PDA

View Full Version : New Sionics barrels

bruin
05-09-14, 13:17
18" SPR barrels that have a bead blasted look as opposed to the shiny. 16" midlength Melonite barrels, 11.5" Melonite barrels, as well as the standard chrome lined, etc.. We will also be looking at revising some of the profiles and possibly a lightweight barrel.IG,

Any updates on these? I read on JTT that the 11.5" are coming out next week. I look forward to a 16" lightweight melonited and the 18.5" stainless.

Iraqgunz
05-09-14, 19:14
Barrels are in final process of finishing, laser engraving, etc.... Some of the barrels will be made available soon. We are just checking the numbers and making sure we have what is needed for the police dept. orders.

ALCOAR
05-09-14, 19:39
Hopefully you guys decide to keep the 16" CL mid length that I've been testing for a few months now.

I hope to perform some 750yd testing with it in the near future, and conclude my overall thoughts and evaluation of it. After 1k of shooting with 10+ types of different ammo, it's been flawless and held everything within a 3MOA/10rd/100yd group standard. Zero malfunctions during the testings thus far as well.

I put that barrel model in the exact same category with the new ALG EMR rail.....incredible bang for the buck. I'm not sure there is a better serious/hard use barrel or rail for the dollar than the SIONICS 16" CL, or the EMR rail.

Iraqgunz
05-09-14, 20:03
Alex,

Absolutely we are keeping it. We just tried to diversify the product line and give people some other options. I will have a chance to shoot the 11.5" next week at the Scottsdale Gun Club anniversary sale.

Hopefully you guys decide to keep the 16" CL mid length that I've been testing for a few months now.

I hope to perform some 750yd testing with it in the near future, and conclude my overall thoughts and evaluation of it. After 1k of shooting with 10+ types of different ammo, it's been flawless and held everything within a 3MOA/10rd/100yd group standard. Zero malfunctions during the testings thus far as well.

I put that barrel model in the exact same category with the new ALG EMR rail.....incredible bang for the buck. I'm not sure there is a better serious/hard use barrel or rail for the dollar than the SIONICS 16" CL, or the EMR rail.

BrigandTwoFour
05-09-14, 20:07
I just saw a post on JTT today about the 11.5" barrels. It mentioned a choice between chrome or melonite, that's pretty awesome. I'd love to get my hands on a nice 12.5" melonited barrel some day when I get back to a free state- but I suppose I could settle for 11.5"

ALCOAR
05-09-14, 20:17
That's excellent news for the AR community. Hopefully in time people will realize the copious amount of bang for your buck in both the SIONICS barrels (given they hold the general same price point), and the EMR which will only be getting cheaper w/ the new M-Lok design.

The SIONICS 16" CL mid length med. contoured barrel thus far is every bit as accurate, reliable, and well crafted as my LMT/Mike Rock 16" CL mid length med. contoured barrel in terms of an apple to apple comparison. The SIONICS barrel is over $100 cheaper.

Grand58742
05-09-14, 23:27
Are there any plans to do a LW barrel in midlength?

Iraqgunz
05-10-14, 01:41
I think some T&E barrels may be available. I will have some more info next week as I will be starting the builds on the Axelson Tactical Commemorative SPR's and other stuff.

Are there any plans to do a LW barrel in midlength?

Grand58742
05-10-14, 01:46
I think some T&E barrels may be available. I will have some more info next week as I will be starting the builds on the Axelson Tactical Commemorative SPR's and other stuff.

I appreciate you keeping us informed about this and I'll keep an eye on the Sionics site.

bruin
05-14-14, 11:01
I forgot to revisit this thread and say thank you IG for the update. Also thank you TRIDENT82 for your test of the 16" CL mid; that put Sionics barrels on my radar in the first place for my next build. I still might hold out for a BCM ELW BHF, though I'd like to see what Sionics has cooking and how much I can save with them.

rdmega
05-14-14, 11:41
For what it's worth to everyone, I purchased a Sionics barrel for a build using a MUR, chainsaw Noveske FFL and an NSR. I have run 400 rounds through it to date of various ammo and I am impressed. I will do a full review and write up soon. I will purchase an 11.5" when they become available for my SBR. Great value!

