PDA

View Full Version : Glock grip reduction questions

kaltblitz
06-01-08, 19:29
So I'm considering getting a grip reduction on my Glock 21 that I carry on duty. There is another guy in my department that had Bar-Sto do the reduction on his gun and it feels pretty good to me. I'm looking at both Bar-Sto and Dane Burns to have the work done. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Also, I have Trijicons on my gun right now but am considering having a set of the Heinie's installed. My Trijicons shoot to point of aim perfectly right now. Will the Heinie's shoot to the same point?

IrishDevil
06-01-08, 21:21
Never used them on a G21, but I have Heinie Straight 8's on a 19 and 17. They work great, shoot to POA, no problems.

COLT6933
06-01-08, 21:32
I have a 21 done by Bowie Tactical Concepts. I also have a 17 and a 19 done by him;)
I have seen and shot a few different grip reductions and Bowie's work was clearly the best. My last one took David a little over 16 weeks to complete. Well worth the wait

Why do you want to change the sights? I have been running trijicons forever and last year i decided for some reason to try Heinie straight 8's and i just couldn't get used to them. I have been using 3 dot for so long and tried for months to get used to the Heinies.

wahoo95
06-01-08, 22:43
I highly recommend Gary Wendell over at Wendell Tactical Concepts! I have a G23 & G24 done by him and his work is first rate. My G24(OD Green) is pictured on his website:

http://www.wendelltacticalconcepts.com/Examples.htm

Striker5
06-02-08, 07:34
+1 on David Bowie. He did a G19 reduction on my 17. Courteous, professional and he did a great job. Unfortunately, his best years are behind him as a musician.:D

Gutshot John
06-02-08, 09:51
About two years ago I had two Glocks done by DR Middlebrooks. A G19 for my wife and a G34 for me. Simply put the work is awesome and its the functional (rather than cosmetic) details make a big impression. For instance he was the first I saw who added the half-moon magazine cutout.

His reduction flattens the palm swell which drops the grip angle ever so slightly, but it became the most pointable gun I've ever held once I adjusted to the difference. The less rounded and more angled nature of the backstrap also made it easier for my palm to find the right place to grip. He also radiuses under the trigger guard allowing for a higher grip.

Honestly his stippling isn't pretty to look at (he calls it "beaver fur") but it's extremely effective. If you wear gloves his "aggressive" stippling is pretty is as pretty does. If you shoot a lot bare-handed he will make it as aggressive as you wish. At first I asked for aggressive but after shooting a match without gloves I asked him to tone it down significantly. He did and now I think it's perfect.

My wife had a very hard time with the Glock due to her smallish hands (I have small hands as well) as it would often feel like it was slipping in her hands. She agrees that DR's reduction perfected the Glock for her.

[edited to add]

Here are some pics of his reduction:

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/forums/tsa/showpost.php?p=77&postcount=6

coltm4223
06-02-08, 10:25
I had Dane Burns do a grip reduction on my G-30, and when I got it back I thought it was a G-19. He did a good job and when I compared the trigger reach measurement to G-30SF, mine is still .02 shorter. Turn around time was two weeks.

Jay Cunningham
06-02-08, 10:42
I highly recommend Gary Wendell over at Wendell Tactical Concepts! I have a G23 & G24 done by him and his work is first rate. My G24(OD Green) is pictured on his website:

http://www.wendelltacticalconcepts.com/Examples.htm

I just perused his site - his work does indeed look impressive.

JollyRouge
06-03-08, 03:54
Robar?

They did the 35 I carry on duty. They cut it down to match the 23C I carry off duty.

Edit: Sights? On a Glock? TFO's. No questions.

dojpros
06-05-08, 09:40
I did the "Middlebrooks" (heating the backstrap and pushing it in without removing or adding any material) myself along with some stippling. Both modifications make my glocks more shootable.

MX5
06-06-08, 07:10
I do my own work and have modified many Glocks in this way. If I was to send mine to someone, It'd be Bowie Tactical in southern Ohio. I've known Dave for a long time and his work is first rate.

Gentle Ben
06-06-08, 09:42
I'd be happy to do it for you. ;)

Gentle Ben
01-03-09, 11:31
Thanks for your business, kaltblitz. I hope your Glock is serving you well. :)