PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite "cheap" eyes?

Giff74
05-14-14, 23:24
I've got 3 shooters in my family and 2 more coming along that could be one day. Spending extra on disposable items is not in the budget. You say shooting glasses aren't a disposable item, then you've never had to herd a group of younger and less experienced shooters through a range trip. LOL I'm really happy to count guns and mags as they go into the bags, I just try to remind everyone to put their eyes and ears back into the same bag pouch they came out of.

So I'm OK spending more than the $5 or $8 or whatever the really cheap Remington glasses are, but I'm not spending $100+ on Oakley's or Smith. I'd be really happy if I could find decent glasses that came in clear and sun for around $25 or so.

My wife, son and daughter who may shoot this summer have normal sized heads for their ages. I on the other hand have a Wookie sized head. So if the glasses came in sizes that would be great.

Thanks for any recommendations you all have!

Giff

SOW_0331
05-14-14, 23:51
Go to the nearest Lowes or Home Depot and check out the safety glasses. A lot are much better than the $5 offerings, and come with different lenses. But they're made to be worn and used hard.

Or you could get some white Gascans. Those are like, hella awesome bro.

TehLlama
05-15-14, 01:48
Yeah, my pair of issue Gascans were the only glasses I was ever willing to replace lenses on - they still befell the expensive sunglasses curse within a few months, but those were seriously awesome. Before replacing the lenses, I wore those every day, and ran them so hard the lenses eventually became the glaucoma experience (this was a whole afghan deployment, a MEU, then two more years of garrison use where they lived unprotected in a cargo pocket alongside radio gear).
That said, if you can find a pair of safety ones, they're every bit as functional.

SOW_0331
05-15-14, 02:06
Llama, give the Spy glasses a try, particularly the "Dirk" model. I have two pairs that combined cost less than one pair of Half Jackets. They fit my face better, are more clear with polarized lenses, and they are durable. I mean, they are really crazy durable.

I have a pair of the Oakley indestructible lenses that look like an old windshield after a drive through a bee swarm. And those aren't even the ones I had on when they could have been blown up. They just didn't last for shit.

In contrast, my Spy glasses are now over a year old and don't have a single scratch on the lenses. They are lighter, don't have rubber parts that wear down and fall apart, and damn they are comfortable. Seriously worth a try, and they do have models with interchangeable lenses for day/night...

Ned Christiansen
05-15-14, 02:11
I am fortunate to live in the same town as a place called Safety Glasses USA and have become acquainted with the owner (Marine). I don't know about now but maybe five years back they were a, or the, leading distributor of one or more of the big brands of eyewear, Wiley X I think and / or Oakley. BUT, the big thing for me is they carry several other brands that don't cost you $$heartbreak when you lose or sit on them. And, as I understand it (and not claiming here to really understand it in depth), the latest "Z" ratings are not just about ballistic protection but also include an optical quality standard. I get a lot of glasses there for different applications, like hand-outs when I do classes and there is the inevitable 10% that didn't get the memo about eye protection (for them I make sure to get the NerdMax NGGaW -Never Gonna Get a Woman- model). In the shop I use a clear one with a 1.5 bifocal magnifier-- he's got them in up to 3X I think..... and the same thing is available in shades too. Life savers for us..... I mean you..... guys over 40. Most of what I'm talking about is under $8, and NerdMax notwithstanding, some fairly Rockin' styles, too.

T2C
05-15-14, 02:46
I second Ned Christiansen's opinion about Safety Glasses USA. I have a pair of their trifocal magnifiers that are excellent for range use for guys over 40 years old. The clarity of the non-magnified portion of the lenses is superior to most safety glasses I have purchased from home improvement and hardware stores over the years.

TheWaker43
05-15-14, 10:54
I picked up a couple pairs of Revision Sawflys on eBay recently, new in bag for less than $30 each. Clear and dark lens. So far they have been fine.

jbjh
05-15-14, 18:17
I like my Bombers. Bunch of styles and colors, both with and without polarization. Around $30, and you might be able to get a woman wearing them.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

kingfhb
05-15-14, 21:01
Harbor freight. $3.99

http://m.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/eye-protection/safety-glasses-smoke-98365.html

Other than that... Base model S&W at academy... I mean as long as they're rated, go for it. You could just wear sunglasses... Question is, do you want to take that chance?

I have the S&W M&P eyes that I keep for friends. I use Wiley X myself... Wear them daily even when not at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omaha419
05-17-14, 21:36
I buy Winchester brand from WalMart. They work as intended. $5 bucks.

Ice_Pick
05-17-14, 22:21
My favorites are these http://www.harborfreight.com/smoke-lens-safety-glasses-66822.html

CHEAP, and super comfortable. the ear-pieces are as thin as it gets, so they don't get in the way of your ear-pro or hat.