Iraqgunz
05-16-14, 06:38
I was able to shoot the midlength 16" LW Melonite barrel and I was pretty damn happy to say the least. We only had a 25 yard range to use on the fly, but it was very good to say the least. Combined with the Midwest 15" Key Mod rail it was a very light and balanced 6 lb. approximate carbine.

markm
05-16-14, 08:43
I was able to shoot the midlength 16" LW Melonite barrel and I was pretty damn happy to say the least.

You need to bring stuff like that out and let us run full house work ups on it. Hand loads, chrono data, everthing.

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 02:23
New barrels and uppers are here.

16" 1/8 LW Melonite midlength barrels.

11.5" 1/7 chrome-lined barrels (stripped and FSB) and Melonite barrels.

11.5" Geissele MK3 Upper Receiver Group with choice of barrel (chrome-lined or Melonite).

SpankMonkey
05-21-14, 03:09
New barrels and uppers are here.

16" 1/8 LW Melonite midlength barrels.

11.5" 1/7 chrome-lined barrels (stripped and FSB) and Melonite barrels.

11.5" Geissele MK3 Upper Receiver Group with choice of barrel (chrome-lined or Melonite).

IG why the Melonite on the LW barrels instead of chrome?

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 03:13
We wanted to offer something different. Initial testing is showing it to shoot good.

IG why the Melonite on the LW barrels instead of chrome?

SpankMonkey
05-21-14, 03:46
We wanted to offer something different. Initial testing is showing it to shoot good.

I could use another lite weight. The website says it has a .750 gas journal. The pic looks like a .625, is the website correct? I'm talking about the 16" melonited pencil to be clear.

Edit: Disregard the website is wrong. Also says it is chrome lined.

Thx for the heads up. Will order one.

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 03:55
The web guy wasn't paying attention and we are getting with him in the AM to make the corrections. They are correct .625 with Melonite.

I could use another lite weight. The website says it has a .750 gas journal. The pic looks like a .625, is the website correct? I'm talking about the 16" melonited pencil to be clear.

Edit: Disregard the website is wrong. Also says it is chrome lined.

Thx for the heads up. Will order one.

GH41
05-21-14, 06:23
The web guy wasn't paying attention and we are getting with him in the AM to make the corrections. They are correct .625 with Melonite.

Is the weight posted on the site correct? 29oz sounds heavy for a .625 pencil. GH

bruin
05-21-14, 13:26
Corrected specs are online for the 16" LW:

11595E CMV 4150 Steel
M4 Barrel Extension
5.56mm NATO Chamber
1/8 Twist Rate
.625 Gas Block
Light Weight Contour
Melonite Finish
Standard 1/2X28 Muzzle Threading
Mid-Length Gas System
X-Rayed and MP Inspected
Barrel Weight - 1 lb. 6 oz.

This barrel might be lighter than BCM's 16" ELW (1 lb, 6.74 oz) and closer to the fluted ELW (1 lb, 6.21 oz). BCM's 16" Standard LW Middy is about 1 lb, 8 oz.

I think this is the best value in quality 16" barrels today. For example, the BCM ELW is almost $50 more and isn't melonited (but has a theoretically superior profile). The ARP 16" LW is $20 more and weighs 3 oz more, though it has a Wylde chamber. I tried a Brownells 16" LW melonited barrel but the gas port was so huge, I returned it.

I might have missed it - are all Sionics barrels dimpled for gas block set screws?

Interesting sidenote - I found the 18.5" SS online; I wish Sionics would list the specs and sell them directly.
http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/sionics-ss18-barrel.html

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 13:55
18" barrels will be available soon. We anticipate the new barrels in approx. 3-4 weeks. They will be available for direct purchase as well as upper receiver/rifle builds.

Corrected specs are online for the 16" LW:

This barrel might be lighter than BCM's 16" ELW (1 lb, 6.74 oz) and closer to the fluted ELW (1 lb, 6.21 oz). BCM's 16" Standard LW Middy is about 1 lb, 8 oz.

I think this is the best value in quality 16" barrels today. For example, the BCM ELW is almost $50 more and isn't melonited (but has a theoretically superior profile). The ARP 16" LW is $20 more and weighs 3 oz more, though it has a Wylde chamber. I tried a Brownells 16" LW melonited barrel but the gas port was so huge, I returned it.

I might have missed it - are all Sionics barrels dimpled for gas block set screws?

