PDA

View Full Version : 10.5" Barrel Advice

skywalkrNCSU
05-14-14, 12:18
I am in the midst of a Sig Arm Brace pistol build that I will eventually SBR down the road and I keep going back and forth on what barrel I want and was hoping you guys could shed some light on the situation. A bit of a background, this is mainly going to be a range toy although if the SHTF this would be the rifle I would grab. It won't be my HD gun as it will stay in the safe and realistically I won't be putting thousands of rounds through it, more like hundreds per year. It's realistic main use, other than punching paper, would be accompanying me at my parents ranch to take out unwanted armadillos and whatnot that we happen to stumble upon.

That being said, the two main barrels I am considering are the Noveske 10.5" CQB and the DD 10.3" CHF. I would also consider other brands but I feel like one of these two should meet all of my needs and more as they are from top notch companies.

My uneducated line of thinking is that the Noveske would be a better choice because it would be more accurate because it is stiffer and the polygon rifling and the DD would be better if I was planning on dumping thousands of rounds through it as the CHF barrel should have a longer life, it would also be lighter. I admit I could be completely wrong on all of those assumptions, hence me asking here.

Any advice?

Dylanbg20
05-18-14, 10:29
I was in the same position 6 months ago. I ended up with a Rainier 10.5" that I couldn't be happier with. They can also go ahead and pin your gas block while they have it. I was looking more at the DD, but I think you'd be well served with either barrel.

skywalkrNCSU
05-18-14, 11:02
I was in the same position 6 months ago. I ended up with a Rainier 10.5" that I couldn't be happier with. They can also go ahead and pin your gas block while they have it. I was looking more at the DD, but I think you'd be well served with either barrel.

I was looking at the Rainier as well since I have one of their 18" barrels and really like it but I figured when you included the cost of the gas block, tube, and pinning you are basically $50 from a Noveske/DD. I am sure I wouldn't see much difference but I figure just from the reputation the Noveske or DD would be somewhat better. Anyone qualified to asses that statement?

Slvr Surfr
05-19-14, 01:47
I bought a Rainier Arms 10.5" (.223 Wylde) Match series barrel for my pistol built. I used a BCM gas block on a Aero Precision upper/lower combo. I just ran 50-60 rounds of XM193 through her w/ ZERO issues. This is strictly a toy for me as well. I am very happy with my choice of parts. I think I also spent as much as I needed to in order to have a reliable (at this point) toy as possible. This is the thread on my build https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152118-Too-close-for-comfort-Muzzle-inside-of-the-rail.

I would have loved to have my barrel pinned but I really didn't see the point and extra expense. I also prefer to be able to easily remove the gas block when needed. Red loctite is your friend if you don't want the gas block screws to back off.

DD and Noveske make excellent products, but I really wanted to build my pistol on a reasonable budget without skimping on quality components. YMMV.

The pistol really barks and throws out one hell of a flame at the range too ;)

Robb Jensen
05-19-14, 05:20
Both barrels are great it just comes down to weight. You might also consider the Noveske N4 barrels more of an apples to apples comparison to the hammer forged DD barrel.

Ops
05-28-14, 23:54
I went with a DD mk18 complete upper. just make sure you use quality parts if you plan on spending good money on a barrel

CharlieDeltaJuliet
05-29-14, 06:41
I was going to do this with a Hk MR556. I talked myself into just lightening the barrel and cutting it down to 14.7"+ pinned hider. I regret it everyday. Not that a 6lb HKMR556 is a bad thing, just the 10.4" would have been a blast...quite literally.

Voodoo_Man
05-29-14, 08:07
Noveske makes a good barrel, no issues with their products.

I went with BCM for my 10.5 and I couldnt be happier.

Koshinn
05-29-14, 08:21
Noveske makes a good barrel, no issues with their products.

I went with BCM for my 10.5 and I couldnt be happier.
I didn't think bcm made 10.5" barrels?

scooter22
05-29-14, 08:32

They don't.

Voodoo_Man
05-29-14, 08:38

You are correct I meant to type 11.5, phone messed me up and apparently deleted half my post.

Cliffs: id recommend an 11.5" over a 10.5" for various reasons, dwell time, ballistics, etc.

Koshinn
05-29-14, 08:44
You are correct I meant to type 11.5, phone messed me up and apparently deleted half my post.

Cliffs: id recommend an 11.5" over a 10.5" for various reasons, dwell time, ballistics, etc.

If dwell time and ballistics are important to you, why not get a 12.5"?

Voodoo_Man
05-29-14, 08:51

11.5 fits in a backpack easier, I know, I know, one inch isnt much, but it is.

Trajan
05-29-14, 16:28

Might as well just get a 14.5 middy at that point.

SouthPaw970
05-29-14, 16:38
I love my BCM 11.5''. Best of both worlds.

skywalkrNCSU
05-29-14, 21:07
Thanks for all the input, to say I have my mind made up could not be further from the truth. Part of me wants the accuracy of the Noveske CQB, another says the weight savings sure would be nice with a lighter barrel and I have an precision 18" gun if I want to make accuracy my main goal. I was going to put a pig on the end so I think I would rather stick with 10.5 vs 11.5 since the pig is long enough.

JG007
05-29-14, 23:05
Im going with a novekse SS barrel for my SBR, probably 12.5. Partly for the accuracy, but at least as much for the increased velocity that offsets some of the SBR negative

Voodoo_Man
05-30-14, 05:06
Thanks for all the input, to say I have my mind made up could not be further from the truth. Part of me wants the accuracy of the Noveske CQB, another says the weight savings sure would be nice with a lighter barrel and I have an precision 18" gun if I want to make accuracy my main goal. I was going to put a pig on the end so I think I would rather stick with 10.5 vs 11.5 since the pig is long enough.

Why a PIG specifically? Are you going to be doing cqb work? Id highly suggest considering the PWS CQB muzzle device. I have it on my 11.5 and its one of the best indoor muzzle devices. Also works well if you have people you are shooting around.

http://i.imgur.com/BKABopQ.jpg

skywalkrNCSU
05-30-14, 08:39
Why a PIG specifically? Are you going to be doing cqb work? Id highly suggest considering the PWS CQB muzzle device. I have it on my 11.5 and its one of the best indoor muzzle devices. Also works well if you have people you are shooting around.

http://i.imgur.com/BKABopQ.jpg

I don't have a specific need for the pig but I heard they worked well on short barrels so I went ahead and picked one up when I saw the new KX5 in stock. If I end up not liking it down the road I can definitely switch.

skywalkrNCSU
05-30-14, 19:53
Well I found the Noveske CQB in stock thanks to a member here and went ahead and pulled the trigger. I figure I can always switch it out later for a minimal loss if I end up deciding I want something else.

Or just build another upper...