PDA

View Full Version : Is all Lake City brass created equal?

Onyx Z
05-06-14, 22:13
I have tons of assorted LC brass, mostly LC 12, but as far back as 10 years or so. I've read on Arfcom that some folks tend to stay away from certain year headstamps, but considering the source of this info, I'm not sure what to think.

Obviously, it will be sorted by headstamp, but if some are of lesser quality, I would like to load for use where I don't need to or can't pick up brass.

Is all LC brass created equal?

Steel head
05-06-14, 23:06
I'm curious as to others answers.
I separate my LC brass from other brass and save it for my lil group loads.
So far for me LC seems to work better for that.
Mine is mostly 09, 11 and 12

kry226
05-07-14, 08:44
I too separate my LC from others simply for consistency's sake, but seem to have a couple of types (with and without the NATO cross) of same year groups (mostly 2010). So, what is the difference between the LC brass with and without the NATO cross?

markm
05-07-14, 08:51
Not all LC is created equal. I have some 06 NATO cross brass that was loaded for the red box AE223. And the case heads on those could be used to cut diamonds. That's some awesome brass. I pull that ammo down and load Mk262 clone defense ammo with it. The primer crimps are beasts to remove and the primer pockets are nice and tight.

On the flip side "L C 1 0" headstamped brass has been the weakest case heads of the LC family that I've run into. Maybe other years too... but I just see a lot of 2010 in the loose pocket pile. I guess part of the softer heads is the simple head stamp that doesn't work harden the brass very much.

Most other LC just kind of falls in the normal brass category. I sort NONE of it based on head stamp alone. We've never seen any gain in group size by grabbing all similar head stamps.

The only sort off I will do is with weak/loose primer pockets. A loose pocket goes in that pile regardless of head stamp.

kry226
05-07-14, 14:44
Not all LC is created equal. I have some 06 NATO cross brass that was loaded for the red box AE223. And the case heads on those could be used to cut diamonds. That's some awesome brass. I pull that ammo down and load Mk262 clone defense ammo with it. The primer crimps are beasts to remove and the primer pockets are nice and tight.

On the flip side "L C 1 0" headstamped brass has been the weakest case heads of the LC family that I've run into. Maybe other years too... but I just see a lot of 2010 in the loose pocket pile. I guess part of the softer heads is the simple head stamp that doesn't work harden the brass very much.

Most other LC just kind of falls in the normal brass category. I sort NONE of it based on head stamp alone. We've never seen any gain in group size by grabbing all similar head stamps.

The only sort off I will do is with weak/loose primer pockets. A loose pocket goes in that pile regardless of head stamp.

I know this may seem like a simpleton question, but what is your exact process for identifying that LC brass which has loose pockets? I've been working up loads with both Varget and CFE223 in some once-fired LC brass (most of which is 2010, 2011, and 2012) and it seems like every 10th round has a backed-out primer, even with normal book loads (25.5 gr Varget and 26ish gr CFE223). Rifle is an LMT 16". Head space on sized brass checks out. Not under powered, and even some primers show slight flattening.

Culprit?

Onyx Z
05-07-14, 15:14
I know this may seem like a simpleton question, but what is your exact process for identifying that LC brass which has loose pockets? I've been working up loads with both Varget and CFE223 in some once-fired LC brass (most of which is 2010, 2011, and 2012) and it seems like every 10th round has a backed-out primer, even with normal book loads (25.5 gr Varget and 26ish gr CFE223). Rifle is an LMT 16". Head space on sized brass checks out. Not under powered, and even some primers show slight flattening.

Culprit?

If the primer doesn't require some force to seat, the primer pockets is too loose. When I'm seating a primer on a loose primer pocket, I can barely feel the primer enter the pocket. It feels like it just bottoms out with nothing in it.

markm
05-07-14, 15:41
If the primer doesn't require some force to seat, the primer pockets is too loose. When I'm seating a primer on a loose primer pocket, I can barely feel the primer enter the pocket. It feels like it just bottoms out with nothing in it.

This. I run the Sinclair priming tool. It's a low volume, more precision oriented tool. But I run it anyway because of the great primer seating feel.

I don't know what you mean by "backed-out primer". Like the primer is sticking out beyond flush with the case head? If so, I'd ask what crimp removal tool was used? Possibly the pocket was over swaged?

kry226
05-07-14, 21:33
This. I run the Sinclair priming tool. It's a low volume, more precision oriented tool. But I run it anyway because of the great primer seating feel.

I don't know what you mean by "backed-out primer". Like the primer is sticking out beyond flush with the case head? If so, I'd ask what crimp removal tool was used? Possibly the pocket was over swaged?

I'll be the first to admit a possibly over-swaged pocket, but yes, the primer was backed out a couple thousandths I'd say. But I've only had it happen with the LC brass. I use a Lyman prep center and have swaged LC, TAA, WCC, and Wolf cases. LC is the only brass that is giving me this fit. I'll try to get a pic up in the morning.

kry226
05-08-14, 04:48
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/kry226/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05-08%2004.45.06.jpg (http://s.photobucket.com/user/kry226/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05-08%2004.45.06.jpg.html)

markm
05-08-14, 09:13
I'll be the first to admit a possibly over-swaged pocket, but yes, the primer was backed out a couple thousandths I'd say. But I've only had it happen with the LC brass. I use a Lyman prep center and have swaged LC, TAA, WCC, and Wolf cases. LC is the only brass that is giving me this fit. I'll try to get a pic up in the morning.

That's the problem I had with swaging. Not all brass swaged right at any given setting. In fact.... not even brass of the same kind swaged consistently. I just went to the hornady pocket reamer. It's idiot proof for the most part and keeps things simple for high volume loading.