Interesting sidenote - I found the 18.5" SS online; I wish Sionics would list the specs and sell them directly.
http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/sionics-ss18-barrel.html

bruin
05-21-14, 17:09
IG,

You said in the past that the gas port was .080" on the standard 16" mid, but the LW version is .076" according to Sionics' facebook posts. Any comment on the change? Will all 16" barrels be .076" from now on?

I know both are within the "good" range for a 16" mid; I'm just curious if there's a reason for the switch.

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 17:33
All of the middy barrels will be .076. We brought it down a little to make it smoother. Some of this was based upon feedback from people who are shooting them.

IG,

You said in the past that the gas port was .080" on the standard 16" mid, but the LW version is .076" according to Sionics' facebook posts. Any comment on the change? Will all 16" barrels be .076" from now on?

I know both are within the "good" range for a 16" mid; I'm just curious if there's a reason for the switch.

Col_Crocs
05-21-14, 17:47
Any plans of doing an 11.5 CL and QPQ LW?

Iraqgunz
05-21-14, 17:49
Not sure about the lightweight. It's something we'll look at.

Any plans of doing an 11.5 CL and QPQ LW?

SpankMonkey
05-21-14, 18:09
All of the middy barrels will be .076. We brought it down a little to make it smoother. Some of this was based upon feedback from people who are shooting them.

YES! :D

Arkansas Bob
05-21-14, 18:26
My16 inch middy barrel came in yesterday. It looks great. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/nuvabanu.jpg

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ytude2ym.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/duzadave.jpg

Col_Crocs
05-21-14, 19:59
IG, are you guys nitriding the barrel extension too? If you are, I have a few questions purely out of curiosity... I have no basis for any of these other than my own over-thinking and stuff I have read here.
- How does an effectively nitrided extension interact with the bolt over and extended period of time?
- I remember seeing a photo of a nitrided extension that was pulled and it exhibited unusual wear, possibly due to the nitriding process negating the surface hardness of whatever heat treat is originally done. Is there something you do differently to avoid this, if infact it is an issue?
- In relation to the above point, what about the reports of extensions becoming brittle due to nitriding?

AR Newby AZ
05-21-14, 23:23
Would you be able to include a FSB to these like you do on your chrome lined barrels?

Iraqgunz
05-22-14, 00:04
At this time we are not going to offer that.

Would you be able to include a FSB to these like you do on your chrome lined barrels?

Iraqgunz
05-22-14, 00:08
Our barrel extension is phosphate. We discussed this with some engineers and barrel people and it was decided that the this was the best course of action.

IG, are you guys nitriding the barrel extension too? If you are, I have a few questions purely out of curiosity... I have no basis for any of these other than my own over-thinking and stuff I have read here.
- How does an effectively nitrided extension interact with the bolt over and extended period of time?
- I remember seeing a photo of a nitrided extension that was pulled and it exhibited unusual wear, possibly due to the nitriding process negating the surface hardness of whatever heat treat is originally done. Is there something you do differently to avoid this, if infact it is an issue?
- In relation to the above point, what about the reports of extensions becoming brittle due to nitriding?

Col_Crocs
05-22-14, 01:10
That's perfect IMHO. Thanks!

ScatmanCrothers
05-22-14, 18:09

Good to hear. What size port on the 11.5"?

djegators
05-22-14, 19:41
Very exciting to see the product line expanded. Used a SWS middy on a recent build, and quite happy.

Iraqgunz
05-23-14, 03:49
.076 +/- .001

Good to hear. What size port on the 11.5"?

eternal24k
05-23-14, 13:48
Any plans to offer melonited barrels with fixed FSB?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

djegators
05-23-14, 13:52

At this time we are not going to offer that.

Any plans to offer melonited barrels with fixed FSB?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

djegators
05-23-14, 13:53
Checked the scope today on the wife's AR built on a SWS middy barrel.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10306394_490614081071466_8771602696791391486_n.jpg

Iraqgunz
05-23-14, 17:12
Can you give us some details here?

Checked the scope today on the wife's AR built on a SWS middy barrel.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10306394_490614081071466_8771602696791391486_n.jpg

djegators
05-23-14, 20:33
Can you give us some details here?

Sure...8 shots at 50 yards, target is 5", sitting at a bench. Federal AE223H. Optics: Nikon M223 1-4x.

