PDA

View Full Version : 300BLK & Lil-Gun? WARNING?

Onyx Z
05-13-14, 16:59
I know there aren't too many 300BLK folks around here, but there is a thread on 300BlkTalk about the ill effects Lil-Gun has on the forcing cone of some magnum pistol revolvers. It may or may not have the same effect on rifles.

I'm not sure of the credibility of the source or the crossover effects, but here is a post from Bob Baker of Freedom Arms. I found this post on several forums, one being from Mr. Baker himself:

"We have seen numerous barrels damaged by using Lil'Gun. According to customers, some had as few as 30 rounds using Lil Gun through them, some had several hundred. Before we figured out what was happening one customer had sent his gun in for a new barrel. Then 600 rounds later it came back for another new barrel.

A couple years ago we did a test with a M83, .357 Mag. using Hornady 180 gr. bullets. We loaded 50 rds. of three different loads. One was a heavy H-110 load and the other two both used Lil Gun in different quantities.

We fired the H-110 loads first, then cut off the threaded end of the barrel. Rethreaded the barrel and shot one of the Lil Gun loads then rethreaded the barrel and shot the last Lil Gun load.

We found even the light load of Lil Gun caused the gun to get extremely hot. The heavy Lil Gun load had the gun so hot the only place we could touch the gun was on the grips and they were very hot.

Under magnification the surface appeared to have heated to a point of flowing using the Lil Gun loads and the heavy load was worse than the light load. This is probably due to Lil Gun having about 10% more nitro glycerin in it than H-110."

I have been using a Lil-Gun for about 100 rds for plinking only, but it looks like I will run H110 only until more evidence/insight is known on this problem. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's enough for me to question it.

Anyone happen to have any insight or experience with this?

Here is the thread on 300BlkTalk: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=89276

GunnutAF
05-15-14, 13:34
Nope haven't seen any problems with accuracy in my 300 Blk with Lil'gun use. It's my go to powder for it. I don't use Lil'Gun in pistols so not an issue for me. Haven't seen any damage to my barrels throat either looks just a crisp as the day I bought it. Now I don't do mag dumps either so maybe thats a factor in your shooting to consider.

eightmillimeter
05-15-14, 14:01
My circa 1985 S&W 686 has had thousands of full power loads through it before I ever started shooting "lil-gun". When I reload .357, its "lil-gun". I have seen or observed none of the effects mentioned above in a pistol that has more than served its time.

Coal Dragger
05-15-14, 16:14
I've never used Lil' Gun in my FA 83 for the reasons Bob Baker mentions, and have heard of problems encountered by others shooting other brands of big bore revolvers. Not sure why it affects revolvers in this way, but I've heard of no issues in weapons with an continuous chamber and barrel with no forcing cones to worry about.

Onyx Z
05-16-14, 17:56
I haven't really seen any problems either in my 300BLK, but I don't do mag dumps or have a borescope to check it out. Guess I will keep using it!

yellowfin
05-17-14, 21:37
Sounds like a batch variance to me, like the production run w/ the problems was hotter than usual.

Raven Armament
05-18-14, 10:06
It's an issue with revolvers, not with rifles. The burn temperature is hotter with LilGun than H110/W296. The rifle barrels are different than revolver barrels and cylinders. If the riling in a 5.56 barrel will wear out under FA fire faster than the throat erodes excessively, I wouldn't worry about LilGun in your BLK.

Raven Armament
05-18-14, 10:08
Sounds like a batch variance to me, like the production run w/ the problems was hotter than usual.
Nope. It's a well known tradeoff with LilGun. It's the powder formula, not an errant batch. It's always known to burn hotter, that's why shotgun reloaders for the .410 bore aren't using it much anymore. Scorches the hulls and ruins them.