PDA

View Full Version : Handle latches

wichaka
06-02-08, 01:50
Looking for a charging handle latch for LE duty use, that won't get caught on other gear/clothes. What do you out there use, if anything?

Oscar 319
06-02-08, 02:25
The one that came on the gun.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Any "tactical" latch(like Badger's) is going to protrude more.... IMO the con's out weigh the pro's for LE work. It's just one more thing to tear off your name plate or snag your badge.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-02-08, 05:00
Looking for a charging handle latch for LE duty use, that won't get caught on other gear/clothes. What do you out there use, if anything?

I ditched my regular latch for a PRI big latch. The reason being is that the PRI actually snags less. While it does protrude more, the rounded end lets the gear just slip off, instead of bind on it, like it does with the aggressive texturing and curve of the regular CH latch. YMMV.

Robb Jensen
06-02-08, 06:31
I also would recommend the PRI big latch. The latch barely is wider than the charging handle and the end is rounded off.
Here's a view from the top of my 3gun rifle which has a PRI gas buster with a big latch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifles007.jpg

Dave L.
06-02-08, 11:26
The only thing that sucks about steel latches is they are much harder on the receiver. They will tear the anodizing off first then dig into the aluminum. Maybe smoothing out the steel will help.
I have a PRI and $90 for a charging handle gets less appealing every time I buy another AR. I really don't think they are worth the extra money- you can buy 4 LMT or CMT charging handles for the same price as a PRI.
I have never had nor heard of any charging handle breaking.

markm
06-02-08, 11:32

Neither have I. But apparently there are some CAST charging handles out there. I've read some replies here about seeing those break.

ST911
06-02-08, 11:40

Neither have I. But apparently there are some CAST charging handles out there. I've read some replies here about seeing those break.

Bending is the issue, much more than outright breakage.

Noted on several guns from a ususal suspect. The latch was the Badger Ord, and not the problem.

hellbound
06-02-08, 11:41

i had the lip of a Stag/CMT charging handle (the part that engages the front of the BCG) bend/crack off...

Stag replaced it at no cost to me...

markm
06-02-08, 12:01
i had the lip of a Stag/CMT charging handle (the part that engages the front of the BCG) bend/crack off...

Routine use or rough use in your opinion?

markm
06-02-08, 12:03
Noted on several guns from a ususal suspect.

Does it rhyme with Dee Pee Emm Ess? :p

hellbound
06-02-08, 13:16
Routine use or rough use in your opinion?

the gun was yet to be fired... i think the upper/BCG was just a little too dry and the additional force needed to pull everything back bent it...

the replacement is in another rifle and works fine

wichaka
06-03-08, 18:18
Ok. so what's the poop about so called 'tactical charging handles.....yes or no?

ST911
06-03-08, 21:37
Ok. so what's the poop about so called 'tactical charging handles.....yes or no?

More useful to some, in some aps, than others. With gloves, with optics. Always with a quality charging handle.

Small investment to try one out.