Here is the write-up of this build: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?150000-Pink-Lady

Biggy
05-26-14, 17:51
Are there any plans to do a melonited 14.5" LW mid-length gas barrel ?

BufordTJustice
05-26-14, 18:30
Any plans for a lightweight 18" with rifle gas, .625 gas block journal, 1/8, nitrided?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
05-26-14, 19:40
Not at this time.

Are there any plans to do a melonited 14.5" LW mid-length gas barrel ?

Iraqgunz
05-26-14, 19:43
It's something to explore and we have briefly talked about a lightweight stainless barrel. Right now with the market the way it is, it's hard to say.

Any plans for a lightweight 18" with rifle gas, .625 gas block journal, 1/8, nitrided?

BufordTJustice
05-26-14, 20:17
It's something to explore and we have briefly talked about a lightweight stainless barrel. Right now with the market the way it is, it's hard to say.

I totally understand.

My reasoning: I have experienced the sweet shooting goodness of my Rainier Arms 18" mountain series barrel with rifle length gas system and I'm addicted. However, despite it being a government profile, it could go on a diet. And the chrome lining doesn't aid accuracy either.

Know1
05-27-14, 15:28
I'd be interested in a lightweight 14.5" barrel with carbine gas length and fixed FSB. It's old-school, I know, what with the "14.5 middy" with pinned "lo-pro" being all in fashion, but I think it makes a great lightweight carbine with no questions about reliability with any ammo. Supposedly, Grant is going to have some 14.5" Colt 6720 uppers available soon, but if you beat him to the punch, I could be swayed.

I love your 16" mid-weight barrel. It's about time someone came out with a good quality barrel with a logical barrel profile (vs the ridiculous backasswards gubmint profile).

Iraqgunz
05-27-14, 16:28
We don't have plans to do carbine length barrels other than the SBR's.

I'd be interested in a lightweight 14.5" barrel with carbine gas length and fixed FSB. It's old-school, I know, what with the "14.5 middy" with pinned "lo-pro" being all in fashion, but I think it makes a great lightweight carbine with no questions about reliability with any ammo. Supposedly, Grant is going to have some 14.5" Colt 6720 uppers available soon, but if you beat him to the punch, I could be swayed.

I love your 16" mid-weight barrel. It's about time someone came out with a good quality barrel with a logical barrel profile (vs the ridiculous backasswards gubmint profile).

Know1
05-28-14, 07:46
I understand, you have to go with the market. Just wishful thinking on my part.

BrigandTwoFour
05-29-14, 13:02

Other than the marketing hype behind stainless, is there really any benefit? My understanding was that stainless barrels have metallurgical issues in various temperature ranges once you remove too much material. With modern surface treatments like what you guys are doing, can't a standard high quality CMV barrel be just as accurate?

TAZ
05-29-14, 14:05
Other than the marketing hype behind stainless, is there really any benefit? My understanding was that stainless barrels have metallurgical issues in various temperature ranges once you remove too much material. With modern surface treatments like what you guys are doing, can't a standard high quality CMV barrel be just as accurate?

FN definitely proved that a chrome liked barrel can keep up with SST on their bolt guns. I think the issue with plated barrels is the added step to get just right. SST you machine and lap. CMV you machine, lap and then plate. Plating can be tricky so the yield off of all that precision upfront work may not be worth it yet. Thankfully we have made some serious improvement in plating technology and understanding over the years so our wish may be closer than we think.

On a different note, got my 16" Mid LW barrel in yesterday. Very nice looking barrel. Great fit and finish on the thing. It was a tight fit into my BCM upper. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Hope you guys manage to keep costs in line as at these prices you'll make a bundle as word gets around. Coming from slinging a MK12-Mod1 clone around, this thing is like a feather. Can't wait to finish the build and go blasting.

bnanaphone
05-30-14, 12:09
I like the looks of their 11.5" barrel. The profile appears to be similar to the Noveske N4 profile, which I like. Can somebody tell me what the barrel OD is before the gas block?

Iraqgunz
05-30-14, 19:34
Are you trying to find out gas block info or are you just curious about the diameter? I can measure one Monday or Tuesday.

I like the looks of their 11.5" barrel. The profile appears to be similar to the Noveske N4 profile, which I like. Can somebody tell me what the barrel OD is before the gas block?

Pappabear
05-30-14, 19:53
We don't have plans to do carbine length barrels other than the SBR's.

