PDA

View Full Version : S&W 340PD or S&W 360 M&P

hjmpanzr
05-13-14, 22:04
I have both of these pistols. I bought them a couple of years ago. I need to sell one. I've tended to carry the 340M&P and enjoy shooting it a bit more than the other. I think its the front sight. My main purpose is to carry concealed when my H&k is a bit too large.

However, must admit I know very little about either of these guns except they do the job I want them for (concealed carry and shots less than 10 yds). These are the only revolvers I own and have any experience with. So I'm looking for some advice. In the limited research I've done it seems that the main difference are about 2 oz, the sight, titanium on PD and my MP has a hammer. The biggest difference seems to be that the PD costs a couple hundred $$ more. Am I missing anything?

Also, I've seen the 340 PD on gunbroker, arms list, etc for pretty outrageous prices (e.g., $700-$800) used but in very good condition. Ideas on a realistic price range would be helpful.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/f54b9de7655ba85427d4350689222270_zpsf086919f.jpg

Mo_Zam_Beek
05-13-14, 22:46
I have no thoughts on pricing but I can say that for CCW a hammerless is really handy. I have had a PD since they first made them (early 2000s). I typically carry it Mexican or in my front pocket (b/c it is hammerless). I also run with it since it is so light, reliable, and safe. I added a CT laser and an Ashley Big Dot Trit FS. I find it to be a very practical CCW piece.

Good luck

ETA - if you like the FS on the MP, just swap it over to the PD

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-13-14, 23:27
Hammerless for me.

decodeddiesel
05-14-14, 00:52
That's a 360 M&P, is it not?

I will echo the hammerless sentiment. For a deep cover piece, or a BUG I personally think there's no place for a hammer.

Smash
05-14-14, 09:13
There's just something about that tritium night sight that does it for me..... ;)

hjmpanzr
05-14-14, 17:21
There's just something about that tritium night sight that does it for me..... ;)

I'm with you 100%. That's the main reason I shot and carried the 360 MP more often.

That's a 360 M&P, is it not?

Correct.

Thanks to all for the responses. Info has been very helpful. I'm persuaded. I agree that hammerless is the way to go concealed. I've almost exclusively carried these in an ankle holster instead of a pocket for the sole reason that the hammer on the 360 could get hung up. Even with an ankle holster I've thought more than once about what happens if the hammer gets hung up on something. The 340 will stay but with a new front sight.

In addition to the sight, I think the other reason I've used the 360 more is the heft. The look and heft of the 340 just seem a bit more fragile. In handling the two guns the 340 feels considerably lighter. I would have guessed about 8-10 oz. Then I put them on my heretofore accurate scale and it showed 2 oz. I thought the scale was busted until I did a little research.

As a bit of an aside, the heft is probably subconcious... younger brother took some of my dad's hot loads to shoot in my dad's 38 without permission ... dad's job for a while to pressure test firearms and had all of his cans marked but younger brother didn't know what the colors meant ... you can guess the rest.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/8bda5d377cbf662b72bdd3a3ebd8a0bb_zpseb724c4f.jpg

Photo taken upon father's death. We thought it appropriate younger brother should have the pistol.

glockmpw
07-08-14, 08:57
I prefer the tritium sight too. Not to mention the M&P series don't have the ammo restrictions you find with the PD series. +1 for omnivorosity! There are work arounds for the hammer model as well, the 360 would be my pick of the two.

Fireman1291
04-19-15, 11:28
You keep mentioning the sight. Why not just add a big dot to the 340PD? I did and now I have the best hot climate carry gun made. 340PD with Apex carry trigger spring kit, XS Big Dot sight, clip-draw and some Esmerelda grips.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/Firefighter1291/Airlinerkit_zps26a60d6b.jpg (http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/Firefighter1291/media/Airlinerkit_zps26a60d6b.jpg.html)