PDA

View Full Version : More lumens for a G2 on an AK?

grantoga
05-11-14, 10:36
My current "truck gun" is an Arsenal SLR 107 with a chopped and pinned barrel, an ultimak rail and an Vltor offset light mount with a Surefire G2 light. In an effort to increase the lumen output of the light, I got one of those drop-in R5 heads from amazon that brings it up to an advertised 600 lumens. I love the output of the light (and I have an aluminum bezel) but I have lost reliability. In order to get the head to work, you have to remove an outer spring. This makes the head loose in the body, so I have tried all kinds of things to get it tighter. Aluminum foil, a spring with less coils etc. Under recoil the light will occasionally stop working. This is unacceptable to me, so Im wondering if there is a drop in head unit that requires no modification to fit correctly in a G2 body. Would I just be better off getting a light that will fit in the Vltor mount with more output? This gun is taken into the woods frequently, so Im looking for 300-700 lumens with a fairly long throw

dmd08
05-11-14, 11:10
I would start by looking at the Malkoff line of drop ins to see if there was a solution there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

calviroman
05-11-14, 11:54
Malkoff M61 Mod for the win....and they're on sale right now. I have a G2 and a pair of 6P's with this drop in and its a beautiful 300+ lumen beam and only draws 600mA off of new SF 123's.

grantoga
05-11-14, 17:13
Nice! Ill look into the Malkoff. Are they a direct drop in for a G2? Where are they on sale at? Thanks guys

calviroman
05-11-14, 17:18
Nice! Ill look into the Malkoff. Are they a direct drop in for a G2? Where are they on sale at? Thanks guys

They are on sale at the Malkoff devices Web site. Yes it is a true drop in

Hizzie
05-23-14, 09:14
I just slapped a Malkoff P61 in an old school Surefire on my Yugo OPAP. 325 lumens makes a huge difference and the Mslkoff pieces are very well done.

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-14, 17:19
As others have said Malkoff or TNVC has there Q5 Cree LED Lamp drop-in.

http://tnvc.com/shop/q5-cree-led-drop-in-lamp/