PDA

View Full Version : value question. .

MW556
05-07-14, 21:57
Looking for opinions on how much I should ask for my custom build. I would like to sell or trade it but not sure what to value it at. . Here's the build list:
BUILD LIST
Stripped Seekins Lower sp223 milled:
Daniel Defense LPK:*
Magpul ctr stock mil spec:*
Magpul + pistol grip rubberized:*
KNS anti roll pins:*
Aac Mil spec buffer tube,*
Aac buffer spring*
Aac t2 tungsten buffer:*
Seekins bolt release:*
Cera coated tungsten:

Centurion 16" LW Midlength Gas System Barrel Its basically a machine gun rated Barrel: Centurion Complete BCG :*
Standard a2 flash hider:
VLTOR Low Profile Gas Block:*
Parallax Tactical Tungsten Cerakoted Upper:
Parallax Tactical Tungsten Cerakoted FFSSR 13" Rail:*
Aac charging handle :*
2 Troy 30rd mags:
2 pmag
sig micro red dot
Streamlight tlr1 s

http://i57.tinypic.com/34or6mq.jpg

Airhasz
05-07-14, 22:52
Did you put lots of ammo through it?

MW556
05-07-14, 22:53
Never been fired

Airhasz
05-07-14, 23:04
Probably have to part it out to get most of your money back.

MW556
05-07-14, 23:06
I definitely don't want to go that route. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Leaveammoforme
05-08-14, 00:10
Did you win this rifle or something? You have two threads running on it? Did you build it? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152099-Milled-seekins

MW556
05-08-14, 00:14
No I did not win it. And I didn't build it. Am I not supposed to have two threads? I'm new at this.

Dead Man
05-08-14, 01:06
Am I not supposed to have two threads?

It's tacky, if nothing else.

Sounds like a decent package, but people don't pay cost-of-parts for guns, they pay what they're worth to them. Custom guns are really only special to those who build them... you don't generally get your money back out, if you try to sell. I would definitely part it out, if you don't want to take a big hit. You can probably average around 75% of the retail value of each part. Sell the lower mostly whole: I don't think anyone is going to want to buy take-off lower parts.

Leaveammoforme
05-08-14, 01:09
No I did not win it. And I didn't build it. Am I not supposed to have two threads? I'm new at this.

It just confused me. On one thread you ask value of an unfired rifle. I would assume if you bought it or built it you would know approximate value. On the other thread you're showing the rifle, which made me think you built it but didn't know value or cost associated to that.

I'm not a mod, staff or anything important on this forum so what I think carries no weight. With that said I'm not going to link the rules but I think you outta hit them up.

You have a very nice rifle. I would ball park 'value/cost' around $2k. As stated, you would probably be hard pressed to sell as complete rifle for the costs in it.

MW556
05-08-14, 01:10
I guess my question should be if I ask 1700 is that out of line? I'm not going to part it out, I don't see why that's necessary. As far as the 2 threads that's just my ignorance.

MW556
05-08-14, 01:15
I appreciate the replies. I took the ar on trade, I really just want to go another route. I know what I have in it but I may have to much in it so if I'm going to loose my tail in trading or selling it I'll just keep it and make a few changes. Just wanted some opinions.

Jmacken37
05-08-14, 01:34
A year or two ago and you'd have scored selling your rifle. The market doesn't seem to be as good for sellers of late. If you don't want to part the gun out, I'd plan on a taking a hit. Sucks but my opinion.

MW556
05-08-14, 01:38
That's true. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I shouldn't be into it to deep.

NYH1
05-08-14, 03:12
If you don't need the money and have the room just keep it. They'll go back up. It's the circle of life in the AR world. When it does, someone will pay you good money for it. Just my $0.02!

Good luck, NYH1.

richiecotite
05-08-14, 03:49
It's a frankenAR, your never going to get close to what you paid for it. Personally, I'd maybe offer you $1100 for it if I was in the market for an AR.

skywalkrNCSU
05-08-14, 07:43
I'd save it in case there is another AWB scare and then get your money back. You are going to have a hard time getting people to pay its cost value because if someone is going to drop that much on a built AR they aren't going to buy a frakenbuild since they could get a nice factory gun for that.

If you don't get any bites try parting out the upper and lower, that should be a bit easier.

rjacobs
05-08-14, 08:24
It's a frankenAR, your never going to get close to what you paid for it.

That really has nothing to do with it. I have an SPR type AR I built a few months ago. Ive got around $3k into it including the optic. Its built using all top tier parts. Guy at the range offered me MORE than what I have into it after hearing the parts list and him knowing how I build rifles. "frankenAR's" arent worth more or less because they are "frankenAR's", they are worth more or less because of the parts used.

To the OP: (your low post count not withstanding i.e. your ability to not be able to sell in the EE and this is generally how guys "work around" that):
These would be the costs to basically re-create what you have
You have about $400 in that lower as it sits +- a little since I dont know what those Seekins lowers cost
You have about $1000(probably a little less actually) in that upper
You have about $150 in cerakoat

So $1500 give or take would basically allow me to re-build that gun as it sits in your hands.

