PDA

View Full Version : Battle Belt Holster Assistance

Konaboy
05-11-14, 07:57

I have put together a battle belt for an advanced pistol class I have coming up later this summer. I currently have a two round mag holder, a flashlight holder, a butt pack, and a water bottle holder on it. I was going to put my EDC Raven Concealment Phantom holster on it but am now thinking about a drop leg holster. I am looking at a Spartan Village Mid Ride Holster for my M&P .45: www.spartan-village.com/smith---Wesson-mid-ride.html
Any recommendations would be much appreciated and thanks ahead of time.
John

Hmac
05-11-14, 08:12
I'm a big fan of Blade-Tech holsters and generally prefer to put them on their drop/offset mount. My experience with drop leg holsters hasn't been positive. The DOH version puts the butt of the pistol at an excellent angle and reach for me without tethering it to my thigh. That causes the thing to shift around too much for me to be comfortable.

ptmccain
05-11-14, 08:38
You might want to take at the Blue Force SOC-C belt (http://www.blueforcegear.com/soc-c-modular-padded-belt-kit.html) which makes attaching a holster very easy and very secure. I use a Bladetech drop/offset holster and it is perfect. Here's a video (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMR6-4LOCcEc&ei=Mn1vU-H5BM2nyATBs4CYDg&usg=AFQjCNG5XKDIlQo8myfHhePbRLH9NwOoHA&sig2=HWl7r_bYpUCR7qdhN33WOw&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw) on attaching a holster. I didn't mess with the extra velcro step on the video, just put it on and it is very secure.

Konaboy
05-11-14, 09:03
The Blue Force kit looks really nice but I'm committed since I have this current set up I just purchased. thanks for the advice though.....

Konaboy
05-11-14, 09:07
Thank you for the advice on Blade Tech holster Hmac. They look like quality holsters. Why the bad luck with drop leg holsters? A guy I work with said I should be using the set up I use for EDC in a pistol class but my thoughts were to try and make it a little more fun by adding the battle belt. I guess we can all second guess our kit choices right?

SOW_0331
05-11-14, 11:21
Thank you for the advice on Blade Tech holster Hmac. They look like quality holsters. Why the bad luck with drop leg holsters? A guy I work with said I should be using the set up I use for EDC in a pistol class but my thoughts were to try and make it a little more fun by adding the battle belt. I guess we can all second guess our kit choices right?

Drop leg holsters are heavy as shit. There's very few ways that can secure one that won't have it swinging around when you run. The more it moves, the more likely it is to fall out.

You'd be better off with a similar cut to your EDC holster on a spacer for the battle belt.

Hmac
05-11-14, 12:15

Not bad luck with Blade-Tech, I don't care for drop leg holsters at all. They bind, they ride up, they twist around, they flop getting into and out of different shooting positions and are difficult in a vehicle. Just, for me, an all-around inconvenient way to carry a handgun, and I've tried several different versions by several different companies. IMHO, far better to have the holster tethered to a nice, rigid, well-supported belt in one constant position rather than allowing it to flex and move independent of the belt that it's attached to. It looks cool and all of that, but as is so often the case, looks don't necessarily track with functionality.

Yes, Blade-Tech makes excellent holsters. They are durable, and they provide a very positive lock-in for the pistol yet still allow an easy draw. I also have noted over the years that they don't really wear the finish on the gun as much as some holsters, even leather pancakes. Blade-Tech in particular makes a nice flexible platform. I use their TMMS system so I can switch the various holsters I have between my 3-gun belt and my Brokos "battle belt" so I can quick-detach just the holster and move one holster between belts or different holsters between one belt without having to remove the whole thing from the belt.

JackFanToM
05-11-14, 20:59
I use a mid drop on a safariland, and just added a thigh strap....isn't a true complete dropleg, but drops my holster a bit below my gear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtqc091ttplayn6/2014-05-04%2019.06.58.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8znblfrd9q8jlw/2014-05-04%2019.07.58.jpg

ptmccain
05-11-14, 21:28
I don't understand why you put a leg strap on your holster. Looks to me like it would be fine without.

Also, how do you like those M4 mag/pistol mag combos. Looks like a good set up.

JackFanToM
05-11-14, 21:31
I'm sure it would be fine without the strap, but the strap is non-permanent and adds a layer of support that keeps the belt from riding up when moving. I dig the double decker tacos. gives me a similar muscle memory for reloading both platforms, and they work with multiple different mags.

jpeezy
05-11-14, 22:34
I like the ALS low ride holsters (6395), just my two cents.

JackFanToM
05-11-14, 22:35
kinda limited for PPQs at the moment

elephantrider
05-12-14, 00:05
My recommendation would be to modify a Safariland 6004 for mid-ride, as is show in this link:
http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/
, or buy a Safariland 6280 mid-ride holster (same body as 6004, less the drop and bail guard) and add a strap to secure it better.

If you look around you can buy the 6004 without the drop leg attachment and then go buy a separate leg strap and mid-ride attachment to save some money.
I agree with the other posters, that drop legs are near impossible to use, but this solves the problem for the 6004. I use this setup and just cut the guard off of the 6004.

JackFanToM
05-12-14, 00:07
Oddly that is exactly what I have and the picture I posted shows

elephantrider
05-12-14, 04:22
Oddly that is exactly what I have and the picture I posted shows

Not odd at all, since it is a common setup. Only difference being that you have yours on a battle belt and the ITS Tactical example is on a standard belt. Personally I prefer the standard belt setup as it does not require a battle belt to wear the holster and the holster sits lower. A battle belt can be added over a standard belt if desired.

Konaboy
05-12-14, 18:28
Thankyou all for the great advice. Looks like I have a little more research to do to make this final decision. luckily my pistol class is not to late August.

Hmac
05-12-14, 20:40
Thankyou all for the great advice. Looks like I have a little more research to do to make this final decision. luckily my pistol class is not to late August.

Some of the more popular holster makers have a significant backlog.

ra2bach
05-13-14, 14:30
if you're taking an advanced pistol course you probably already have something and know how it works. don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

if it's a pistol only course, I use my EDC setup. if it's combined with carbine course, my HSGI belt runs a Safariland holster on a UBL in as close to the EDC position as possible...

Konaboy
05-13-14, 19:49
if you're taking an advanced pistol course you probably already have something and know how it works. don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

if it's a pistol only course, I use my EDC setup. if it's combined with carbine course, my HSGI belt runs a Safariland holster on a UBL in as close to the EDC position as possible...
I have never worn a battle belt before so I plan to do a lot of range days to see if I like it. Thanks for the reply brother....

ra2bach
05-16-14, 13:15
I have never worn a battle belt before so I plan to do a lot of range days to see if I like it. Thanks for the reply brother....

battle belts have their place. you (or maybe I missed it) didn't mention if this range day is going to be with a carbine or pistol only. IMO, a BB really is only beneficial when adding a carbine.

training with a battle belt is a good idea but again, I would try to position the holster and spare mags as close to your EDC as possible...

Konaboy
05-16-14, 13:42
battle belts have their place. you (or maybe I missed it) didn't mention if this range day is going to be with a carbine or pistol only. IMO, a BB really is only beneficial when adding a carbine.

training with a battle belt is a good idea but again, I would try to position the holster and spare mags as close to your EDC as possible...

It is pistol only for the class but I will be taking a carbine class later in the fall as well. I was all about having a drop leg holster till I posted on this forum. I guess I should just take my Raven Phantom EDC holster and put it on my belt instead. Thanks for all the great advice.

ra2bach
05-19-14, 12:49
It is pistol only for the class but I will be taking a carbine class later in the fall as well. I was all about having a drop leg holster till I posted on this forum. I guess I should just take my Raven Phantom EDC holster and put it on my belt instead. Thanks for all the great advice.

training is training. if you want to wear it in a pistol only class that's perfectly reasonable as a way to wring it out as to how it wears, placement of pouches, etc.. that way you'll have one less piece of gear to be messing with during your carbine class.

I carry a little more gear on my belt than some people, less than some, because I like having my PC less cumbersome. I keep pistol, 3 mags, spare light, multitool, HSGI BOK with Marz Tactical TQ holder, 1 AR mag and TWO dump pouches. these are 5.11, a medium and a small. the medium for partial carbine mags and the small as a water bottle pouch. they take one column of molle and fold up very compact when not in use.

don't be afraid to experiment. try rearranging things several times during breaks to see what works and what doesn't. and don't forget to try this in different positions (kneeling, prone, supine, etc..).

edit to add: if you think there's a possibility you'll want to sit in a chair, drive, or shoot from a supine position, I would strongly advise to do away with the butt pack you have in your opening post. I keep the back of my belt slick except for my larger dumpsack which moves out of the way or stays compactly folded...

Konaboy
05-21-14, 04:51
edit to add: if you think there's a possibility you'll want to sit in a chair, drive, or shoot from a supine position, I would strongly advise to do away with the butt pack you have in your opening post. I keep the back of my belt slick except for my larger dumpsack which moves out of the way or stays compactly folded...

I am not sure if my logic is sound or not but my thoughts with the butt pack were I could use it as a dumpsack for classes and wear it when I hike with the dog and the kids to get use to moving around in it. I always have to bring a camelback on hikes for all the kids things they just have to have on the hike. I have been wearing my rig at the range already bending behind cover, prone shooting, doing some different range/target set ups that I read in a Pat McNamara book. Thanks for the great advice brother.