PDA

View Full Version : MSR stove indoors

tb-av
05-16-14, 14:03
What are the dangers, if any of using an MSR type stove indoors with canister fuel?

I would never bring gasoline in my home and unlikely "white gas" in a sealed bottle but what about those fuel canisters? Would they burn cleanly enough to not be concerned about CO exposure? I figured they would be more like a gas cooktop... as opposed to bringing something like a kerosene heater indoors which I know is a no go.

For instance if you were in your home but needed to keep windows shut.

SeriousStudent
05-16-14, 18:45
See also: Carbon monoxide poisoning.

http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

What do the instruction on the stove say about operating it in enclosed spaces?

tb-av
05-16-14, 19:47
Oh the owners manual definitely says for outdoor use only. I'm sure the lawyers would have it no other way. But I see guys on tv with stoves in a tent, and people buy sterno, burn oil lamps and all manner of other things in a home. I was just wondering if that butane/propane canister mix was safe enough. Like I said, I would never consider those other fuels. It seems from what I read that a good blue flame is burning CO and creating CO2. ... and poor yellow/orange combustion creates CO.

DiabhailGadhar
06-29-14, 06:07
Well I think the real question here is WHY? Those are intended for outdoor use. Or maybe in your tent, which in comparison to an actual house is extremely breathable....I just wouldn't do it...unless your stove is broke and you do it next to an open window..with a fan.

tb-av
06-29-14, 10:00
Well my thought was, what if the electric goes out, it's very cold out and you just want to warm something. So I got to wondering how different is it from a gas cooktop? It seems like it should be ok in moderation.... and thus the 'why' would be if it's truly no different than an oil lamp or cooktop, why not.

DiabhailGadhar
06-29-14, 10:32
Well yeah if you have no other option then obviously yes is your answer..freezing to death or coping with a minimal amount of CO2 is a no brainer.

tb-av
06-29-14, 11:00
I wasn't exactly thinking do or die. I was simply looking for some perspective. Their relation to items we routinely use indoors. Oil lamp, gas range, candles, etc... IOW... I simply don't know. Are they similar? Or is there something about them that places them more extreme.... for instance if I tried to use gasoline in it... I obviously would -never- do that unless it was indeed do or die.... OR... it it really no more of an issue than lighting an oil lamp and sitting near it while you smoke a cigar indoors.... which someone might do with little thought to CO build up. So what I wondered is it truly a danger of greater proportions.

It looks like I can make a cup of coffee with one of these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotery-Gas-Burner-Stove-Ceramic-Head-for-Turkish-Coffee-etc-/121364992767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c41ead2ff
but I shouldn't boil water with an MSR.

So I suppose my question really should have been.... Are these MSR type stoves functionally and considerably different in the manner in which they create CO as compared to other devices we routinely use indoors. So far, I have not been able to find anything that says 'yes'.

Granted safety first, always... but I also like to know what I'm dealing with so I can realistically and reasonably apply safety.

jstone
08-30-14, 00:04
Many people may call me stupid but I have used the msr pocket rocket indoors. My electric stove went out in my small apartment, and I used my pocket rocket to cook for about a week. Land lord was very slow to replace the stove.

Im not saying it is safe, or I didn't loose any brain cells from using it indoors. I am still here and would have no problems doing it again, especially in an emergency situation.

thopkins22
08-30-14, 00:50
Totally fine. I cook in my vestibule all the time, with no ill effects, and your house is presumably ventilated well enough with a lot more volume than my tent.

Just be smart about what surface you set it on and don't do it on carpet or something silly. People cook on gas stoves for hours at a time, have unvented pilot lights burning 24/7, and have dozens of people breathing in their homes(AT THE SAME TIME) and don't expire. I can't foresee using common sense and still having a problem.

I'm not saying to do it in your smart car with the windows rolled up and the AC off...and don't pack yourself into your coat closet and seal the door up to boil some water....but your house isn't really an enclosed space in the sense that you need to worry about a one burner iso/pro backpacking stove.

replacement
09-04-14, 20:13
how many people have used white gas lanterns inside a cabin or wall tent? I have and they put out a lot of heat that can help you or hurt you depending on your situation. Certainly having some fresh air is always a good thing. If your space has a draft you are most likely good to go. just my opinion, of course.

3 AE
09-05-14, 19:51
Some info on CO poisoning. If you must use a camp stove to cook, at least get a battery powered CO detector(s).

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/consumer/09939.html

Berserkr556
09-11-14, 12:13
Ventilation is your friend. Open a window or two a little bit and you should be fine. Last year it snowed pretty good in my AO and the power went out. I used my coleman stove to cook and a couple coleman lanterns for light. I just opened a couple of windows a bit even though it was -10 without the wind.

HNT2EAT
12-07-15, 09:40
Circulation of the good with the bad will save you. Don't be in such a confined space or run it too long and you 'should' be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk