PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch barrel with AAC SDN-6 = too awkward?

Prairie Patriot
05-15-14, 18:16
My Search Fu may be weak, so if this has been discussed prior, then I apologize in advance (or if this shouldn't be in this forum). I have a SDN-6 from AAC with paperwork in and I'm wondering if anyone here is running this silencer on their 16 inch uppers? Does anyone with experience handling this combination find the carbine to be so unwieldy or front heavy that they would recommend just going down the path of a SBR? The can weighs almost 20 oz and adds another 6 inches overall length. I can imagine it, but I've never had my hands on it. Keep in mind that I probably wouldn't use this as a home defense rifle so the only reason I'm even considering SBR is if it's just unacceptably unwieldy/front heavy.

I know this is probably subjective, but I'd like some feedback. It will go into my decision on whether or not to SBR a lower eventually.

TIA

Kill By Number
05-15-14, 18:37
SBR all the time every time! Unless you are setting up a Rifle to run mostly prone there is no better way to spend $200

Kill By Number
05-15-14, 18:47
SDN-6 with 10.5" 300 BLK SBR.

308sako
05-15-14, 21:28

Even a reflex mounted suppressor like this AAC SPR-M4 on a 16" Armalite can make for an imbalanced feel.

So I spent the extra $200 and SBR'd a lower... best tax stamp for functional use there is. IMHO

Here's a picture from today 5/16/14 of my SBR with AAC SPR-M4 same can as other pic... 11.5 BCM barrel

MegademiC
05-15-14, 23:22
how does the handling of a 16" + sdn compare to a gvt 20" gun?

Dave_M
05-16-14, 00:05
I generally don't like to use cans on guns that don't fall into at least one of these categories:
-SBR
-Shot from a bench or bipod
-.22lr (and then only with a dedicated .22lr can)

Makes them too long, unbalanced, and cumbersome.

TehLlama
05-16-14, 01:34
Suppressors weight more per unit of OAL than even .gov contour barrel, so they're still going to be comparatively heavier.

I've put a fair bit of thought and cost into a suppressed 16" setup, and settled on only the OPS M4S being useful in that configuration (a 4.5" Reflex can under 14oz), and really only as a signature/concussion reduction device on a light precision rifle than true suppressor as far as a truly handy rifle.

On something that is just a suppressor host the weight isn't awful; for that suppressed carbine to have more uses, the weight becomes an issue AFTER adding a variable powered optic, weaponlight, and maybe IR capability that finishes making it a really nose-heavy rifle. If it's primarily a bench gun, or will see only range use, then go ahead and run a long host, but to really get the best out of the can, double stamp is the answer.

markm
05-16-14, 08:39
how does the handling of a 16" + sdn compare to a gvt 20" gun?

The can on the 16 would be Much worse. A govt profile 20 is pretty fluffy to me. My m4-1000 on a 14.5 inch barrel was way worse than a govt 20".

For positional target shooting, a long barrel and can are enjoyable. Anything involving moving around or a lot of off hand is where it starts to suck. I used to run my m4-1000 on an HBAR. Now that was a musket from hell. ;)

K1tt3n5
05-16-14, 09:03
It's not pleasant. I have an sdn6 on my 14.5 government and it's very usable, but I can't say I enjoy it an sbr would be nice.

revrogue
05-16-14, 15:42
My range buddy has an sdn-6 on a 16" upper that I've handled and shot a fair bit. It's long, relatively heavy, and the weight is way out there. I'm not a fan. I run a sf mini, and even that small can is significantly better handling on an sbr than a 16" carbine. I'd go sbr if I were you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quiet Riot
05-16-14, 19:54
I have an SDN-6 and run it occasionally on a 16" 5.56 upper and on a 16" Noveske 300BLK upper, and it is less than ideal. It's fantastic on my 8" 300BLK SBR, and I'm sure it will be fine on my 11.5" BCM BFH upper (I haven't swapped comps yet). However, you will not regret SBR-ing at least one of your lowers. It opens up a whole world of uppers that are currently unavailable to you.