PDA

View Full Version : It may have been Mother's Day, but I bought my dad something...

Trifecta
05-11-14, 22:55
When my father was in his teens, he was promised by his uncle 3 firearms. A browning Hi-power, marlin 336 30-30 and a browning sweet 16. A few years later his uncle passed and his cousins took all the firearms and essentially stiffed my Dad. This upset him, but he rolled with it and moved on, he is the type that if family screws you over... You just take the high road and deal with it, don't rock the boat.

Well, his father bought him the browning sweet 16 (1966 vintage) when that happened, and last year I bought my father a very nice pre-remlin JM stamped 336 marlin in 30-30 for Christmas and that was about the closest I've ever seen my old man come to shedding some tears when he opened up that big 'ol box.

Today, I found a 1969 vintage Browning Hi-power 9mm that's pretty much immaculate and completely gorgeous. After the Mother's Day mini celebration at my parents house I took my dad outside to my car and handed it over to him and he was in absolute shock.

How else does one repay the man that has done everything to shape me into the person I am today and instilled the morals and ethics that I hold along with doing everything to provide for me and my mother? I guess a couple guns is a good start!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/bstegall31/20140511_130848_zpsc610c0a9.jpg

Shortly after, we went to the range and here he is taking the first shots with it.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/bstegall31/20140511_133039_zps334555e6.jpg

The old man can still rock a pretty good group, 10 yards off hand.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/bstegall31/20140511_133905_zps829ada0c.jpg

And incase you guys think that I didn't treat my mom well, I got her an entire afternoon at a spa to get pampered along with a couple gift cards and then my dad and I took her to dinner afterwards to a pretty nice restaurant - an expensive day but very much so worth it on all fronts.

SeriousStudent
05-11-14, 23:01
I'd like to introduce you to my son sometime.....

Seriously, that is a very classy thing to do. I hope you and your father get to make a range trip very soon, and you make some more memories with that pistol.

Trifecta
05-11-14, 23:03
I appreciate the kind words, SeriousStudent

Already a step ahead of you on that one, we made a range trip shortly thereafter and I've got to say... Now I know why these pistols have a cult like following and command a high price.

SeriousStudent
05-11-14, 23:13
Much agree on the cult thing. The BHP is still my very favorite pistol to hold and shoot.

I'm glad you both got a chance to go out and shoot it. What a fun habit to start, eh?

Trifecta
05-11-14, 23:18
We shoot together every Sunday, and every so often I can twist his arm to coming with me to carbine courses and handgun training courses as well. He started me off with shooting at a very young age and very rarely do we miss a ritual Sunday range day.

And for those that care, here is a picture of that marlin I picked up for him last Christmas.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/bstegall31/20131215_161942_zps164b0996.jpg

decodeddiesel
05-12-14, 00:18
Very classy! From the looks of those groups, your pops and that P35 are a match! (no pun)

SiGfever
05-12-14, 09:13
Good on you. Those memories are what he will hold forever.

1toughdog
05-12-14, 11:12
Nice post, thanks for sharing!

RWH24
05-12-14, 12:25
Are you adopting any childless older gentlemen? :smile:

Good son, Good son.....

Trifecta
05-12-14, 15:05
Thanks for the kind words fellas

glocktogo
05-12-14, 16:55
Bravo Zulu Sir! It's good to hear positive story outcomes like yours!

Quick Draw
05-12-14, 17:07
You are very wise to spend time with him and show your love while you can. It is later than you think

one
05-12-14, 17:31
You did a great thing, more than once.

And he obviously did a hell of a job with raising you.

decodeddiesel
05-12-14, 18:49
You are very wise to spend time with him and show your love while you can. It is later than you think

Tough subject, but your absolutely right. I lost my father when I was 23 years old, and my wife's father died when she was 27. Both were unexpected. I'd give just about anything to have another good memory with him.

Bpc9876
05-12-14, 18:55
You're a solid guy in my book just knowing that tiny bit about you!

Trifecta
05-12-14, 20:18
You did a great thing, more than once.

And he obviously did a hell of a job with raising you.

That means a lot, I know that most sons strive to be half the man that their father is/was and I feel that way as well.

Tough subject, but your absolutely right. I lost my father when I was 23 years old, and my wife's father died when she was 27. Both were unexpected. I'd give just about anything to have another good memory with him.
I am very sorry to hear that bud, I cannot imagine how hard that must have been. My dad is 63 and I am 24 and I realize that I will never have enough time to make memories and will never be able to get them back either.

You're a solid guy in my book just knowing that tiny bit about you!
Well hell I can't disagree with that logic, if that is your outlook I have to assume you're a solid guy as well.

SOW_0331
05-13-14, 04:54
Trifecta,

I was caught off guard by this post. I read the thread title and thought "another asshole bought himself a gun after buying his wife an expensive Mother's Day gift". But I let curiosity take over.

Dude, what you did was awesome. My old man wasn't perfect, him and I both know that. Nor was I the perfect son. But after both of us nearly died several times in a short time frame, we realized we needed to out our past behind us. When I moved back to NH to be closer to him, one of the first things we did was work together on his old Remington 870. It was a rusty old thing that he had meant to work on for years, and a blast to clean up. For Father's Day, I bought him a 10/22 for the foxes that bother his chickens. He loves that crazy gun. This year for Father's Day, my brother and I got him a G19 and had all three of our slides get matching engravings.

Anyway, I don't know what's after this life. I'm not banking on much, so it's what we do today that matters. That last line you had about your dad shaping you into who you are, it resonated with me, and it sure as hell sounds like your old man did a great job. Now that I have my own kids, I look back on all the shit my dad waded through to give us the best life he could. It ain't easy. There's not much better of a gift than your kids wanting to include you in their lives and taking this much effort to find something that will mean so much to him.

I'll raise my glass to you trifecta. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing, because you're doin it right. Enjoy making these memories with him and know that gift meant so much more to him than just a gun.