Obscenejesster
05-08-14, 09:31
I just want to know who put that rifle together?

A. The optic mount is bridging the gap between the handguard and the receiver.

B. What's the point of a VFG being installed that far back?

Airhasz
05-08-14, 10:00
That really has nothing to do with it. I have an SPR type AR I built a few months ago. Ive got around $3k into it including the optic. Its built using all top tier parts. Guy at the range offered me MORE than what I have into it after hearing the parts list and him knowing how I build rifles. "frankenAR's" arent worth more or less because they are "frankenAR's", they are worth more or less because of the parts used.

To the OP: (your low post count not withstanding i.e. your ability to not be able to sell in the EE and this is generally how guys "work around" that):
These would be the costs to basically re-create what you have
You have about $400 in that lower as it sits +- a little since I dont know what those Seekins lowers cost
You have about $1000(probably a little less actually) in that upper
You have about $150 in cerakoat

So $1500 give or take would basically allow me to re-build that gun as it sits in your hands.

Being a frankenAR has plenty to do with it. The average buyer does not know the value of the parts. They are generally not going to take time to try to identify, locate and price each part. On a factory gun the average buyer can view the sales receipt or easily find out the value.

Wake27
05-08-14, 10:08
Being a frankenAR has plenty to do with it. The average buyer does not know the value of the parts. They are generally not going to take time to try to identify, locate and price each part. On a factory gun the average buyer can view the sales receipt or easily find out the value.

Agreed. Plus you have to hope that it wasn't some idiot who put the thing together and that it actually works. Much less risk associated with buying a factory built gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airhasz
05-08-14, 10:17
One thing it does have going for it is that lower has "new gun owner" written all over it...IMHO
Getting it in a trade makes me think the previous owner probably had a tough time selling it himself.

Peshawar
05-08-14, 10:31
That's the thing about the parts gun AR. Since AR's aren't difficult to assemble as long as the components are built properly, there's really not much skill that goes into the "custom rifles" unless there's something more to the story. If it was a gun that required more skill to assemble than an end table from Ikea (broad generalization, but basically true) it might be more attractive to someone seeking a specific part or receiver used. That's not to say it's not a nice rifle, it might be great. But there's just nothing that most people here can't put together in an hour or so that makes the gun worth more than the sum of its cost in parts. Sure, you might come across somebody "at the range" who will offer you more, but likely that's because they either don't have the time, skill, or knowledge to put one together themselves. Some AR manufacturers really do have some techniques or other type of "secret sauce" that makes their products more attractive, but unless the person buying it is familiar with what was done then why would they pay extra for it?

rjacobs
05-08-14, 10:38

I still say it doesnt matter in the overall pricing scheme as long as its priced accordingly. Maybe it being a frankenAR to joe schmoes who dont know shit about AR's and think an Oly or Model 1 sales AR is the best thing on the market, but most guys who know a little about AR's, it dont matter at all. Only thing I CONSTANTLY(including this thread) see with "frankenAR's" is that people VASTLY over estimate the guns worth. Like you say with a factory gun, its easy to see what it sold for new, if it has any accessories, what the round count is, etc... and you can come up with a ball park. When a guy builds an AR he thinks his build is the best thing ever and then acts accordingly on the price. This generally means the person who built it over prices the shit out of it(like the above example thinking this gun is worth $2k as it sits).

If I see a gun that somebody is selling and they list all the parts it has, I can generally come up with a ball park figure. It doesnt scare me to buy a "frankenAR" since I have built plenty of them. But if a guy said "well I dont know what barrel, what BCG, what LPK, what this what that, etc..." or tells me he "got it all form Model 1 sales" and then wants $2k, im going to laugh at him. Give me a parts list and a round count and ill give you a price.

The OP gave a parts list, its overall good parts. I could do without that hand guard as I am not a fan of them and the less than stellar optic, but besides that I dont think its a bad gun and would give an appropriate price for it. 2k gun it aint. I would give him maybe 1200 for it and be comfortable at that price.

I have seen factory guns over priced as hell too, doesnt mean they are worth it either. I dont pay inflated prices for AR's, especially not right now.

Back to the OP: if you took this on trade for something worth more than 1200, I would hang on to the gun until the market gets better(and you know it will sooner or later).

03scgt
05-08-14, 11:20
AR market is super soft right now and youll take a hit no matter what. Franken guns dont scare me assuming all of the parts are quality and for the most part what I would pick if I were building.The hard part is pricing one high enough to get most of your money back and not being in the same price range as the upper end manufacturers complete rifles

realistically id keep it because I really only see 11-1150 coming out of it

Leaveammoforme
05-08-14, 12:07
I still say it doesnt matter in the overall pricing scheme as long as its priced accordingly. Maybe it being a frankenAR to joe schmoes who dont know shit about AR's and think an Oly or Model 1 sales AR is the best thing on the market, but most guys who know a little about AR's, it dont matter at all. Only thing I CONSTANTLY(including this thread) see with "frankenAR's" is that people VASTLY over estimate the guns worth. Like you say with a factory gun, its easy to see what it sold for new, if it has any accessories, what the round count is, etc... and you can come up with a ball park. When a guy builds an AR he thinks his build is the best thing ever and then acts accordingly on the price. This generally means the person who built it over prices the shit out of it(like the above example thinking this gun is worth $2k as it sits).

