-08-14, 14:27
Well if you really want to get light, nothing beats an ELW Kmr upper from bcm. That's about as light as one can possibly get.

THIS.

Or a BCM ELW with an MI SSK KeyMod rail. A 16" version of either of those might even be lighter and you can swap gas blocks, handguards, and muzzle devices ALL YOU WANT.

regal
05-08-14, 15:07
Wow that is nice, no mention of weight or pencil barrel I will email for more details. The PSA was selllng for $320 so quite a difference in price, but you usually get what you pay for.

I kinda of wanted to build this one from parts, learning experience. I am interested in the reputation of the voodoo barrels?