PDA

View Full Version : Sig 938

ridgerunner70
05-10-14, 00:21
I ended up buying a pocket gun today. I won a shotgun in a raffle so after trade in I ended up giving $350 for a Sig Sauer 938. So after I shot a few rounds through it at 7 yds my group is high and I find the small gun a little odd. I bought this for putting in my back pocket, front pocket, basically summer time use and then I will go back to my G19 during colder weather. So after doing some research on here I didn't find much on the 938 which I'm taking kind of scary? One of the questions I have is did the 938 serve your purpose as a pocket gun OR do you wish maybe went with a G26 instead? Another question is the 938 is something I have to get used to as being a pocket gun? And how reliable have they been for you?

urbantactic
05-10-14, 10:11
I purchased a Sig P938 in February. Fit and finish of the pistol is excellent. However, I am a big guy, and I just couldn't get the grip I wanted when drawing from appendix or strong side.

I will be selling the pistol shortly and most likely purchasing an M&P 9c from Grant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kmr54
05-10-14, 10:53
The 7round extended mag improves grip and accuracy. Great for pocket carry and 100% reliable.

B Cart
05-10-14, 10:57
I've only shot a buddy's P938, but I did own a P238 (.380 version) for many years after they came out. It carried great as a pocket pistol, and I put over 1,000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. I wanted a P938 since they were almost the same size but the P938 had the benefit of being 9mm, but I found myself just carrying my full size 9mm gun 99% of the time, so I sold the P238 and didn't get another pocket pistol.

But as for a pocket pistol, I found the P238/938 to be heads and shoulders above the other common pocket pistols in terms of quality and shootability. It has a much better trigger, and seemed to shoot much smoother and more accurate than the Ruger LCP, bodyguard, and other common pocket pistols that I shot. I carried it in a pocket holster, ankle holster, and smart carry with good success.

I personally don't find enough use for a pocket pistol anymore, but having shot many of them, the Sig P238/938 seems to be the best option, in my opinion.

thei3ug
05-10-14, 20:26
What's it like carrying a single action pocket pistol? I've carried SA before, but for some reason the idea of actually placing one in a pocket and drawing was a little off putting.

jhr1986
05-11-14, 03:43
What's it like carrying a single action pocket pistol? I've carried SA before, but for some reason the idea of actually placing one in a pocket and drawing was a little off putting.

I love my 1911s and the p938 is a great little gun that I have no reservations carrying.

I've heard other people say they don't feel safe carrying SA pistols but I can't figure out why. I'm no trying to be combative as I am neither an expert pistolero or operator as f***. These same people have no problem throwing a PM9 or G42 in their pockets, how are those pistols more "safe" than a cocked and locked SA?

thei3ug
05-11-14, 06:30
It wasn't the SA that bothered me. It was the idea that now there's a hammer that can get caught in the pocket. I really don't know because I've never done it.

skipper49
05-11-14, 08:15
I bought a 938 seven or eight months ago, and liked it so much that I bought a second one. Great shooters, very, very accurate, and as was stated above, a cut above many tiny pistols today. Neither of mine have malfunctioned, and I carry one in my pocket every day and everywhere. Cocked and locked carry with the 938 is about as safe as any functioning firearm can be. Count me as a fan.

Skip

Stubby
05-11-14, 08:44
I love mine! The addition of the 7 round mag lets me get a real good grip on it http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/9e2ynu9e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/aba5uqeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridgerunner70
05-11-14, 10:52
Mine came with the hogue grips and makes it real comfortable grip but makes it a little more bulky. I'm thinking about trying a different more slim grip for a bit as well.

OdinIII
05-11-14, 11:20
I bought a 938 seven or eight months ago, and liked it so much that I bought a second one. Great shooters, very, very accurate, and as was stated above, a cut above many tiny pistols today. Neither of mine have malfunctioned, and I carry one in my pocket every day and everywhere. Cocked and locked carry with the 938 is about as safe as any functioning firearm can be. Count me as a fan.

Skip

What pocket holster are you guys using?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

skipper49
05-11-14, 11:55
What pocket holster are you guys using?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'd BEEN using the excellent pocket rig, with matching, offside pocket, dual mag carrier, from Ryan Grizzle, when I was carrying my SIG 238 everyday. When I bought the first 938 I picked up a Nemesis at the same time, so I could carry it while I waited on leather. I'm STILL going to order another Grizzle rig, but meantime the Nemesis is "ok". Bulkier than Ryan's leather holster, but not bad. I actually cut a piece of stiff cardboard to slip in my pocket, between the gun/holster and outside of the pocket, to better hide the "print" of the pistol at my office job. Wear it everyday, with no one the wiser.

Skip

OdinIII
05-11-14, 13:50
I'd BEEN using the excellent pocket rig, with matching, offside pocket, dual mag carrier, from Ryan Grizzle, when I was carrying my SIG 238 everyday.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I can just tell that I wouldn't be happy with the Nemesis or Superfly.

decodeddiesel
05-11-14, 14:22
My wife is quite smitten with the 938s. She loves my 1911, and wants the 938 for her CCW piece (paperwork is in for her permit). She wanted 9mm as a minimum, .380 was out of the question. She likes the 938 a lot more than the Shield and the XDS. I have concerns as to the reliability, but reading this thread has abated a lot of those concerns. We're trying to figure out an IWB holster that will work well for her.

skipper49
05-11-14, 14:28
My bride (67 yrs old) loves to shoot ours.

Skip

Cap'n Crash
05-12-14, 17:35
My friend has one and occasionally experiences light primer strike failures to fire. Anyone else experienced this or figured out the reason? The rounds in question will fire after chambering in a different pistol model

skipper49
05-12-14, 19:28
My friend has one and occasionally experiences light primer strike failures to fire. Anyone else experienced this or figured out the reason? The rounds in question will fire after chambering in a different pistol model

Several possibilities, but first thing, clean the firing pin and it's channel thoroughly. If he keeps having problems, don't hesitate to let SIG take care of it. They are good folks.

Skip

Cap'n Crash
05-12-14, 20:20
Thanks Skip

ridgerunner70
05-13-14, 17:24
I have been using a Remora no-clip iwb holster for now. It's cheap but services the purpose.