They do scratch pretty easy, but at that price... who cares

blade_68
05-23-14, 16:09
I've have used the H.F. cheap glasses can't complain about cost, UVX has some good ones too, not just the Army issued ones. A friend of mine has / does issue them in his training classes (non-shooting but installing electronic equipment) and to his contractors, he orders them in bulk though so larger discount. I did keep few pairs of H.F. or slip over regular glasses type in my shooting bag to give/ loan out... kind of like having spare hearing pro. Being I wear glasses or contacts I keep many sets of both including script eye pro.

jpmuscle
06-04-14, 00:19
I am fortunate to live in the same town as a place called Safety Glasses USA and have become acquainted with the owner (Marine). I don't know about now but maybe five years back they were a, or the, leading distributor of one or more of the big brands of eyewear, Wiley X I think and / or Oakley. BUT, the big thing for me is they carry several other brands that don't cost you $$heartbreak when you lose or sit on them. And, as I understand it (and not claiming here to really understand it in depth), the latest "Z" ratings are not just about ballistic protection but also include an optical quality standard. I get a lot of glasses there for different applications, like hand-outs when I do classes and there is the inevitable 10% that didn't get the memo about eye protection (for them I make sure to get the NerdMax NGGaW -Never Gonna Get a Woman- model). In the shop I use a clear one with a 1.5 bifocal magnifier-- he's got them in up to 3X I think..... and the same thing is available in shades too. Life savers for us..... I mean you..... guys over 40. Most of what I'm talking about is under $8, and NerdMax notwithstanding, some fairly Rockin' styles, too.

I generally only order from here since they have great pricing.

I'm very fond of the Jackson nemesis models personally. Surprisingly rugged.

http://m.safetyglassesusa.com/allsafe-nemesis.html

And idk if these are the same as the aforementioned but they look pretty dang identical.

http://m.safetyglassesusa.com/bouton-anser.html

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

bigrobbierob
06-13-14, 00:43
I've been rocking these as everyday sunglasses and shooting glasses. They work pretty damn well in the AZ sun. Plus I took some nail polish remover to the 3M logo after I bought them. Got mine at Home Depot for $10.

http://m.safetyglassesusa.com/11215.html

dth4lf
06-13-14, 22:15
I generally only order from here since they have great pricing.

I'm very fond of the Jackson nemesis models personally. Surprisingly rugged.

http://m.safetyglassesusa.com/allsafe-nemesis.html

Thanks for that recommendation. I ordered two pair.

They'll have to do until I decide to pony up the dough for a set of Oakleys

rocsteady
07-22-14, 15:23
I didn't see many people saying if their particular choices were actually capable of protecting their eyes, only if they were scratch resistant. Read an article where a guy was shooting the glasses with birdshot to test their actual ability to perform the main function of shooting eyewear, safety. After reading it I bought a pair of $80 Smith Optics ARCs:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/#more-738

vizsla
07-22-14, 21:09
I watched the Lucky Gunner article that rocsteady has linked. I wear prescription glasses and probably should get prescription safety glasses. But I got these from amazon and they work good and are not expensive. They fit over my prescription glasses. Probably won't work if you are using big lenses in you prescription glasses. They also meet MIL-PRF-31013 which is more resistant to impact than ANSI Z87.1as show in the Lucky Gunner video. I also got a pair of regular safety glasses that meet MIL-PRF-31013 at a good price from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZNTN8U/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HWE1II/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HES
07-22-14, 21:51
Just curious, and maybe I'm missing it, but what are you guys finding in safety glasses that have the best clarity

jpmuscle
07-22-14, 22:54
Just curious, and maybe I'm missing it, but what are you guys finding in safety glasses that have the best clarity
As in they have better clarity over higher end glasses or what models within the cheap safety glass realm have good clarity for being safety glasses?

steyrman13
07-22-14, 23:23
Harbor freight. $3.99

http://m.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/eye-protection/safety-glasses-smoke-98365.html

Other than that... Base model S&W at academy... I mean as long as they're rated, go for it. You could just wear sunglasses... Question is, do you want to take that chance?

I have the S&W M&P eyes that I keep for friends. I use Wiley X myself... Wear them daily even when not at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably some of the worst advice. this is your Vision we are talking about protecting. As demonstrated in the luckygunner article below, not sound advice. Wearing glasses that aren't properly made can jack up your vision and cause headaches from straining. Along with not protecting your eyes from light rays and ballistics.

I wonder why they didn't test the Oakley ballistic M frames that are what most glasses are issued for eye pro beside some of the new sawfly and revision and goggles?

HES
07-23-14, 00:10
As in they have better clarity over higher end glasses or what models within the cheap safety glass realm have good clarity for being safety glasses?

Good question. Both?

ptmccain
07-23-14, 09:47
Sawfly Revision...nuff said.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk