PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Boots

Smedley
05-09-14, 20:39
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o527/smedley1660/USAvsChina.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/smedley1660/media/USAvsChina.jpg.html)

Made in U.S.A. vs Made in China
Jungle Boots
Recently I decided to start wearing a light weight duty boot again at work.
After much shopping around I decided to go with the tried and true Vietnam era Jungle boot
(Approx. 30oz's).
Internet sales (Amazon) make these purchases easy to comparison shop, and like a fool I bought the inexpensive imported version (Rothco).
Big mistake! With very moderate use they were disintegrating off my feet after little more than 6 months.
Particularly troublesome was the way the imitation leather was cracking at key stress points.
So, back to the Internet to find the Genuine U.S.G.I. Issue Jungle boots.
Genuine means either Altama or Wellco (both made in the USA).
I went with Altama and I gotta tell you the difference in quality between the two is night and day.
So is the cost, $30.00 bucks Vs. $110.00, but ya get what ya pay for, right?
These Altama's are kick-ass boots and I've never seen a more aggressive sole than the Panama tread pattern.
Curiously, the Military is again looking at tropical weight uniforms and jungle boots. With Bates and Rocky brand being the two contenders for the boots. It's unclear to me why they won't just go with what has been proven to work in the past, Altama or Wellco?
More wasteful government spending if you ask me.
Carry on...

Altama: Black Jungle Mil Spec Boot (USA)
Ideal for: Canoeing, Load Bearing Missions
Height – 9"
Sole Pattern – Panama
Black Cordura® and Leather
Padded Collar
Outsole – Mil Spec Vulcanized Rubber
Removable Innersole – Cushioned Polyurethane
Nylon Coated Brass Speedhook/Eyelet Lacing System
In-Step Drainage Vents
Steel Shim Spike Protection
Berry Compliant
Made in USA

Related reading.
"Army seeks new options for tropical uniforms, jungle boots"
http://tinyurl.com/m63urfr

Tim059
05-09-14, 21:57
I love the light weight jungle boot style for patrol work. I've been wearing Nike SFB's for awhile now. A little expensive at around $130-$140 a pair, but worth it for me. I took 2 pairs to our SWAT Selection Course and did over 125 miles in 7 days with a 45lb ruck and they saved my feet! My only complaint is that the tread tends to wear down faster than I would like. I can't wear a goretex boot in the summer time anymore. Maybe I'll give the USGI jungle boots a spin when I wear my current boot out.

uffdaphil
05-09-14, 22:38
A caution about winter storage. Do not stash them in the garage over a Minnesota type winter. My brand new pair brought home from RVN split across the middle of the sole. Might be better rubber these days but why take the chance? Once broken in they are super comfy. Even without socks. And they dry quickly.

Smedley
05-10-14, 12:04
uffdaphil , The history of the jungle boot is fascinating. Wikepedia has a page devoted to them.
When I look at vintage Vietnam War era pictures or news reels, almost invariably I see the vibram type tread as shown on the left of this picture. Not sure of the soles rubber composition but they did seem stiffer than the material used in current Altama or Wellco.
The vibram type were also what was commonly found in Army-Navy Stores in the 1970's.
The Panama tread is softer material than the vibram type, with associated quicker wear if used primarily on asphalt. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make since the pros outweigh the cons (for me)
Good point though.
Sole tread designs of the early pattern tropical combat boots (left) and the Panama (right).
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o527/smedley1660/jungle_boots_01_400.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/smedley1660/media/jungle_boots_01_400.jpg.html)

uffdaphil
05-10-14, 12:32
Smedley, I don't remember if they were exactly the same as your photo, but I saw big-block cleats in Viet Nam in 1969-69. Whether transitional or just testing I don't know. I had big cleats on my VC tire sandals. Still have them somewhere.

Don Robison
05-10-14, 12:45
I found a pair of NOS jungle boots still with the tags last year in a thrift store for $7.00; best $7.00 I've spent in a while. I had worn them through the 80s and 90s until they were no longer issued and I couldn't find them as easily. One of my favorite boots for outdoors off pavement wear.

blade_68
05-10-14, 18:13
I remember my first set of jungle boots in the Army, made 5 months before I was born (1968) with Panama sole pattern. Paid less that $20.00 at Clothing Sales. My choice boot for most of my time in. After wearing the soles down have them re-sole with the ridge sole.... worked good going up hills not so well on side slopes or down hill. Better on hot pavement more air gap though. Got a pair about 20 ft away from me, bought them just before the change over to "Ain't Camouflage Uniform" another stupid idea that should not have been. How the cost has changed last pair cost me about $100.00

Know1
05-15-14, 13:31
I've been looking to get some jungle boots, but even the USA-made ones have mixed reviews as far as quality is concerned. Many reviewers seem disappointed in the quality compared to what they paid. Do you think they're expecting too much, or have you had the same experience?

