PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a 2X Aimpoint?

olds442tyguy
09-14-06, 20:25
Does anyone run a ML2-2X? What would you say are the pros and cons of it?

Also, do they all have the fixed add on magnification piece, or do they offer models with internal magnification?

Manx
09-14-06, 21:35
Does anyone run a ML2-2X? What would you say are the pros and cons of it?

Also, do they all have the fixed add on magnification piece, or do they offer models with internal magnification?

I've got an Aimpoint Comp M2 2x 2MOA dot like new in the box. I honestly don't care for it much. (Still in the box and likely to stay there.) The 2x magnification is not enough to help you see the target, it makes it difficult to shoot with two-eyes open and the field of view is very, very narrow.

The Aimpoint 2x sight is nothing more than a standard Comp M2 with a 2x converter (like you'd screw into the front lens of a video camera) screwed and glued to the front objective.

I've contemplated taking a Dremel tool to cut off the 2x so I'd have a standard Comp M2 with 2MOA dot. I've tried to use a rubber strap wrench to get it off but it is glued on. I haven't tried heating it up with a propane torch, because I was afraid of damaging the 1x part of the sight. I think a Dremel is the only alternative. Either that, or I need to find someone who likes this thing and will pay or trade for it.

olds442tyguy
09-15-06, 13:29
It looks like they would make the magnification internal, or atleast make the add on piece removeable. I searched high and low, and I have yet to find a person who likes it. :confused:

Thanks for the opinions though. I think I'll have to scout one out locally to try before I consider picking one up.

Boom
09-15-06, 16:45
The 2X models really do not have much going for them. You cannot cowitness irons thru the optic as its not 1X. The FOV is very small compared to other good quality scopes and the only reason its a 2X it that Aimpint was not able to water proof that unit. Hence they install the 2X mag on the front and seal it up. Thats right boys and girls all 2X Aimpoints are optics that did not pass the dunk test. Instead of throwing it away they just install the mag on the front and seal it with the rubber gasket and glue. So do not remove the front mag or you may have fog problems with your unit.

C4IGrant
09-16-06, 14:17
They are so bad, that I don't even stock them and do everything I can to talk a customer out of them (if they want one).

C4

olds442tyguy
09-16-06, 15:36
Thanks a bunch for letting me know about that. I like Aimpoint and all but I feel that's kind of lame, especially that they offer it in their MIL/LE lines.