That makes a lot of sense.

The lightweight craze is off and running. Any length , very light barrel would probably do well.

bnanaphone
05-31-14, 07:33
I am curious about the diameter in the section in front of the gas block that would be covered by a rail or handguards. No need for gas block info. Thanks.

Are you trying to find out gas block info or are you just curious about the diameter? I can measure one Monday or Tuesday.

rokkman
05-31-14, 13:20
I see you guys still have a hardline on 14.5 barrels. I can't imagine 11.5 would sell as many as 14.5 would. I'm going to have to pick up one of your 16 inch lightweights. It may replace my spikes CHF. I shoot 55gr cheapo ammo most of the time and my 1/7 isn't exactly shooting the bird's eye out. I hope this starts a trend in the 1/8 chrome lined barrels.

Iraqgunz
05-31-14, 15:42
Lots of people are building AR pistols and SBR's. There are lots of others doing 14.5" barrels. Not saying it won't happen but we are focusing on some of the other stuff. We recently just had a few agencies decide on using our lightweight barrels for patrol rifles. The demand we have seen for 14.5" isn't that great (although it certainly may be for others).

Our lightweights are not chrome lined. They are Melonite only. Just wanted to be sure that was known.

I see you guys still have a hardline on 14.5 barrels. I can't imagine 11.5 would sell as many as 14.5 would. I'm going to have to pick up one of your 16 inch lightweights. It may replace my spikes CHF. I shoot 55gr cheapo ammo most of the time and my 1/7 isn't exactly shooting the bird's eye out. I hope this starts a trend in the 1/8 chrome lined barrels.

rokkman
05-31-14, 16:08
Lots of people are building AR pistols and SBR's. There are lots of others doing 14.5" barrels. Not saying it won't happen but we are focusing on some of the other stuff. We recently just had a few agencies decide on using our lightweight barrels for patrol rifles. The demand we have seen for 14.5" isn't that great (although it certainly may be for others).

Our lightweights are not chrome lined. They are Melonite only. Just wanted to be sure that was known.

The melonite is even better to me. I'm a 16 inch man myself but all I see nowadays are 14.5 pinned.

ScatmanCrothers
05-31-14, 16:21

Are you under the impression that a 1/8 is going to give you better accuracy than a 1/7 of similar manufacture with 55gr crap ammo or any 55gr rounds for that matter?

Iraqgunz
05-31-14, 17:11
It's no secret I do not like 14.5 pinned and in my area I don't see them in the majority. Any change to the barrel (FSB, gas block, rail change, etc..) will be very difficult and costly with the muzzle device being pinned. When you see the real difference the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

The melonite is even better to me. I'm a 16 inch man myself but all I see nowadays are 14.5 pinned.

opngrnd
06-13-14, 10:42

Trident-Are you referring to the mid-length mid-weight barrels? I'm debating going with an unfired Colt 6920 my buddy will sell me for $900 or taking the same money and doing a BCM upper/ ALG EMR/Sionics mid-length mid-weight barrel upper to throw on a receiver I already have. By the time I set up the latter option, it'll be with a few dollars of the Colt 6920. Is free floating the sionics barrel a decent improvement in any area over the 6920 barrel?

I'm also considering the same upper build but with a 16" SS410 barrel. Is the Sioinics barrel close to the accuracy potential of the SS410 barrel, or is that the wrong application for the Sionics barrel.

Lastly, how do the melonite versions compare to the chrome lined ones, and which one would you recommend? Sorry to assault you with questions, but it isn't often I get to take on a project like this, and I'd like to do it right.

SeriousStudent
06-13-14, 21:20
I was talking with IG the other night, and I'm going to do an SPR build with one of those 18" barrels. It definitely should be a fun project, I'm planning to take it to a Defoor precision rifle class this fall.

Please keep up the reports on these, it's very interesting.

opngrnd
06-13-14, 21:54
I'm looking forward to hearing how it does. Are you planning on using the melonite or the chrome lined version?

ALCOAR
06-13-14, 22:03
Trident-Are you referring to the mid-length mid-weight barrels? I'm debating going with an unfired Colt 6920 my buddy will sell me for $900 or taking the same money and doing a BCM upper/ ALG EMR/Sionics mid-length mid-weight barrel upper to throw on a receiver I already have. By the time I set up the latter option, it'll be with a few dollars of the Colt 6920. Is free floating the sionics barrel a decent improvement in any area over the 6920 barrel?

