PDA

View Full Version : Do you report lost or stolen knives?

Ledanek
05-11-14, 10:41
curious if any of y'all have to either report a lost or stolen knive(s)

I recently dropped or inadvertently left in a changing room my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 556.
I'm rather confused with this lost and just want some input if you've been in this situation.

thanks

looking for a replacement now,

levik97
05-11-14, 19:11
If you're asking if it is a legal requirement to report lost or stolen knives, then I would doubt it. It might not be a bad idea, though, to let the business know that you lost one at that establishment. At the least you have a chance of them finding it and getting it back to you.

Funny that you mention losing a knife. Two weeks ago I was at the Colorado State FBLA Conference and I was almost certain I lost my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (a knife I would recommend BTW). Luckily I was able to find it the next day, as we were leaving, on the hotel room floor where it had fallen out of my pocket. I also lost my Mini Grip last fall under one of the parts shelves at work. One of the guys I work with found it about a month later when we were reorganizing and expanding our parts on hand. I actually ordered my PM2 as a result of losing my Mini Grip.

Levi

P.S. Good luck in finding a new knife! Benchmade, Spyderco, and many other knife companies make products that will suit you well.

ST911
05-11-14, 19:42
It would depend on the type and value of the knife, the place I lost it, the potential for a perceived or bona-fide legal problem, and similar variables. If notifying management of a business, I might report the loss of a small, <insert color here>, "pocket tool", "pen knife", "SAK", or similarly mundane description and leave my name and number. I can elaborate and positively ID later.

I favor inexpensive folders that can be lost or abandoned without consequence, afterthought, or financial hardship.

Ledanek
05-11-14, 20:39
If you're asking if it is a legal requirement to report lost or stolen knives, then I would doubt it. It might not be a bad idea, though, to let the business know that you lost one at that establishment. At the least you have a chance of them finding it and getting it back to you.

I'm trying to protect my own interest, with after thought that knife may be used to commit/ or have been used in a crime.

the said knife was acquired (per receipt) around $60...must have been a clearance/ holiday sale.

I've added it to my Amazon Price Tracktor just in case it drops price again. I really enjoyed that knife. Missed it terribly today when I was making some DIY project. Could have used it.

Thanks everyone.

bp7178
05-12-14, 01:22
There's no legal requirement.

EVERY cutting/stabbing I've worked has always been a kitchen el'cheapo block o' knives style thing. Those little paring style knives with the wood handles are a fan favorite.

I wouldn't report anything as lost if I didn't have a serial number. If you dropped it or left it its not stolen. You're drastically over thinking it.

Ledanek
05-12-14, 18:03
There's no legal requirement...................

I wouldn't report anything as lost if I didn't have a serial number. If you dropped it or left it its not stolen. You're drastically over thinking it.

I just leery nowadays.

there was a passenger that got held up by TSA/Local PD because of a spend brass shell in his hand carry.

I don't think its has a serial number.
The waiting for the next deal is just torture.
:o

bp7178
05-12-14, 20:29
Trying to get through airport security with spent brass is different than losing a knife.

levik97
05-13-14, 21:13
I just leery nowadays.

there was a passenger that got held up by TSA/Local PD because of a spend brass shell in his hand carry.

I don't think its has a serial number.
The waiting for the next deal is just torture.
:o
Haha my uncle got put on the terror watch list because they found a spent .45 ACP shell in the lining of his jacket!

Levi

Iraqgunz
05-14-14, 05:48
I disassemble my knives and have my name, SSN and DOB micro lasered into them. Then I do a fingerprint under the handle scales.

bruin
05-14-14, 10:47
Good approach, IG. Don't forget the RFID chip and DNA sample, too.

brandon larson
06-24-21, 10:22
curious if any of y'all have to either report a lost or stolen knive(s)

I recently dropped or inadvertently left in a changing room my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 556.
I'm rather confused with this lost and just want some input if you've been in this situation.

thanks

looking for a replacement now,

No, i just buy a new one. What good is looking for a knife in this huge world.

caporider
06-24-21, 12:11
I've been held up and relieved of quite a few pocketable/folding knives by a powerful gang with the initials T-S-A. :cool:

jmoore
06-24-21, 12:36
I’m embarrassed to say how many knives I’ve lost in the past 5-6 decades:)
OTOH - the only knife I ever reported to LEOs was a Benchmade OTF auto that was stolen from my office desk at the college I taught at for 40+ years. Probably janitorial staff, and was never recovered.

geezerjohn

kerplode
06-24-21, 15:23

Really?!? You bumped a 7 year old thread just to add that little gem?

I think the OP figured that out by now.

Kids these days...

vandal5
06-25-21, 09:52
Really?!? You bumped a 7 year old thread just to add that little gem?

I think the OP figured that out by now.

Kids these days...

At least there was a pretty funny post from IG in there.

AndyLate
06-27-21, 22:51

Fun fact - Barak Obama was president when the thread last went dormant.