PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 40-9mm with KKM barrel

siegrisj
05-12-14, 16:36
Here's my story, I have an early 2000's model glock 23 3rd gen. I'm wanting to convert it to 9mm. For the conversion I'm using a KKM barrel. The problem I'm having is the ejection pattern sucks. So far I have tried a glock 19 mag and pretty much every combo of:

original .40 ejector and extractor
Glock 19 336 ejector and glock 19 extractor (part number unknown)

The best results seem to have come from the 336 ejector with the factory .40 extractor. But that occasionally will still send brass up over my head or even off to the left. The 336 with the glock 19 extractor was giving me the brass to the head problem :mad:

When configured as .40 I can practically catch the brass with a coffee cup on the ground it is so consistent.

I thought I recalled reading that the glock 19 never had a stellar ejection pattern to begin with. Are there any other options I can try here that you guys can think of? If I could count on it to reliably send brass sailing in the 3-5 o'clock range I would be good with that, but every now and then it does something stupid. Is it unrealistic to expect this gun to eject brass as consistent as the .40 does?

Thanks

ST911
05-12-14, 17:52
Conversions will never be as consistent or reliable, and trying to make them so can be much tail-chasing. Trade the 23 for a 19, or buy a 19 outright.

graffex
05-12-14, 18:02
You'd be hard pressed to get a stock glock these days to eject consistently :p

+1 on what Skintop said. Just get a 9mm and save yourself the trouble, maybe....

BUBBAGUNS
05-12-14, 19:23
I have a storm lake 9mm barrel in my glock 22. It is very reliable and consistent.

siegrisj
05-12-14, 20:58
I have a storm lake 9mm barrel in my glock 22. It is very reliable and consistent.

Any other mods besides the barrel?

Singlestack Wonder
05-12-14, 21:17
Consistent ejection patters are for highly tuned 1911 bullseye guns. For combat handguns they are irrevalent.

BUBBAGUNS
05-13-14, 18:20
Any other mods besides the barrel?

No. Just sights.

siegrisj
05-14-14, 12:12
In case anyone is interested, I contacted KKM and they suggested using a low recoil 15# spring.

Will report back once I get around to trying that, although I am skeptical of that solution

Stengun
05-18-14, 10:31
Howdy Skintop,

Conversions will never be as consistent or reliable, and trying to make them so can be much tail-chasing. Trade the 23 for a 19, or buy a 19 outright.

Dang Dude! Why didn't you tell me this before I fired +15,000 rounds through my G23 Gen3 with a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel without a single hiccup of any kind. I didn't realize I was wasting my time and tail-chasing.

My LW setup has been flawless and the only thing that I've changed is the barrel. Sometimes if I'm using a light hand load I'll use a well worn RSA that I've replaced for a new unit.

Paul

graffex
05-18-14, 19:36
Howdy Skintop,

Dang Dude! Why didn't you tell me this before I fired +15,000 rounds through my G23 Gen3 with a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel without a single hiccup of any kind. I didn't realize I was wasting my time and tail-chasing.

My LW setup has been flawless and the only thing that I've changed is the barrel. Sometimes if I'm using a light hand load I'll use a well worn RSA that I've replaced for a new unit.

Paul

Your sample size of one means all is well :rolleyes:

BOOSTjunkie
05-19-14, 03:56
You could also try to find and buy a G19 slide and barrel and swap that onto your frame with a 9mm ejector and use 9mm mags. Really though if I were in your situation I would just get a G19.

I had previously stippled my G23 frame and when I transitioned to 9mm didnt feel like restippling so I just swapped frames.