PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Launches a New Series in the American Line

Tokarev
05-15-14, 17:28
http://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

Note the threaded muzzle and the section of Picatinny rail atop the receiver. I'm particularly pleased to see the 1x8 twist on the .223 Remington.

I played with an American in 30-06 a few years ago. While I generally have a hard time getting too excited about a rather pedestrian hunting rifle, the gun shot surprisingly well. I think the platform really shows some serious potential.

Quick Draw
05-15-14, 20:44
At street prices this should be a good value and sell well in the entry level rifle market. If I did not have bolt guns in several calibers I might buy one.

Tokarev
05-15-14, 21:20
Personally I'm hoping Ruger puts a 300BLK in this line. They don't have anything available that I'm aware of in that caliber. They're making pistols with threaded barrels so it would only make sense they'd eventually do something in a bolt gun.

Maybe eventually we'll see a factory piston AR SBR or a pistol that can be Form 1'ed.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Quick Draw
05-15-14, 21:53
Personally I'm hoping Ruger puts a 300BLK in this line. They don't have anything available that I'm aware of in that caliber. They're making pistols with threaded barrels so it would only make sense they'd eventually do something in a bolt gun.

Maybe eventually we'll see a factory piston AR SBR or a pistol that can be

300 Blk would be a great addition and a hog hammer for sure.

I find myself intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore since I don't have one.

Tokarev
05-15-14, 22:40
I find myself intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore since I don't have one.

Me, too. But I think I'd rather have something that took an AI magazine.

CRAMBONE
05-16-14, 02:54
I just wish the retards would bring back some of, 96-22m for one, the items they have cut back into production.

wingspar
05-17-14, 19:24
Gunblast.com just did a video on this gun in .223. He even shot it with a can in the video. Nice looking rifle. Very tempting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uQaXt1wQxA

Tokarev
05-17-14, 19:36
I've got one on the way. Will have to get some 1" rings for my Redfield scope since I'm afraid my ADM QD mount will put the scope too high for best use.

Tokarev
05-20-14, 20:15
So here it is. I haven't shot it yet but I've got it ready to go. I just wish I had a better selection of target 223 ammo on hand.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/21/3evu6udu.jpg

Quick Draw
05-20-14, 20:45
Thanks Tokarev. It looks bad to the bone with the can. Hope you can give us a range report soon.

If you shoot any hand loads have about giving us the load data including C.O.L. I know my bolts guns all have their own personality concerning seating depth.

Eurodriver
05-21-14, 07:29
I'm very interested in accuracy reports. This would be a great starter 308 for my AAC762

bigghoss
05-23-14, 01:44
That .308 makes me hot and bothered.

jstone
05-25-14, 02:45
Tokarev I tried to pm you but your box is full. I looked through what I have for factory ammo and I don't have anything in 69 that is not loaded by me. I do have some bha blue box moly 77 matchkings. Along with some hornady TAP For Prarie Dogs that are 55 vmaxs I could send.

If you reload I could send you some nosler 69 custom competition's that you could load. That way you have a good range of ammo to test. Get back to me if you need the ammo and I will send it to you.

I would like to see how this performs.

Tokarev
05-25-14, 08:43
Thanks for the offer to provide test ammo. I appreciate it.

I actually took the rifle out yesterday morning and fired a couple different loads through it. I started with a few rounds of 55gr Tula to get it on paper then switched to some Hornady 68gr BTHP hand loads loaded with 2520. I also tried some Speer 64gr Gold Dot and some Fiocchi loaded with 77gr Matchkings.

Of course the Tula was the worst of the bunch with groups at 2.5" or so. This wasn't much of a surprise. I was disappointed with the Hornady handload as it didn't seem to want to shoot better than about 1.5" or so. Actually I don't think I've ever had very good accuracy with the 68gr bullet in any of the rifles I've tried it in. The Speer shot pretty well and I had one 3rd group measure about .75." Last up was the 77gr stuff. The gun really seemed to like this load and I put three rounds into about half an inch with this stuff.

Next I ran some ammo through the gun with my AAC suppressor attached. The can didn't seem to have any detrimental impact on accuracy but it did shift the point of impact and everything shot a couple inches low.

Lastly, I moved to 200yds and tried the 77gr stuff one more time. I shot three rounds right at two inches. I finished off the day with a few rounds of the Gold Dot with the suppressor. These were so low that I had two rounds just nick the bottom edge of the target. The other two rounds went too low to mark the cardboard. Obvisously I will have to develop a specific set of come up's on my scope if I plan on continued suppressed use.

Overall the gun seems like it wants to shoot. The trigger is crisp and I haven't tried any adjustments on it yet.

