PDA

View Full Version : rimfire traing pistol

Clay34
05-15-14, 18:20
I would like a rimfire pistol that is closer to a concealed carry type of pistol instead of my target gun. I have an older High Standard target gun that is just sweet, but not what I need for my current needs. No, I don't want to sell it, just need another rimfire handgun.

I shoot a G34 in matches and carry a G19. My question is what would you suggest? I'm considering rimfires like a M&P22, a SR22 or the newer PPQ M2 22. These stand alone guns are very reasonably priced. Wished they made a Glock rimfire.

The other option that I am considering is something like an Advantage Arms 22 conversion. I have two G19s, I could run one with the conversion kit and the other in 9 and it would be an exact copy but in rimfire. I'm currently running drills with the AR with a CMMG conversion kit and am very please with practicing manipulations this way. It's dry fire that goes bang - super cool!

So, something like a PPQ M2 in rimfire or a conversion kit. The reason the PPQ is on the short list: it has no manual safety, just like the G19 has no manual safety. Is there anything else that I should consider? Thanks for your thoughts.

Up1911fan
05-15-14, 20:07
AA kit. You can pick up an extra frame on gunbroker and have a dedicated rimfire trainer. I did this with a G17.

lunchbox
05-15-14, 20:10
You answered your own ?. If you have two G19s then 22lr conv kit might be safe bet.

fixit69
05-15-14, 20:15
You answered your own ?. If you have two G19s then 22lr conv kit might be safe bet.

This. What you are wanting is really only achievable with kits.

Or are you wanting somthing else?

Quick Draw
05-15-14, 20:37
You may even consider a revolver such as the Ruger LCR in .22 LR or .22 mag. Reliable and concealable.

SeriousStudent
05-15-14, 23:05
I had good luck buying a used G19 frame on Gunbroker, then buying an used AA kit here to match. I think I was out about $400 for the whole thing.

Clay34
05-16-14, 06:55
You may even consider a revolver such as the Ruger LCR in .22 LR or .22 mag. Reliable and concealable.
While revolvers are great pieces, I'm really looking for something that I can do similar manipulations with in rimfire to my centerfire carry guns. It's just going to be a dedicated trainer not something for me to carry. It will also be used to introduce new shooters to semi-auto handguns then the step up to centerfire will be a smoother one.

AA kit. You can pick up an extra frame on gunbroker and have a dedicated rimfire trainer. I did this with a G17. I was really leaning toward the newer PPQ since it didn't have a safety and I thought it was more Glock like. Better for my application. I never even thought about this approach, but it seems perfect for what I want to do. Exact same grip and exact same trigger not kind of similar but exactly the same. Thanks for the push in the right direction all.

JonInWA
05-16-14, 10:08
While it may seem counter-intuitive, I've been using a Ruger 4.5" barrelled 22/45 as the rimfire trainer pistol for my 1911, Hi Power, and Glock training regimen. The 4.5" slab-sided barrel balances superbly, and the length is a good trade-off for all of these pistols, whose length ranges from 4" - 5." I've addded Pierce Grip's rubber fingergroove piece. which adds grippability, girth, and somewhat also mimics the Glock pistols' fingergrooved frontstraps.

The 22/45 is superbly accurate and reliable-and just plain fun to shoot. I prefer it to any of the after-market replacement upper alternatives, which seem to be a bit hot-or-miss in terms of functioning.

Best, Jon

jaxman7
05-16-14, 13:20
While revolvers are great pieces, I'm really looking for something that I can do similar manipulations with in rimfire to my centerfire carry guns. It's just going to be a dedicated trainer not something for me to carry. It will also be used to introduce new shooters to semi-auto handguns then the step up to centerfire will be a smoother one.

I was really leaning toward the newer PPQ since it didn't have a safety and I thought it was more Glock like. Better for my application. I never even thought about this approach, but it seems perfect for what I want to do. Exact same grip and exact same trigger not kind of similar but exactly the same. Thanks for the push in the right direction all.