That's correct, the one I have is the 16" mid length, medium contoured barrel. In terms of FFing a barrel, I'm a big believer in it, and personally speaking every upper I own features a free floated barrel. I'm a bit of an accuracy nut, or one that appreciates .25-.50 MOA gains in accuracy, but not all shooters will notice, or fully appreciate the smaller gains in accuracy/precision when FFing a barrel. If you plan to shoot this future rifle in more precision orientated applications, than a FF configuration would be a must in my book. You can really notice the difference when shooting in a position supported by the rail.

I'm also considering the same upper build but with a 16" SS410 barrel. Is the Sioinics barrel close to the accuracy potential of the SS410 barrel, or is that the wrong application for the Sionics barrel.

Can't really say since I don't have the SS410 barrel in question to properly evaluate, however it's my opinion that a high end 16" SS barrel definitely has a niche purpose, but only when the end user is demanding the up most ability in the precision/accuracy departments.....anything short of a true blue light precision build, a very accurate CL 16" barrel will serve up more than enough accuracy/precsion required for meeting general purpose applications. Save the Uber accurate SS barrels for a true Recce, or SPR configuration imho.

Lastly, how do the melonite versions compare to the chrome lined ones, and which one would you recommend? Sorry to assault you with questions, but it isn't often I get to take on a project like this, and I'd like to do it right.

Again, I can't really help here since I don't have both models to side by side evaluate, and then make any kind of scientific or worthwhile conclusion. Sorry I can't help more in these areas.

Ultimately, the right optic and trigger go as much into making an AR accurate as it's barrel in my book. The SIONICS 16" mid length med. contoured model when matched with the right optic, and trigger has the accuracy/precision capabilities that will meet the needs for the vast majority of end users, or applications their rifles will be used in imho.

Hope that helps a little brother.

Malig8r
06-13-14, 22:20
I keep checking the website for the 18 inch barrels. I have a couple upper/lower sets that need to be finished up. Any plans for a 1/8 melonite med contour rifle gas system? My intent is to pick up one of the 11.5s and the aforementioned 18 if it comes to fruition.

djegators
06-13-14, 22:38
What are the top selling SWS barrels?

opngrnd
06-13-14, 22:51
Ultimately, the right optic and trigger go as much into making an AR accurate as it's barrel in my book. The SIONICS 16" mid length med. contoured model when matched with the right optic, and trigger has the accuracy/precision capabilities that will meet the needs for the vast majority of end users, or applications their rifles will be used in imho.

Hope that helps a little brother.

Thank you for your help, it's honestly much appreciated. This sounds like a perfect match to what I'm looking hoping to do next.

SeriousStudent
06-13-14, 23:28
I'm looking forward to hearing how it does. Are you planning on using the melonite or the chrome lined version?

We were talking about using one of the melonited ones.

PAWs 21
06-19-14, 09:37
I have a question about the 16" midlength medium contour with the Giessele gas block. Is it a chrome lined or melonited barrel? If I missed it or it's already been addressed, I apologize. Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
06-20-14, 00:52
It's been updated. All chrome lined are gone. The new option is a Melonite w/Geissele block.

I have a question about the 16" midlength medium contour with the Giessele gas block. Is it a chrome lined or melonited barrel? If I missed it or it's already been addressed, I apologize. Thanks in advance.

PAWs 21
06-20-14, 11:44
It's been updated. All chrome lined are gone. The new option is a Melonite w/Geissele block.

Perfect, that's what I was hoping for, thanks.

C-grunt
06-20-14, 19:01
I recently got a 11.5 inch Sionics barreled upper built by IG. As soon as I can get it out to that range Ill see what I can do with a carry handle and report back. The barrel is the mid profile and Im liking it a lot.

opngrnd
06-24-14, 17:12

While I know diddly about building ARs, I'm kind of surprised by this. Any clue as to why they went with the melonited version over the chromed lined one? (I have a brand new ALG rail and BCM BCG sitting in the safe with a BCM upper receiver being ordered this week. The 16" Sionics barrel is the last part I need, other than assembly.)

Iraqgunz
06-24-14, 18:07
I should have clarified. I meant out of stock. We will still be using chrome lined barrels, but currently all chrome lined barrels are used up.

While I know diddly about building ARs, I'm kind of surprised by this. Any clue as to why they went with the melonited version over the chromed lined one? (I have a brand new ALG rail and BCM BCG sitting in the safe with a BCM upper receiver being ordered this week. The 16" Sionics barrel is the last part I need, other than assembly.)

Iraqgunz
08-07-14, 03:12
Some more testing that was done today with some M193, RUAG 55gr. FMJ and Hornady Steel TAP 55gr. Match. This was with our 16" LW mid length Melonite.

First group was 25yds. to check the optic. Then we shoot a few more and moved it out to 100 yards verified with a laser range finder.

opngrnd
08-07-14, 07:10
This is seriously awesome. Could you tell us what barrel length?

bruin
06-20-15, 01:15
Apologies for the necropost...

IG, will Sionics make another batch of 11.5" melonited barrels?

Iraqgunz
06-20-15, 03:15
I think there are some at the shop. I have to check. We are busy with a lot of side projects and some new stuff.

Apologies for the necropost...

IG, will Sionics make another batch of 11.5" melonited barrels?

Plumber576
06-20-15, 04:35
I don't know why I haven't heard of these barrels before!

I've been looking for a quality lightweight mid-length barrel. One question: The chrome lined barrels I see are all medium contour and the LW I see is melonite. Is there or will there be a LW chrome lined?

Thanks!

Iraqgunz
06-20-15, 05:00
We have done various runs of different combinations, I will need to see what is on hand.

I don't know why I haven't heard of these barrels before!

I've been looking for a quality lightweight mid-length barrel. One question: The chrome lined barrels I see are all medium contour and the LW I see is melonite. Is there or will there be a LW chrome lined?

Thanks!

jpmuscle
06-20-15, 05:57
Now if only the barrel and bcg prices would stop ticking up... /sad

opngrnd
06-20-15, 09:35
Now if only the barrel and bcg prices would stop ticking up... /sad

I'm happy I was able to buy when I did, some of those prices were literally too good to last forever.

jpmuscle
06-20-15, 16:43
I'm hoping for another Christmas time sale. I'm still kicking myself for not buying 10 A5 lowers last year when they were 279$

opngrnd
06-20-15, 19:43
I'm right there with you. I looked online last night and saw you can't even get them again until fall. I'll be waiting patiently for them to show up again. I'd like to build a 20" M16A4ish thing with their lower and A5.

Iraqgunz
06-20-15, 22:42
4th of July is coming and is usually a good time for a sale. ;)

Hank6046
06-20-15, 23:56
4th of July is coming and is usually a good time for a sale. ;)

Damn you and your sales, you make me feel like my wife at Macy's... It's on sale, so there fore I must have. Once I get my stamp that 11.5 is mine.

jpmuscle
06-21-15, 11:24
I'm right there with you. I looked online last night and saw you can't even get them again until fall. I'll be waiting patiently for them to show up again. I'd like to build a 20" M16A4ish thing with their lower and A5.
Lame....

ColtSeavers
06-23-15, 16:32
I noticed the 16" mid length melonited barrels are no longer available. Is this a user error issue, supply/out of stock issue or are they just no longer offered? Not trying to start a debate as to why, just looking for a simple answer if at all possible.

thebarracuda
08-08-15, 13:09
I am currently looking for a medium weight, chrome lined barreled upper. Not interested in stainless. Wanting to mount a 1x6 or possibly 2x10 optic. So after looking around, I am considering a SOCOM barrel by Colt or BCM, or a medium weight Sionics.

How do these barrels compare? Anyone run both? I prefer midlength gas systems but not a total must have. Will shoot mostly 62-77 gr factory and handloads. Looking for more precision than my lightweights, and I refuse to buy any more govt profiles.

Molon's SOCOM barrel test has me craving a little more meat on the barrel for this build.

opngrnd
08-08-15, 14:34
Based on the accuracy I get with PMC Bronze, I'd say their med weight barrel is plenty accurate. From sand bags and using a red dot sight, I printed a 5-shot group sub 2" group. If you are reloading for it, I doubt you would have trouble getting an accurate load.

thebarracuda
08-08-15, 15:02
Thank you for the info. I keep coming back to this barrel.

Toecheese
08-08-15, 17:41
10.5" CHF with head spaced bolt would be killer.......