If I see a gun that somebody is selling and they list all the parts it has, I can generally come up with a ball park figure. It doesnt scare me to buy a "frankenAR" since I have built plenty of them. But if a guy said "well I dont know what barrel, what BCG, what LPK, what this what that, etc..." or tells me he "got it all form Model 1 sales" and then wants $2k, im going to laugh at him. Give me a parts list and a round count and ill give you a price.

The OP gave a parts list, its overall good parts. I could do without that hand guard as I am not a fan of them and the less than stellar optic, but besides that I dont think its a bad gun and would give an appropriate price for it. 2k gun it aint. I would give him maybe 1200 for it and be comfortable at that price.

I have seen factory guns over priced as hell too, doesnt mean they are worth it either. I dont pay inflated prices for AR's, especially not right now.

Back to the OP: if you took this on trade for something worth more than 1200, I would hang on to the gun until the market gets better(and you know it will sooner or later).

You don't see $2K cost in that rifle? I never said that is what it could be sold for.

JusticeM4
05-08-14, 21:15
OP, I would remove a few things like the optic, flashlight, etc and sell those separately. Its a nice rifle but right now the AR market is way too saturated so expect to take a loss. I'd speculate you can get at most $1400-1500 for yours. Although its very nice, consider that you can get a similarly configured DD or BCM for around $1500 with factory warranty and being factory built.

So remove some of the accesories and try posting it between $1300-1500 depending on the config. Good luck.

I just want to know who put that rifle together?

A. The optic mount is bridging the gap between the handguard and the receiver.

To have the optic as far forward as possible while still being on the upper receiver. It also aids in keeping the handguard from moving due to recoil. You will notice many people do this with their optic/RDS.

B. What's the point of a VFG being installed that far back?

Most likely personal preference, or in some cases in Military/LE for a closer grip (just google any soldier/LE with a VG and you'll see).

rjacobs
05-09-14, 22:45
You don't see $2K cost in that rifle?

Nope, I already laid out what I see in that rifle and thats about $1500 to re-create it.

$400 in the lower or there abouts(I dont know how much those Seekins lowers are). I could build that lower with a forged lower for probably $300-350.
$700 or so in the upper or there abouts(300 barrel, 80 receiver, 200 handguard, 150 BCG)
$300-400 in cerakote and other accessories

There is the $1500 I see to build a copy of that gun.

Leaveammoforme
05-09-14, 22:52
Nope, I already laid out what I see in that rifle and thats about $1500 to re-create it..........
There is the $1500 I see to build a copy of that gun.

I searched every part & added it up after this discussion. I'm not gonna type it all out but it came to $1800. I of course was not shopping for the cheapest cost ,just first cost I saw. My hiccup was the optic and light that I mentally allowed too much money for. I was high on my $2k cost estimate.

I will agree that with shopping around/searching/haggling one could possibly build that rifle for around $1500 if assembled by themselves.

Obscenejesster
05-09-14, 23:00
The other thing to is a lot of us find joy in buying each part and building the rifle ourselves. For me personally it is very relaxing.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Maddmax
05-10-14, 08:04
The other thing to is a lot of us find joy in buying each part and building the rifle ourselves. For me personally it is very relaxing.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

I build because then I know all the actual parts and there were no short cuts in assemble or surprises down the road. A weapon is only worth what some one else what's to pay for it and how bad they actually want it or need it.

Iraqgunz
05-10-14, 16:25
Let's leave this alone. The OP has asked and been given advice. It's obviously not that important since he hasn't returned.

Ryno12
05-10-14, 16:42
Let's leave this alone. The OP has asked and been given advice. It's obviously not that important since he hasn't returned.

Whenever I see "how much is this worth?" threads, more often than not they seem to be individuals with less than 30 posts. I think it's a back door way to side step the EE rules & say "hey, I've got this for sale".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock30
05-10-14, 18:30
Nice rifle! Good luck on the sale !! :)

Bpc9876
05-10-14, 22:33
I agree with IraqGunz which I find myself doing mentally quite often lol. Regardless, it is a nice rifle but I wouldn't personally purchase it. OP should have done plenty of research if he took it in on a "trade." Unless, myself or someone I am confident that they know how to build, (the vast majority of this great site) I want a factory gun.

MW556
05-10-14, 23:20
Hi all, thanks for your opinions and sorry for late response, I'm aware of the quality of the build, I merely wanted opinions on what it's worth so I don't look like a idiot trying to trade or sell it. It's the first seekins/ Franken gun I've owned and first billet lower. I've done plenty of research, I wouldn't trade for something if I wasn't sure. It just seems everyone around me is not familiar with seekins so it's a little harder to move. Thanks again for the replies.