As the most important aspect of shooting a handgun is the trigger I'd opt for a conversion kit and use the same trigger on the Glock as the rimfire. Plus it will just feel familiar being it is the exact same shape and grip angle. Another big plus is the holster will fit both guns.

-Jax

wahoo95
05-16-14, 18:08
I recommend the Conversion kits as well so you have more consistency

I shoot M&P's so I went with the M&P22, however I removed the safety. So that it functions like my center fire pistols.

Ken Grant
05-16-14, 19:33
A BIG YES on conversion kits !!!!!!!!!! :D

G19/23---- 2 AA Kits

G21-------- AA Kit

G26/27-----AA Kit

G30-------- AA Kit

1911------- AA Kit & Ciener Kit

AR15------- Ciener Kit & M261 Military Kit

RD62
05-17-14, 14:45
I bought a complete G17 frame and a Tac-sol .22 conversion kit. Its been 100% reliable with Blaser and Remington Golden Bullet. I've added a Vickers mag catch and slide release as well as a 3.5lb connector and NY-1 trigger return spring just like my other Glocks. It fits in my Glock holsters too. I couldn't be more happy with it.

Azpilot
05-17-14, 18:30
Just stay with what you've got. Cheaper, more plentiful ammo.

...seriously

Stengun
05-18-14, 09:23
Howdy,

Back when is was shooting IDPA with my Glock 23 I was shooting about 1,000rds a week and to lower my reloading time I bought a 9mm conversion barrel because steel cased 9mm ammo was $3.96/box. Then I bought a used Ceiner .22 kit because .22LR was cheaper than 9mm.

That was back in '07 and I still shoot it weekly especially since the cheapest 9mm is $13/box.

I also bought 2 Ceiner kits for my ARs from the same guy. I've fired +30,000rds through the Glock and another +15,000rds through a couple of ARs.

Buy a .22LR kit because everything will be the same except for the recoil.

Paul

Clay34
05-18-14, 22:48
Just stay with what you've got. Cheaper, more plentiful ammo.

...seriously I have plenty of 9 mm ammo but rimfire is much less expensive. I also currently have plenty of rimifre ammo available. If you want to call me a hoarder, it's OK. I have plenty when some do not.

Howdy,

Back when is was shooting IDPA with my Glock 23 I was shooting about 1,000rds a week and to lower my reloading time I bought a 9mm conversion barrel because steel cased 9mm ammo was $3.96/box. Then I bought a used Ceiner .22 kit because .22LR was cheaper than 9mm.

That was back in '07 and I still shoot it weekly especially since the cheapest 9mm is $13/box.

I also bought 2 Ceiner kits for my ARs from the same guy. I've fired +30,000rds through the Glock and another +15,000rds through a couple of ARs.

Buy a .22LR kit because everything will be the same except for the recoil.

Paul

I use to get 9mm Blazer ammo delivered for $105 per thousand in 2006. I shot 15,000 of 9mm in 2006 between IDPA and USPSA.

I already own two G34's. Tonight I bought my 3rd G34. It's just a frame which came with two mags off of Gun B. Anyone one wants that damn cable lock that it comes with can have it for the cost of shipping. I usually throw those away.
Anyhow, I already own two Gen 3 G34's. so this third G34 Gen 3 will fit right in. Maybe should have bought a Gen 4 G19 frame to match the two that I have but the price was right on this one and it's a done deal.

Now I need mags for this things and a AA 22 conversion upper. What's a GOOD price on a AA 22 conversion upper for the Gen 3 frame?

This project is starting to come together thanks to the help from my M4Carbine friends.

While I have a few rounds of 9 mm ammo stashed away, I think that this project will save me money.

Clay34
05-21-14, 18:00
Just finalized another Gun Broker deal for an Advantage Arms rimfire upper to fit the 34 lower. The deal included 3 mags for the AA upper kit. Looking forward to getting all of the pieces and having everything run smoothly. This thing cost me almost as much as buying a new G19 when it's all said and done, but I will get what I want and not something "kind of like" what I want.

Range report coming.