PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone mounted offset sights on the BCM KMR rail?

Karinger
05-12-14, 14:16
I was wondering if anyone has tried mounting sights on one of the offset angles on a KMR rail. I know I could just get flip up sights and co-witness them through an optic but I am looking for a larger field of view when using open sights. I am open to ideas and experience.

markm
05-12-14, 14:28
They'd have to either attach to the top rail, or direct attach via keymod. A rail segment wont' work at 10 or 2 o'clock.

You're pretty much stuck using one of the regular offset mounting systems as far as I know. direct attach would be a slick (although somewhat niche) product.

Karinger
05-12-14, 14:33
They'd have to either attach to the top rail, or direct attach via keymod. A rail segment wont' work at 10 or 2 o'clock.

You're pretty much stuck using one of the regular offset mounting systems as far as I know. direct attach would be a slick (although somewhat niche) product.

That was my thought also.

TexanInCali
05-12-14, 15:05
I'm still waiting for KAC direct attach offset keymod sights to be in stock anywhere. They're the only ones I've seen that make such a product.

My original plan was to mount some MBUS on rail segments on the 10:30 o'clock side (I mostly shoot lefty).
Rail mounted sights won't work because the rail segment takes up all the space on the 1:30 and 10:30 o'clock 45 degree sides. You can't mount anything on them as there's no clearance with the 12 o'clock top rail.

However, using 45 degree offset mounts would allow you to keep your rear buis on the upper receiver instead of the rail, giving you a longer sight radius.

Onyx Z
05-12-14, 16:21
Until a direct mount becomes available (KAC), I would use a IWC Thorntail offset 1913 mount. They're kind of pricey though.

DWood
05-12-14, 17:28
Other than the QD sling mounts available from a few places, what else will go in the "IN-BETWEEN" positions? Not much available yet.

I want a 1" keymod mount for a single CR123 light on the angle at 10-11 o'clock. Now that would be low profile, unlike the Thorntail which requires a picatinny piece, and the 1" loop. The Thorntail is way to bulky for my tastes. Mounting a 1" light on the angles puts it inside the circumference of the rail, rather than a mount on the 3 or 9 o'clock which increases the profile.

The KAC sights are on page 2 of the link below.

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10

TexanInCali
05-12-14, 17:58
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10[/url]

Yep. Unfortunately, they've been sold out for months. I've never seen them in stock anywhere.

GH41
05-13-14, 14:06
The KAC direct attached sights may not work on the KMR either if the questioned dimension is much more than .600... GH

markm
05-13-14, 14:23
I want a 1" keymod mount for a single CR123 light on the angle at 10-11 o'clock. Now that would be low profile, unlike the Thorntail which requires a picatinny piece, and the 1" loop.

Yep. Have you looked at the Noveske light mount? I'm already overspent on gun stuff, or I'd order one of theirs.

TexanInCali
05-13-14, 17:02
The KAC direct attached sights may not work on the KMR either if the questioned dimension is much more than .600... GH

Good point. Also, I'd like to mount them on the 10:30 o'clock position and the windage adjustment on the rear sight may not clear the top rail.

GH41
05-13-14, 20:05
I am probably going with Dueck offsets on my do everything rifle. The fact that the KAC's don't lock up is a liability to me whether they fit or not . I don't want BU sights... I want fixed offset sights. Now if we could just get someone to make a fixed 4X scope with a decent reticle!! GH

cemoulton
05-13-14, 22:35
I'm a big fan of the xs24/7 offsets, very low profile, but they don't work well for people with fat cheeks or people who want to twist their neck like a freak and refuse to rotate the rifle.

Pi3
08-22-14, 18:16
Maybe magpul will come out with offset sight.

TexanInCali
08-22-14, 19:07
Maybe magpul will come out with offset sight.

If they do, it won't be for KeyMod.

Pi3
08-23-14, 21:12
If they do, it won't be for KeyMod.

I was thinking something like a less expensive set of fold down sights similar to the kac.

http://www.rogtac.com/kac-offset-buis-300m.html

brianc142
08-24-14, 13:14
I am probably going with Dueck offsets on my do everything rifle. The fact that the KAC's don't lock up is a liability to me whether they fit or not . I don't want BU sights... I want fixed offset sights. Now if we could just get someone to make a fixed 4X scope with a decent reticle!! GH
I was given a set of these and tried them on my KMR upper but they aren't for me. They are very well made though and if you really want offset sights, I think these are the best thing going.