PDA

View Full Version : Rosch Works SLM1 - view blocked by light?

bruin
05-14-14, 12:17
I have a P2X Fury that I'd like to move into a SLM1, but I'd like to know if anyone can comment on how much of the field of view gets blocked by the light. Pics would be great if you have 'em (tough shot to get, I know).

FWIW I'm looking through an H1 on a lower 1/3 mount and I used to run a X300 at 12 o'clock. I'm fine with a similar level of obstruction; I'd like to see how the SLM1-Fury combo compares. Thanks in advance.

plouffedaddy
05-14-14, 12:26
I have a P2X Fury that I'd like to move into a SLM1, but I'd like to know if anyone can comment on how much of the field of view gets blocked by the light. Pics would be great if you have 'em (tough shot to get, I know).

FWIW I'm looking through an H1 on a lower 1/3 mount and I used to run a X300 at 12 o'clock. I'm fine with a similar level of obstruction; I'd like to see how the SLM1-Fury combo compares. Thanks in advance.

Using both eyes almost none. It's certinly goin gto be less than the X300 due to the thickness of the X300.

Here's my review of the mount/sight for those that are unfamiliar with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Kjz_wu-xQ

bruin
05-14-14, 12:34
As a matter of fact I watched your review just before posting - great work as usual! Do you mean the Fury bezel will sit lower than the X300's, or that it's not as wide as the X300 body?

Moving the light from a 10:30 mount will open the view a bit on the left, which is a plus.

TehLlama
05-14-14, 15:29
Vertically it'll be about 1mm worse than the X300, but as far as 5/7 o'clock obscuring, this will be better with the fury.
I'm running M300's at that same spot, so I'm a bit spoiled on bezel size, but the minimal obstruction is definitely why I'm hounding them about testing out an E-Series setup.

markm
05-14-14, 15:32
but the minimal obstruction is definitely why I'm hounding them about testing out an E-Series setup.

That's where it'd be at. The sucky part is that there's NO alternatives to Surefire's ridiculously priced E series bodies. :(

I've searched high and low for a rip off with an .830" body. I finally shimmed an Olight into the mount I had.

plouffedaddy
05-14-14, 18:58
Vertically it'll be about 1mm worse than the X300, but as far as 5/7 o'clock obscuring, this will be better with the fury.
I'm running M300's at that same spot, so I'm a bit spoiled on bezel size, but the minimal obstruction is definitely why I'm hounding them about testing out an E-Series setup.

Correct. That's what I meant to say :D

TehLlama
05-14-14, 23:09
That's where it'd be at. The sucky part is that there's NO alternatives to Surefire's ridiculously priced E series bodies. :(

I've searched high and low for a rip off with an .830" body. I finally shimmed an Olight into the mount I had.

Pretty much that, but for the price if I want a KX1 and Z38 tailcap, the VTAC L4 isn't that bad of a bargain.

M&P15T
05-15-14, 06:02
O.k.......I'm baffled.

Given the issues, why would one choose to mount their light at the 12 o'clock position? This all sounds like purposely creating a problem to look for an answer.

Failure2Stop
05-15-14, 08:23
O.k.......I'm baffled.

Given the issues, why would one choose to mount their light at the 12 o'clock position? This all sounds like purposely creating a problem to look for an answer.

It is, generally, the optimal placement for light and operating controls, until we can get light to project directly from the muzzle by force of will.

markm
05-15-14, 08:28
It seems that if they did go E series, you end up with a beefier unit with a more thorough sight picture... closer to actual A2 front sight shape.

M4Guru
05-15-14, 08:47
I would really like one of these mounts, but I was disappointed to see no E-Series option. That would seem like an optimal setup with the space you have to work with.

M&P15T
05-15-14, 09:15
It is, generally, the optimal placement for light and operating controls, until we can get light to project directly from the muzzle by force of will.

The Inforce WML in a 45 degree offset mount makes a lot more sense.

ffusaf23
05-15-14, 09:56
The Inforce WML in a 45 degree offset mount makes a lot more sense.

I am curious as to why you think a WML or any other light at 45 degrees makes more sense than a 12:00 mounted light.

M&P15T
05-15-14, 10:21
I am curios as to why you think a WML or any other light at 45 degrees makes more sense than a 12:00 mounted light?

Because it's not in your sight picture. Which is kind of important......same reason for no FSP. Target, dot, trigger squeeze.

MistWolf
05-15-14, 11:57
There are always trade-offs. I like the light at the 12 because it projects the shadow downward. Yes, it's in the field of view, but not as bad as a front sight and it's in the same place as the shadow anyway. As the light is mounted along the centerline, it keeps the rifle narrow

plouffedaddy
05-15-14, 12:01
I would really like one of these mounts, but I was disappointed to see no E-Series option. That would seem like an optimal setup with the space you have to work with.

They're prototyping one now.

ffusaf23
05-15-14, 12:41
I hope it doesn't take too terribly long to bring the E-series version to market. It should allow a stronger mount in addition to being more compact. I'll be trying one.

TehLlama
05-15-14, 15:43
They're prototyping one now.

I think I haven't been alone in harassing them about getting started on that, but they should be online relatively soon, and if I can get ahold of any early ones I'll toss a review up as quick as possible.

As far as why 12:00 mounting makes more sense - it's the same location strong side or support side, illuminates over barriers, works with minimalist rails without offset mounts, and doesn't interfere with 12:00 mounting of IR/Visible laser systems when using inline tube lights. The Rosch makes even more sense on compact, or weight conscious uppers because there isn't the issue of having to deconflict the front sight and the light, and ends up being a cheaper overall package. As it stands now, I could run a VTAC L4 6V w KM-2 IR/White head, and put it in a ROSCH mount for cheaper than just the M720V IR/White light from surefire, and the latter option has to go on another part of the rail because it's too tall to use up top without losing BUIS-height sight picture entirely.

Shane1
05-15-14, 17:33
"Because it's not in your sight picture."

I use a X300U at the 12 and have no problem with it being in my sight picture .

markm
05-16-14, 08:54
There are always trade-offs. I like the light at the 12 because it projects the shadow downward. Yes, it's in the field of view, but not as bad as a front sight and it's in the same place as the shadow anyway. As the light is mounted along the centerline, it keeps the rifle narrow

The whole shadow thing never bothers me at all, and I never notice it unless I make an effort to find it. Light waves bend around the muzzle pretty good. There was even a guy you mounted a TLR style light directly behind a fixed FSB, and is still was functional due to the behavior of light waves.

For me the only upside to 12 o'clock is less bulk. The overall width is better and there's less banging around and snagging on stuff. (none of my lights are 12 as there's not an acceptable option yet... but maybe this design in E series could be it.)