PDA

View Full Version : Boomfab Titane Titanium Bolt Carrier

Jesse Tischauser
05-14-14, 15:16
Looks like the Titane just hit the market. I ordered two more. I love mine! It made a soft shooting AR15 shoot so flat I was amazed.

www.boomfab.com

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Accessories/8E4DE761-2963-433B-91EA-99A09EF8E7D6_zpsa1k3r8gu.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/jtischauser/media/Accessories/8E4DE761-2963-433B-91EA-99A09EF8E7D6_zpsa1k3r8gu.jpg.html)

FeltaDorce
05-14-14, 18:22
Hello Jesse. I am curious to know how this bolt carrier device made your "soft shooting AR15 shoot so flat" when compared with a mil spec bolt carrier.... Does it have some super special spring in it that pushes the bullet out the barrel faster than a normal part? :)

Mr blasty
05-14-14, 19:05
Do you have any affiliation with this company?

Sent from my SM-T217T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

SpankMonkey
05-14-14, 20:02
Jesse that is a lot of cheese for a carrier.

4.4oz is insane. You have to tell us more about. How many rds are you guys up to on it? Does it have a lifetime warranty?

Mr blasty
05-14-14, 20:14
What has been done to minimize the possibility of galling

el_chingoton13
05-14-14, 20:15
What is with the snarkiness and combative attitudes on this site lately?

Jesse, that looks awesome for a game gun but way out of my price range.

Mr blasty
05-14-14, 20:46
What is with the snarkiness and combative attitudes on this site lately?

Jesse, that looks awesome for a game gun but way out of my price range.

Nothing snarky in this thread. Someone comes in with a glowing review of a new wizbang part made of an Uber metal and no real info, well people are going to be skeptical and ask questions. Maybe it is the shit but people have questions first.

IndianaBoy
05-14-14, 21:47
Hello Jesse. I am curious to know how this bolt carrier device made your "soft shooting AR15 shoot so flat" when compared with a mil spec bolt carrier.... Does it have some super special spring in it that pushes the bullet out the barrel faster than a normal part? :)

By 'flat' he meant absence of recoil or sight disruption, not that the trajectory of the bullet was changed.

I haven't had a chance to handle one of these yet. Having heard about past galling issues with older titanium carriers, my mind wandered and I wondered how difficult it would be to sleeve a piece of chromed steel in there on the bearing surface with the bolt/gas rings.

I don't know the first thing about heat treating or surface treatments of titanium but I do know how incredibly soft my JP LMOS equipped rifle with adj gas shoots. For game guns, reduction of reciprocating mass is a legitimate way to improve how your rifle shoots. If this carrier proves to maintain a good service life I suspect it will be a winner.

Mr blasty
05-14-14, 22:01
By 'flat' he meant absence of recoil or sight disruption, not that the trajectory of the bullet was changed.

I haven't had a chance to handle one of these yet. Having heard about past galling issues with older titanium carriers, my mind wandered and I wondered how difficult it would be to sleeve a piece of chromed steel in there on the bearing surface with the bolt/gas rings.

I don't know the first thing about heat treating or surface treatments of titanium but I do know how incredibly soft my JP LMOS equipped rifle with adj gas shoots. For game guns, reduction of reciprocating mass is a legitimate way to improve how your rifle shoots. If this carrier proves to maintain a good service life I suspect it will be a winner.

I don't think you would have to resort to sleeving it to prevent galling. There are surface treatments and heat treatments available to help mitigate it. It just seems like to many companies don't put all the necessary thought and engineering into a part when they decide to use titanium. If they do then it could potentially be a very good part but we need more info first.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Jesse Tischauser
05-15-14, 07:50
Do you have any affiliation with this company?

I shoot 3-gun on the 3-Gun Nation Pro Series. The owner of Boomfab shot professionally with us the past 3-4 years. Myself and 4-5 other pro shooters tested the prototypes over the past 6-8 months. Some would call that a sponsorship because using the carrier I was given did result in me winning the 2013 South Eastern 3-Gun Championship, the 2013 US Carbine Association Nationals, and a $5,000 check on the 3-Gun Nation Pro Series. With that said I don't make a dime off of you buying a carrier. I'm just promoting something I believe in because it has worked very well for me.

This is exactly what I mean by flatter shooting rifle. If your not familiar with low mass reduced gas operating systems the premise is less reciprocating mass allows for less gas in the system thru an adjustable gas block. This reduces the amount if muzzle rise and felt recoil. Less muzzle rise means less sight disruption during recoil which leads to faster follow up shots.

Jesse Tischauser
05-15-14, 07:57
I don't think you would have to resort to sleeving it to prevent galling. There are surface treatments and heat treatments available to help mitigate it. It just seems like to many companies don't put all the necessary thought and engineering into a part when they decide to use titanium. If they do then it could potentially be a very good part but we need more info first.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

There are a couple of companies that are making M-16 carriers out of titanium. They cost about $300. I just ordered one to test. I'm guessing they didn't do anything special to the surface to protect against the galling issues seen previously with Ti carriers. I think Spikes is coming out with a Ti carrier that uses a steel sleeve to eliminate that galling. I doubt the Spikes carrier will be this light based on the pics I've seen on AR15.com. I'm not privy to the coating and/or heat treat that has done to this carrier to give it the desired longevity. I doubt that Boomfab will make that information public knowledge either. I have around 5-6k on my carrier and it's in good shape.

Mr blasty
05-15-14, 11:22
Thanks for clearing that up. Think you could get them on here for some Q&A? I've been interested in building a low mass system.

Jesse Tischauser
05-15-14, 11:44
Thanks for clearing that up. Think you could get them on here for some Q&A? I've been interested in building a low mass system.

If you have specific question you should email or call them. I'd be happy to tell you all I know about setting up a gun with low mass stuff. That's all I use.

Jesse Tischauser
05-26-14, 16:45
I received the production version of the Titane Carrier last week. It came it 0.3 oz lighter at 4.4 oz. The full BCG weighs in at 6.5 oz.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Accessories/IMG_1483_zpsc5734861.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/jtischauser/media/Accessories/IMG_1483_zpsc5734861.jpg.html)

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Accessories/IMG_1482_zpsd65be844.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/jtischauser/media/Accessories/IMG_1482_zpsd65be844.jpg.html)

TehLlama
05-26-14, 20:16
It's a niche item, and knowing what tool life is like in Titanium (remarkably poor) couple with material costs, that's actually a very reasonable price, just rather specialized in terms of application.

Moltke
06-03-14, 17:11
Looks like the Titane just hit the market. I ordered two more. I love mine! It made a soft shooting AR15 shoot so flat I was amazed.

www.boomfab.com

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Accessories/8E4DE761-2963-433B-91EA-99A09EF8E7D6_zpsa1k3r8gu.jpg (http://s613.photobucket.com/user/jtischauser/media/Accessories/8E4DE761-2963-433B-91EA-99A09EF8E7D6_zpsa1k3r8gu.jpg.html)

Any chance you can take some video of this?

Maybe even HIGH SPEED video for slow motion comparison?

Jesse Tischauser
06-04-14, 00:16
Any chance you can take some video of this?

Maybe even HIGH SPEED video for slow motion comparison?

I spent all my money on gold bolt carriers. I got none left for high speed cameras. I will be doing a video in the near future. By near I mean 1-6 months when I get time away from shooting matches.