PDA

View Full Version : BUIS as a primary rear sight?

SoDak
06-02-08, 14:46
My flattop needs a rear sight and instead of buying a carry handle, I was thinking of just getting a LaRue Tactical BUIS in case I wanted to put an optic on it later. I figure that since I doubt I will shoot the gun farther than 200 yards if that, the fact that the larue doesn't have elevation adjustment wouldn't be an issue. Is this a good way to go, or should I go with a carry handle.

BC520
06-02-08, 15:23
Absolutely nothing wrong with your choice if you anticipate not needing elevation adjustments in the rear sight (ala LMT BUIS). The LaRue choice will let you do anything except mount magnified optics, and if you don't see the need where you'll need a folding rear, then you're good to go!

Erick Gelhaus
06-02-08, 15:25
Whether it is a good idea or not, I'll leave up to others.

Can you do it? Yes. In Fall '04, I went through the squad designated marksman course in our pre-deployment train up. None of the optics had showed up and the instructors nixed the use of Aimpoints (M68 CCO).

So, we did the course (1 night & 5 days) with the issue MaTech BUIS. We shot 100yds-500yds throughout the course with just the BUIS. It worked, quite well actually.

ST911
06-02-08, 16:47
My flattop needs a rear sight and instead of buying a carry handle, I was thinking of just getting a LaRue Tactical BUIS in case I wanted to put an optic on it later. I figure that since I doubt I will shoot the gun farther than 200 yards if that, the fact that the larue doesn't have elevation adjustment wouldn't be an issue. Is this a good way to go, or should I go with a carry handle.

An agency not far from you spec'ed their guns with the Larue, pending determination of what RDS to buy.

A quality, viable, option.

SoDak
06-04-08, 12:37
Well, if I were looking at using a folding buis as my rear sight instead of a larue, what would you recommend? I was looking at this midwest folding sight
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MI-Rear-Sight-ERS-BUIS-p/mi%20rear%20sight%20ers.htm . I was looking at that one becuase of the price and since most dealers stock them considering I'm also looking for a railed hanguard. Or is there a better folding buis I should consider if I were reallying on this as my rear sight.

AnimalMother556
06-04-08, 12:42
The MI is a damn fine rear sight, my buddy's got one and it is well made and holds zero without a problem. We were just shooting some pretty nice 100 yard groups with it just last week. The Troy rear sight is also very nice and may be arguably the best folding rear sight on the market. It is priced just slightly above the MI rear.

Dave L.
06-04-08, 12:42
Well, if I were looking at using a folding buis as my rear sight instead of a larue, what would you recommend? I was looking at this midwest folding sight
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MI-Rear-Sight-ERS-BUIS-p/mi%20rear%20sight%20ers.htm . I was looking at that one becuase of the price and since most dealers stock them considering I'm also looking for a railed hanguard. Or is there a better folding buis I should consider if I were reallying on this as my rear sight.

Troy is pretty much the "Golden Standard". You will not be disappointed.

ST911
06-04-08, 12:49

My two issues with that one would be the elevation knob, and hex screw attachment. Neither are desirable for me, but may be fine for you.

My choice in a folding BUIS is the Troy.

Beware of wheel-spinning here. How far out of buying an optic are you? Weeks/months/a year? A folder as a primary would be fine in the short term, depending on use, but I would be disinclined to use it for a longer period or more intensive application.

I'd buy the Larue. When you're ready for something else, they're easy to get your money back out of, or mount on your next acquisition.

YVK
06-04-08, 13:41
Troy is pretty much the "Golden Standard". You will not be disappointed.

I wonder if anybody here has run Troy sights as a primary for any length of time; just looking to compare notes...

SoDak
06-04-08, 14:11
My two issues with that one would be the elevation knob, and hex screw attachment. Neither are desirable for me, but may be fine for you.

My choice in a folding BUIS is the Troy.

Beware of wheel-spinning here. How far out of buying an optic are you? Weeks/months/a year? A folder as a primary would be fine in the short term, depending on use, but I would be disinclined to use it for a longer period or more intensive application.

I'd buy the Larue. When you're ready for something else, they're easy to get your money back out of, or mount on your next acquisition.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself in terms of getting an optic really. I'm on a real tight budget here and an aimpoint is probably a longs ways out. The only reason I was looking at using a buis is that if I ever did get an optic I would already have a buis. If I bought a carry handle, I still would need to buy a buis. Would you guys say that if an optic is that far off(more than likely a year or more) I should go with a carry handle instead?

BushmasterFanBoy
06-04-08, 14:15
I see no reason to buy a carry handle, even if I were never going to own optics in a million years, the carry handle adds bulk that serves no purpose.

Buy a LaRue or Troy sight and be done with it. My preference is the Troy, as you can fold it out of the way, which lets you use magnification optics or obtain a clear FOV with 1x optics.

ST911
06-04-08, 14:23
I'm probably getting way ahead of myself in terms of getting an optic really. I'm on a real tight budget here and an aimpoint is probably a longs ways out. The only reason I was looking at using a buis is that if I ever did get an optic I would already have a buis. If I bought a carry handle, I still would need to buy a buis. Would you guys say that if an optic is that far off(more than likely a year or more) I should go with a carry handle instead?

I'd not even think about a carry handle. The sole merit of a CH is that you could find one for ~$50 in a sale forum.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but order a Larue BUIS and be done with it.

C4IGrant
06-04-08, 14:29

If you want a fixed rear, the LT is my favorite. Personally though, how not get a Troy and just leave it in the upright position. That way if you ever want to use a scope or ACOG on your AR, you are GTG.

C4

SapperRob
06-04-08, 17:17
I run the LT same-plane as the primary on one of my guns. It works fine and is a light, simple, robust, set & forget design.

Buck
06-04-08, 18:07
I use a Troy BUIS as my primary rear sight on my work carbine and have a TA01 in the factory thumbscrew mount that I only attach for 50+ yard shots… The Troy has worked very well for me as a primary rear sight and the TA01 in the factory mount returns to zero every time… I highly recommend both products…

B

SoDak
06-04-08, 19:58
Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I'll go with LaRue.