PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between AD-Scout vs. Ad-Recon

Obscenejesster
05-09-14, 07:30
I was the guy who had a hard time deciding between a 1x6 or 2.5x10 and finally decided on a 1x6 thanks to some of you guy's on here.

Now I'm in another predicament. The AD-Scout or the AD-Recon.

So far, I am leaning towards the scout due to the lighter weight. I have a SWFA SS 1x6 which is a little on the heavier side so I'm trying to shave as much weight of the mount as possible. What are the advantages of the Recon with it's two lever design? Do the two levers help the mount hold zero?

What do you guy's think. Is the Scout adequate enough for the SWFA or should I go for the more robust Recon?

SomeOtherGuy
05-09-14, 09:34
Oddly enough, I have a SS 1-6x which is currently in a Scout-S, chosen for the weight savings. I also have a Weaver 1-5x in a standard Scout. Neither has given me any trouble, but I haven't torture tested them either.

I've never read or heard of an ADM clamp failing to hold. Bobro uses a single clamp on their 30mm mounts and gets excellent reviews, and their clamp looks a lot flimsier than the ADM clamp. My 2 cents, and what I am doing, is that the single lever Scout version is plenty adequate for light to medium weight scopes (say, under 25oz or so) on anything that doesn't kick ridiculously (any 5.56 or .308, probably not a 6lb 12ga shotgun or a 7lb .300 Weatherby).

jpeezy
05-09-14, 13:21
I have an ad recon which mounts a vortex pst 1-4. I've put it through some hard training days at the range and it's a tank.

Obscenejesster
05-10-14, 18:22
Ended up getting the Recon because that's what a local Brick and Mortar had. If they had the Scout I would have gotten it to save a couple dollars and a couple ounces. The Recon seems robust though.

ALCOAR
05-10-14, 20:18
Owned numerous Recon X models over the years, as well as one Scout X.....the Scout X maintained the same high level of RTZ ability as the 2 clamp Recon models, and overall it's a very robust mount.

My overall thought is that if you have an optic under 12", or less than a LB or so.....the single clamp model is as robust as one really needs. I.E. 1-4x type optics go great w/ a Scout mount. The Recon models give an end user more peace of mine when running longer, or significantly heavy optics like a NXS F-1, or other 3-15x type optics.

If I owned a SCAR H....I definitely be getting the Recon model fwiw, as the two clamps will be very advantageous when resisting that particular rifle's recoil impulse. ARs are pretty gentle on optics..esp ones in .223/5.56.

http://i30.tinypic.com/sdz6o6.jpg

Obscenejesster
05-10-14, 20:55
On a side note which I thought was pretty funny.

When I went into the shop, I just wanted to reaffirm my choice and asked the guy what he thought about a LaRue mount. He said......"I have plenty of them and I'd be happy to sell you one for a higher price than this Recon but here is two of my personal rifles and you see what mounts I'm using" :)

One of his personal rifles was even a LaRue rifle. I wonder how Mr. LaRue would feel about someone using a ADM on a rifle of his. I would imagine his face would look something like this.....:blink:

BrigandTwoFour
05-10-14, 21:47
Owned numerous Recon X models over the years, as well as one Scout X.....the Scout X maintained the same high level of RTZ ability as the 2 clamp Recon models, and overall it's a very robust mount.

My overall thought is that if you have an optic under 12", or less than a LB or so.....the single clamp model is as robust as one really needs. I.E. 1-4x type optics go great w/ a Scout mount. The Recon models give an end user more peace of mine when running longer, or significantly heavy optics like a NXS F-1, or other 3-15x type optics.

If I owned a SCAR H....I definitely be getting the Recon model fwiw, as the two clamps will be very advantageous when resisting that particular rifle's recoil impulse. ARs are pretty gentle on optics..esp ones in .223/5.56.

http://i30.tinypic.com/sdz6o6.jpg

This is pretty much spot on, and mirrors my experience.

bighawk
05-12-14, 17:29
I've never owned the Scout but I had a Recon X with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 and it was a SOLID mount that I could definitely recommend.