PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q on crush washer

MSpera
05-14-14, 12:29
So I picked up a new/used comp and it started to get tight just slightly before the 12 o'clock position. It's stayed on there for a full mag without moving, but that isn't easing my mind about if it'll stay put or not.

So the question is, can I go almost another full turn on the crush washer without pancaking it and rendering it useless? Or should I pick up a shim kit to lessen the crushing?

markm
05-14-14, 12:34
I'd shim it and forget the crush washer. I keep a bunch of shim kits and crush washers around for this. If I remove a crush washer that wasn't mashed down much on the original install, then I'll use it again on a different project.

But generally, I don't like to use crush washers if I can avoid it. It's a soul-less way of installing a muzzle device. ;)

Hmac
05-14-14, 12:36
You only need 90 degrees of crush to supply the proper torque. You're fine as long as you don't loosen the compensator. If you do, you'll have to use another crush washer. Crush washers work fine. Shims are far more complicated than necessary.

markm
05-14-14, 12:42
Shims are far more complicated than necessary.

They can be. I've had them be super simple.... and then I've sat there and wore myself out trying to find the right one/combo.

Last device I installed was the Rainier RMR, and I just grabbed a used Crush washer for that.

KevinB
05-14-14, 12:53
Problem with Crush washers is that they suck...

Generally folks use to much torque on them, and they are an absolute no go for anything that may mount a can.

Hmac
05-14-14, 12:57

Generally folks use to much torque on them, and they are an absolute no go for anything that may mount a can.

I agree about mounting a suppressor, but I don't do that. Biggest problem with crush washers is that people don't know how to use them.

markm
05-14-14, 13:07

End of story. :)

GH41
05-14-14, 16:28
Accu-Washers if you can justify the expense! GH