After the range I went to the local sporting goods store and picked up a box of FGGM 69gr and another of 77gr. I also got a box of Hornady Superformance 75gr and a box of Winchester match loaded with 69gr Matchkings. I also picked up a box of 50gr VMAX bullets, a box of 70gr Berger VLD's and a box of Sierra 80gr BTHP. When I have a bit of time I'll see if I can't work up a few loads. Powder is limited but I should have something that'll help us get an idea of what the new rifle will do with the light varmint bullets and the heavy match stuff.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Tokarev
05-25-14, 09:57
77gr group @ 100yds

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/a3u5eqa7.jpg

Tokarev
05-25-14, 10:01
200yd group with Fiocchi 77gr match.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/9e6a3uqu.jpg

jstone
05-25-14, 12:58
Thanks for the info. I have never been able to get the hornady 68 or 75 to shoot well in anything.

Tokarev
05-25-14, 16:20
Thanks for the info. I have never been able to get the hornady 68 or 75 to shoot well in anything.

I have not messed with Hornady's 75gr much at all but I have tried the 68gr in several AR's. Some shoot it okay but it has not proven to be anything other than so-so in my experience. Makes me wonder why I keep messing with it. :confused:

jstone
05-25-14, 20:59
I still have a box of 75s. I kept trying and one day I decided using matchkings and custom competitions was so much easier. I just left them alone. Eventually I will just load them hot and stash them away for hd.

Tokarev
05-29-14, 07:09
I still haven't gotten around to loading any of the new bullets I just bought. I was hoping to have at least a few rounds loaded for this coming weekend. Hopefully I can at least find the time to load a handful of the 80gr Matchkings before Saturday. I'm predicting great things from that bullet...

jstone
05-31-14, 16:06
The 80 grain match kings are great. I hope sierra releases the new 77 tipped match king that black hills is loading. It has a .420 bc which is the same as the 80 mk. The 75 grain a max is also another great lr 224 bullet.

Tokarev
06-08-14, 12:03
I've loaded up just a handful of the 80's with 8208 powder. Sierra's data sets the OAL at 2.55" but the cartridge won't chamber this long. I seated them to 2.44" which allows the bolt to close easily.

M67A2 Zippo Tank
06-08-14, 18:59
I wish they'd make a .357 magnum Mini-14 that used thirty round magazines, too.

Tokarev
06-08-14, 19:08

Pistol caliber carbines never seem to do very well in the marketplace. Also, I can't imagine how they'd ever get 30 rounds of rimmed .357 Magnum to stack in a magazine.

KLR
07-13-14, 19:50
I'd like to see the 223 version chambered in 5.56. Then a guy could afford to practice with mil spec ammo.

MattHallman
08-04-14, 12:54
I order one in .223 today. Has anyone had anything negative to say about the rifles? I found one video talking about forend flex. They said the newer ones have a steel bar in the forend to help stiffen it up. Not sure if that is true or not.

Hadoken
09-15-14, 12:05
Well, for those wishing for a .300 BLK or a 5.56 version, Ruger announced today the Ruger American Rifle Ranch with a 16.1" threaded barrel, FDE stock and comes in 5.56 and 300BLK

I can't tell from what ruger released if it is the heavier profile barrel of the Predator, or the standard Ruger American rifle barrel. Retail is $489
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

Tokarev
09-15-14, 12:16
I happened to see the new 300BLK Ranch Rifle last week. The gun should be a hit. 1x7 twist, detachable box magazine, 5/8-24 threaded 16" barrel. Retail of $489 is right there with the rest of the Americans so actual store price should be quite a bit lower.

Hadoken
09-15-14, 12:18
Could you tell if the barrel was the heavier profile as found on the Predator version or just the standard barrel? I think there is only 0.1" of difference at the muzzle so so its probably hard to tell without actually measuring.

Tokarev
09-15-14, 12:24
Could you tell if the barrel was the heavier profile as found on the Predator version or just the standard barrel? I think there is only 0.1" of difference at the muzzle so so its probably hard to tell without actually measuring.
Just off the top of my head I'm going to say the barrel is the same profile as that of the Predator but at a reduced length.

Frankly, I assume the Ranch in .223 will easily outsell the 22" Predator. I don't think anyone who's looking for a bolt gun to suppress and/or run a flash hider on is looking for a 22" pipe.

mark5pt56
09-17-14, 05:16
I happened to see the new 300BLK Ranch Rifle last week. The gun should be a hit. 1x7 twist, detachable box magazine, 5/8-24 threaded 16" barrel. Retail of $489 is right there with the rest of the Americans so actual store price should be quite a bit lower.