Smedley
05-15-14, 15:26
Know1, The only quality deficiency I can think of might be the durability of the rubber sole on man made surfaces (asphalt, etc.). But really they're intended for off-road adventures. The quality of the leather and cordora nylon uppers is top notch, as is the stitching.

The cost for a pair is significant, but on Altama's website you can sometimes find considerable savings on their "sale" page. I got a great deal on a pair of blemished desert boots that way (and can't see any "blemish!"). One deciding factor for me was these boots are available in Extra Wide sizes. It can be a challenge to find extra wide sizes from other popular brands. Also, as mentioned above, you may be able to find "new old stock" jungle boots from such places as Ebay, etc. Just please, for the love of God don't waste you're money on the Chinese imported JB's!

jwdeeming
05-19-14, 22:41
Thanks for this info.

Smedley
05-19-14, 23:34
Thanks for this info.
These pictures may better illustrate the difference in quality and workmanship between the Altama's and Rothco's. All's not lost with my Rothco's however, they've become my new lawn cutting boots.
My lawn cutting shoes are usually relegated to footwear that's on it's last leg, and thus not too concerned if they get all buggered up with cut grass stains, etc...

Altama's - Note the stitching and quality of materials and construction.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o527/smedley1660/JBCloseup.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/smedley1660/media/JBCloseup.jpg.html)

Rothco's - Note the lack of quality and in particular the leather cracking at key stress points. Fail!

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o527/smedley1660/JBCloseup2.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/smedley1660/media/JBCloseup2.jpg.html)

HES
05-20-14, 09:53
Am I the only one who liked the black and green boots vs the all black boots?

Don Robison
05-20-14, 09:58
Am I the only one who liked the block and green boots vs the all black boots?

Nope, I never liked the black ones.

Mbrokaw89
06-08-14, 15:52
The NIKE SFB is an excellent boot. But still not quite a jungle boot. If say it's probably lighter though. When I was in Afghanistan I wore an Oakley LSA(land,sea,air.) I liked that boot, could easily run in it. I prefer the Rocky S2V for my duty boot. They're a little heavier but they are tough and durable. Lots of cushion for the feet, which I learned to appreciate and ditched the oakley LSA for later in the deployment. The S2V costs $180, but it's money well spent.

Spurholder
06-17-14, 07:52
Wore green jungles with BDU's on active duty as recently as 2003. Replaced the boot laces with black 550 cord - very nice improvement.

Back in the day, though (1985) - was able to wear OD green jungle ripstops with jungle boots for a few months. Made some very hot and humid work days a little more bearable than my issued "Elvis-collared" BDU's.

RioGrandeGreen
06-18-14, 20:30
Wore green jungles with BDU's on active duty as recently as 2003. Replaced the boot laces with black 550 cord - very nice improvement.

Back in the day, though (1985) - was able to wear OD green jungle ripstops with jungle boots for a few months. Made some very hot and humid work days a little more bearable than my issued "Elvis-collared" BDU's.

I remember those jungle boots and Elvis collars in the 80's at NTC. My jungle boots were awesome, I just poured water into them to cool off the feet.

I use to strip down to my brown t shirt, boxer and jungle boots in the driver's hatch of my M1. That's the only way to drive the M1 in the Mojave desert in the summer. The ammo temperature gauge was reading about 115 degrees.

Thanks for the memories

trackmagic
07-17-14, 15:05
If anybody has REALLY small feet...This is a bargain!
http://www.altama.com/products/8852-olive-drab-jungle-vulcanized-boot

ADDICTED2TONE
08-03-14, 14:01
We were issued jungle boots back in early 90s. I hated them things, they turned my feet to hamburger after a long ruck. With the advancement in footwear technology today, why would anyone want to wear jungle boots?
My Corcoran JAC boots and Original Swats are 10 times more comfortable than them.

Berserkr556
09-11-14, 07:48
I started wearing Jungle Boots when I was in high school. We had a surplus store in town and they had the real deal NOS green and black boots. These days you have to watch what your buying because the copies can fool you if you don't know what to look for. The real deal has brass eyelets that are coated and the fakes have steel or sometimes AL that is painted. The vulcanized soles of the real boots are easy to spot over the fakes as well. As stated above the stitching is better on the real boots but the fakes are getting a little better with fooling you there.