PDA

View Full Version : New York National Guard Glock 17's

PLCedeno
06-02-08, 13:00
I saw a very interesting thing today in Penn Station NY. The National Guard troops guarding the station all had brand new Glock 17's. Usually they carried Berettas as in Big Army. I asked one of them about it and he said the whole guard was switching over. Anyone know anything about this?

John_Wayne777
06-02-08, 13:47
The national guard switching to Glocks?

Ya. That would be a wee bit o' news.....

M4arc
06-02-08, 18:17
Can the NG do that? Can they buy whatever handgun they want?

mattjmcd
06-02-08, 20:11
Is the station a Port Authority place?

Just a WAG, but maybe the firearms are provided by whichever agency "owns"" the station..? Again, just a guess.

Saginaw79
06-02-08, 21:28
I just saw a pic of a guy in ACU that was carrying a Glock as well :confused:

ToddG
06-02-08, 21:34
There are multiple Army units which issue Glocks.

The Nat Guard thing, on the other hand, is suspicious.

sjc3081
06-03-08, 06:46
NY State Police dumped their 17s for 45 Gap. I suspect now we know what happened to the 17s.

30 cal slut
06-03-08, 08:36
Peter,

I saw the same thing recently with the NG guys at GCT. Didn't get a chance to ask them why they switched over from 92F's.

Lumpy196
06-03-08, 08:58
NY State Police dumped their 17s for 45 Gap. I suspect now we know what happened to the 17s.

Please share the source of what you just posted.

PLCedeno
06-03-08, 09:52
There are multiple Army units which issue Glocks.

The Nat Guard thing, on the other hand, is suspicious.

When you say suspicious what do you mean?

sjc3081
06-03-08, 10:00
Please share the source of what you just posted.

News

Tpr recovering from gunshot wound
6/19/2007 Back

The State Troopers PBA is thankful and relieved that Trooper Amanda Reif, who was shot in upstate New York yesterday while responding to a domestic disturbance, is recovering at a Burlington, Vt. hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening.

Reif, a nearly five-year veteran of the State Police, was shot in the shoulder by a suspect. She was able to return fire, killing the suspect. The 29-year-old Trooper is stationed at the barracks at SP Canton in Troop B.

The entire State Troopers PBA family wishes Reif the best in her recovery. The PBA is assisting Reif and her family, with PBA President Daniel M. De Federicis and other PBA representatives responding to the scene and hospital.

“In the past 15 months, the public has seen how dangerous and unpredictable the job of a New York State Trooper is, and for that matter, the job of all law enforcement officers,” said PBA First Vice President Thomas Mungeer. “New York State Troopers serve proudly and bravely and put their lives on the line every day in the name of public safety. We are thankful that Trooper Reif is alive and will recover.”

Since March 2006, the New York State Troopers have suffered the loss of six Troopers in the line of duty, including four who were killed by gunfire. Additionally, five Troopers were shot and wounded during this time period.

One of the PBA’s most important responsibilities is to fight for the safety of our members. The PBA strongly advocated for the purchase of more powerful weapons to better protect our members. In late 2006, the Division of State Police announced the purchase of Glock, model .45-GAP firearms for our members, and our members received those weapons earlier this year.

“Criminals are better armed than ever before, and the need for updated and more powerful weapons was paramount to the safety of our Troopers,” Mungeer said.

The PBA would also like to thank the following for their assistance during this

difficult time: Reif’s fellow Troopers; the Potsdam Police Department; the Burlington, Vt. Police Department; the Vermont State Police; Fletcher Allen Hospital in Burlington, Vt.; Canton-Potsdam Hospital; and New York State Police Superintendent Preston Felton.

More than 6,000 active and retired, uniformed members of the New York State Police from the rank of Trooper through the rank of Major are represented by the State Troopers PBA.

Table Border
[ Home | The PBA | Troopers at Work | In the Community | Links & Public Support | The Ultimate Sacrifice | News | Contact Us ]
link www.nystpba.org/pages/public/showPubDocDetails.asp?news_id=2942

M4arc
06-03-08, 11:05
sjc3081 - I don't think Lumpy was asking for the source of the NYSP switching to the 45GAP, I think he was asking where you came up with the statement that their old G17s went to the National Guard.

sjc3081
06-03-08, 12:25
sjc3081 - I don't think Lumpy was asking for the source of the NYSP switching to the 45GAP, I think he was asking where you came up with the statement that their old G17s went to the National Guard.

NY State Police dumped their 17s for 45 Gap. I suspect now we know what happened to the 17s. It's only a guess.

PLCedeno
06-03-08, 12:50
Peter,

I saw the same thing recently with the NG guys at GCT. Didn't get a chance to ask them why they switched over from 92F's.

Im glad someone else saw this too. GCT being Grand Central Terminal on 42nd St. This is relavent news i had to post ASAP.

williejc
06-03-08, 21:49
NY state has an outfit called the New York Guard which supplements and reinforces the NY National Guard. Maybe the governor can buy'em what he likes, or maybe Glock gave freebies. Texas has a Texas State Guard that is an all volunteer and mostly unpaid bunch who are issued National Guard hand-me-downs and cast-offs from Ft. Hood. They have shotguns available in case of WW3.

Williejc

PLCedeno
06-04-08, 05:28
NY state has an outfit called the New York Guard which supplements and reinforces the NY National Guard. Maybe the governor can buy'em what he likes, or maybe Glock gave freebies. Texas has a Texas State Guard that is an all volunteer and mostly unpaid bunch who are issued National Guard hand-me-downs and cast-offs from Ft. Hood. They have shotguns available in case of WW3.

Williejc

Nope. They were NY National Guard. I asked.