States rotary mag, which is fine. See how well it works out, looks great. I hope they make it in 6.8 one day.

Tokarev
09-17-14, 06:23

States rotary mag, which is fine. See how well it works out, looks great. I hope they make it in 6.8 one day.
I don't think we'll see anything in 6.8. Ruger took a beating over the SAAMI chamber in the SR556 and isn't too interested in going down that road again.

Tokarev
09-17-14, 07:04
Here's Jeff Quinn's nice little review:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanRR.htm

brickboy240
09-17-14, 15:41
I want the 5.56mm one with the 16" barrel. Would make a handy truck/ATV knockabout gun.

My brother bought a Ruger American in 243 when they first came out and after he dropped a 3x9x40 Nikon on the thing - I zeroed it in for him.

With Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips....I had no troubles keeping a 1" group at 100yds. The damn thing shot well and the bolt cycled fast. The magazine was easy to load and if you are familiar with the rotary 10-22 mags...they are very similar. It would have been cool if Ruger HAD made this rifle to accept AR mags but I have never wished my bolt gun had 30 rounds and the rotary mag does work very well.

For the money...these things are a real steal if you ask me.

-brickboy240

mark5pt56
09-18-14, 05:36
I don't think we'll see anything in 6.8. Ruger took a beating over the SAAMI chamber in the SR556 and isn't too interested in going down that road again.

They just have to get with the program, looks like their latest trend may lead them that way?

Tokarev
09-18-14, 07:29
They just have to get with the program, looks like their latest trend may lead them that way?
Well, unless one of the wildcat 6.8 chambers gets SAAMI approval, Ruger will stick with the original Remington chamber.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 6.8 and think a Ranch or Scout would be a fun little rifle but I think Ruger took such a beating over the SAAMI chamber that they got out of the game entirely. They don't make the Mini-14 or the SR556 in 6.8 anymore. Maybe things will change in the future but I don't have too much hope.

On the other hand, I hear Alexander Arms is up for sale. Maybe Ruger will buy intellectual rights to the 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf.

nate89
09-18-14, 08:31
I want the 5.56mm one with the 16" barrel. Would make a handy truck/ATV knockabout gun.

My brother bought a Ruger American in 243 when they first came out and after he dropped a 3x9x40 Nikon on the thing - I zeroed it in for him.

With Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips....I had no troubles keeping a 1" group at 100yds. The damn thing shot well and the bolt cycled fast. The magazine was easy to load and if you are familiar with the rotary 10-22 mags...they are very similar. It would have been cool if Ruger HAD made this rifle to accept AR mags but I have never wished my bolt gun had 30 rounds and the rotary mag does work very well.

For the money...these things are a real steal if you ask me.

-brickboy240

I had the same experience with an American Rifle in .30/06. Doing an initial sight in we both got groups right about 1" with a generic 3-9 scope (I forgot the make). I think you get a lot of rifle for the money.

jpgm
09-18-14, 10:52
Nate89 and brickboy240,
When you guys shot these groups, was it a 5 shot group? I'm just curious about the accuracy with a hot barrel. So far Ruger has a winner.

jpgm

mark5pt56
09-19-14, 05:33
Well, unless one of the wildcat 6.8 chambers gets SAAMI approval, Ruger will stick with the original Remington chamber.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 6.8 and think a Ranch or Scout would be a fun little rifle but I think Ruger took such a beating over the SAAMI chamber that they got out of the game entirely. They don't make the Mini-14 or the SR556 in 6.8 anymore. Maybe things will change in the future but I don't have too much hope.

On the other hand, I hear Alexander Arms is up for sale. Maybe Ruger will buy intellectual rights to the 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf.

Interesting, kind of like the "offspring" are being put up for adoption.

ptmccain
09-19-14, 06:18
You have to hand it to Ruger for their market research and coming out with various editions of their lines of firearms. Just good business.

J-Dub
09-19-14, 07:30
Hmmmmmm I see a new Coyote rig in my future......

Ruger Predator American + Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 + surefire mini can = sweetness

brickboy240
09-19-14, 12:17
When I zeroed in my brother's 243 Ruger American....I just mounted his 3x9x40 scope, borsighted it and put 4 in the mag and shot a group. So I guess it was a 4 shot group! LOL

Shot it from a bench with my 12" Harris bi-pod on the front sling stud.

Seriously...the first 4 shots out of the bore-sighted 243 American was about an inch across and 2" high at 100yds. I waited and dialed it down to where it was hitting about an inch high at 100yds and called it good. For fun after sighting it in....I took some Winchester 100gr Power Point Wal Mart ammo that I had for my old 243 Savage 99 and ran some through the Ruger American and the groups really did not open up much more. They hit a little higher but still a respectable group for cheapo Wal Mart ammo!

