PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Gun Case

kenken
05-14-14, 18:14
Was wondering if those of you that have a Pelican case like it and how difficult is it to cut the foam. I am wanting to get a 1720 and want info before I make the purchase. Pics of yall's setup would be good too.

kenken

Eurodriver
05-14-14, 18:19
Ive had at least 10 Pelican cases issued to me. A 1700, quite a few 1720s and a 1750.

Cutting that foam is HARD. I used a sharp knife, an electric knife, and a soldering iron. Get a dedicated foam cutter, cut slowly and go undersized.

I only own one Pelican 1700 now for my SBRs. I don't even use the middle piece of foam anymore. at the rate I change weapons it doesn't make sense.

ptmccain
05-14-14, 18:23
Just keep in mind that you have to lug the beast around with you, and if all you are doing is transporting the rifle to/from range or training facility, I'd just use a soft case. Much more convenient.

I like to use my Larue Covert case and break the M4 down all the way.

I lube it up when I get it out to shoot and I'm GTG.

scottryan
05-14-14, 18:40
Don't cut the foam. Get double sided convoluted foam.

Amateurs have custom cut foam.

F-Trooper05
05-14-14, 19:09
Cutting foam is for Hollywood IMHO.

jaybirdritenour2
05-14-14, 19:25
Just get the pick and pluck foam for the Pelican. Much easier than cutting it. Comes out way nicer too. I think its like 40.00 for the foam made for your specific Pelican case. I have done it both ways and from now on its only the pick and pluck kind for me.

GotAmmo
05-14-14, 19:48
Pics of yall's setup would be good too.

kenken

There is a thread on here with a few pix of peoples set ups. nothing extravagant as the thread died out. But good luck, I had used a saw blade/bread knife to cut thru mine. But it was a pain so I sold it and went the soft case route

Ice_Pick
05-15-14, 02:00
I only use my Pelican for flying. I removed the center layer of foam, and laid my rifle on my soft case there in the middle.

Nothing shifted, even after the airline monkeys used it for frisbee practice.

jwdeeming
05-19-14, 22:42
Pelican's are good stuff. I have them as saddle bags on my dual sport motorcycle.