Sgt_Gold
06-04-08, 12:34
The G17's in use by State Active Duty (SAD) troops at all the NY transportation and security sights are former NYSP pistols. With the current conflict, the M9 pistol is in short supply and there aren't enough weapons to equip all the NG units that would like to have them. When the NYSP switched to the G37, the pistols became available to other state agencies\missions. Prior to the G17's becomming available, SAD troops had to carry M-16\M-4 rifles, and the state wanted a lower profile for the Soldiers working SAD.

As to the NY Guard, they are prohibited form carrying national guard weapons. When they shoot in the NY state mlitary matches they provide their own 92F or P228 pistols, and are not allowen to fire in the rifle matches. In case anyone wonders how I know this, I'm an MP in the NYARNG and am on the NY National Guard rifle and pistol team. We support a lot of the training and qualification that goes on for the SAD mission.

Dave L.
06-04-08, 12:40
The G17's in use by State Active Duty (SAD) troops at all the NY transportation and security sights are former NYSP pistols. With the current conflict, the M9 pistol is in short supply and there aren't enough weapons to equip all the NG units that would like to have them. When the NYSP switched to the G37, the pistols became available to other state agencies\missions. Prior to the G17's becomming available, SAD troops had to carry M-16\M-4 rifles, and the state wanted a lower profile for the Soldiers working SAD.

As to the NY Guard, they are prohibited form carrying national guard weapons. When they shoot in the NY state mlitary matches they provide their own 92F or P228 pistols, and are not allowen to fire in the rifle matches. In case anyone wonders how I know this, I'm an MP in the NYARNG and am on the NY National Guard rifle and pistol team. We support a lot of the training and qualification that goes on for the SAD mission.

Good for them, who would rather have an M9 anyway???

30 cal slut
06-04-08, 12:49
Prior to the G17's becomming available, SAD troops had to carry M-16\M-4 rifles, and the state wanted a lower profile for the Soldiers working SAD.

...which is hysterical, considering that you regularly see NYPD pairs running around midtown and downtown (Wall St./NYSE) with M4-s.

PLCedeno
06-04-08, 13:19

Thank you. I guess my sighting is no longer "suspicious".

30 cal slut
06-04-08, 13:27
Thank you. I guess my sighting is no longer "suspicious".

i'm always suspicious of lawyers. ;)

El Cid
06-04-08, 13:27
who would rather have an M9 anyway???

//'raises hand// :D M9 fits my hand better... has the correct grip angle for handguns...

KintlaLake
06-04-08, 13:41
The G17's in use by State Active Duty (SAD) troops at all the NY transportation and security sights are former NYSP pistols. With the current conflict, the M9 pistol is in short supply and there aren't enough weapons to equip all the NG units that would like to have them. When the NYSP switched to the G37, the pistols became available to other state agencies\missions.

That's an interesting twist on "cascading modernization."

PLCedeno
06-04-08, 14:45
i'm always suspicious of lawyers. ;)

Then be suspicious of the 2nd amendment since a group of them (35 of the 55 delegates) drafted it. Oh-29 of them served in the Continental Army. Another group has continued to protect it. I know your comment was light hearted but i needed to put that out there.

Alpha Sierra
06-04-08, 17:12
Prior to the G17's becomming available, SAD troops had to carry M-16\M-4 rifles, and the state wanted a lower profile for the Soldiers working SAD.
That's right. Can't disturb the sheeple.

The NY Guard, they are prohibited form carrying national guard weapons. When they shoot in the NY state mlitary matches they provide their own 92F or P228 pistols, and are not allowen to fire in the rifle matches.
Nice to see how Big Army (and that's what the NG is these days) shits on the real minutemen.

ToddG
06-04-08, 23:54
Sgt_Gold: Thanks for taking the time to join M4Carbine.net and share your knowledge on this very interesting issue!

Sgt_Gold
06-05-08, 00:48
NY state can arm the state guard if necessary, there just isn't a reason unless all national guard assets get deployed.

That's right. Can't disturb the sheeple.

Nice to see how Big Army (and that's what the NG is these days) shits on the real minutemen.

Cold Zero
06-05-08, 05:59
NY state can arm the state guard if necessary,

If the State Guard is not allowed to compete in Rifle matches with N.Y. N.G. Service rifles, then why would they be armed in times of natual disaster, Governor's order's , etc.? Do they receive sufficient weapons training? Sounds like a good concept, that was ruined by political correctness and politics gone awry.:confused:

Sgt_Gold
06-05-08, 09:38
In this case it's a question of law and regulation. The DOD through the active Army provides all the equipment used by the national guard. The national guard Soldiers are state employees unless activated under title 10 orders. The state guard Soldiers can't be placed on active federal duty, so they don't get to play with the equipment the feds give us. There are a few state guard units that deal with WMD's and law neforcement, but they get armed through state, not fedral channels. The only time the state guard would be called up for service in anything other than a limited capicity is if the entire Army and AirGuard was mobilized. The last time this happened was WWII.

If the State Guard is not allowed to compete in Rifle matches with N.Y. N.G. Service rifles, then why would they be armed in times of natual disaster, Governor's order's , etc.? Do they receive sufficient weapons training? Sounds like a good concept, that was ruined by political correctness and politics gone awry.:confused:

Lumpy196
06-05-08, 09:59
NY State Police dumped their 17s for 45 Gap. I suspect now we know what happened to the 17s. It's only a guess.

Be aware, this board is not like the others. We do not fill it up with unsubstantiated rumor.

DocMinster
06-05-08, 21:14

After my 10 years Active Duty I joined the NY State Guard and regs state that you are NOT allowed to even carry a pocket knife.
have NO weapons training programs.... just a very good Search and Rescue qualification .

We were activated on 9/11 and were @ ground zero... no need for weapons that is the capacity of the NY state Guard natural disaster situations.