Yeah...I think Ruger has a real winner on its hands with this rifle. For the money....the damn thing shoots really well.

-brickboy240

jmnielsen
09-19-14, 13:49

That would be awesome. Been wanting a 6.8 bolt gun.

Dirty_H
09-19-14, 14:06
I have one in 308 and it is a very good shooter. One of these shorter versions in .223 is interesting....

Tokarev
11-13-14, 22:10
It looks like the 300BLK might finally be shipping. I've got my fingers crossed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452837684

EBAM1A
11-17-14, 21:07
It looks like the 300BLK might finally be shipping. I've got my fingers crossed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452837684

I bought one from this seller last week for $399. Just impatiently waiting for it to ship to my FFl for pickup.

Tokarev
11-19-14, 06:45
A user on TOS just got his. He's posted a few photos over there. And a few others are saying they have rifles ordered through dealers.

I've had one on order through my dealer since the model was announced but he hasn't received anything yet...:(

EBAM1A
11-29-14, 15:12
I picked up my Ruger American Ranch in .300 blackout on Wednesday. I had a Pride Fowler Evolution BLK that I bought last year that I put on it. I just have to get to the range to try it out now.
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34/EBAM1A/e706e0e4-60fe-44e7-9a39-931e8458f075_zpsedf7df55.jpg (http://s631.photobucket.com/user/EBAM1A/media/e706e0e4-60fe-44e7-9a39-931e8458f075_zpsedf7df55.jpg.html)

Dirty_H
11-29-14, 18:46
Looks sweet. Can't wait for the range report.

Bayern
11-29-14, 19:14
http://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

Note the threaded muzzle and the section of Picatinny rail atop the receiver. I'm particularly pleased to see the 1x8 twist on the .223 Remington.

I played with an American in 30-06 a few years ago. While I generally have a hard time getting too excited about a rather pedestrian hunting rifle, the gun shot surprisingly well. I think the platform really shows some serious potential.

The 30-06 is arguably THE best all-round hunting rifle round made. I have a Winchester in this round and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's probably more versitale then most anything else.

platoonDaddy
12-10-14, 15:35
What is the draw to bolt action 300BLK in 16.12" barrel vs an AR 16.5"

Tokarev
12-10-14, 18:19
What is the draw to bolt action 300BLK in 16.12" barrel vs an AR 16.5"
Less expensive. No mag block or chopped mag for hunting (state specific). No functional concerns for subs unsuppressed, etc.

nate89
12-10-14, 23:57
They are also quieter--no action moving or noise coming out of the action.

platoonDaddy
12-17-14, 04:40
Friend received his .300 BLK and did a show & tell at the range yesterday. Didn't have a chance to shoot-it, friggin rain like a cow pissing on a rock. The three lug-blot is interesting, the 1st lift is to about 70 degrees and the 2nd opens the bolt. For sure it doesn't feel natural to someone who is use to shorter actions. Even my Win 70 action is shorter than the Ruger.

akm4guy
01-31-15, 22:45
Any updates on these Ranch 300 BLK rifles? The local store has them for $389 and I've been thinking about getting one lately. Also, who is reloading this cartridge? Favorite loads? Hunting loads?

en4cer
02-27-15, 11:58
Friend received his .300 BLK and did a show & tell at the range yesterday. Didn't have a chance to shoot-it, friggin rain like a cow pissing on a rock. The three lug-blot is interesting, the 1st lift is to about 70 degrees and the 2nd opens the bolt. For sure it doesn't feel natural to someone who is use to shorter actions. Even my Win 70 action is shorter than the Ruger.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to purchase a ranch 300blk. A buddy and I both purchased the rifle off of GB last week. Mine came in this week and no problems. Got it dressed out with the Nikon 2x7 with the 300blk bdc reticle. However, my buddy picked his up today and after checking the gun out we realized it was not correct. It was chambered .223. Serial # and box both marked 300blk but barrel was .223. Called the seller and they said they'd already had 4 calls from buyers with the same issue. Moral of the story is have the seller open the box and check before shipping, or put your hands on it at LGS before buying to verify. I couldn't find any locally, hence the GB purchase.

FishTaco
05-28-15, 19:25

Wouldn't that be half the fun of 7.62 X 39 at the same price or more?

pcauwels
05-28-15, 20:52
Picked one up at our LGS for $350.

Any extended magazine options available?
Doesn't look like Ruger is offering anything but the stock 5 rounder.

FishTaco
06-12-15, 17:37
Would it really be all that useful or helpful to have a 10 rounder in a Bolt gun?