PDA

View Full Version : Any California LEO's here? Question!!

C4LT1
05-16-14, 17:14
I'm a retired 20 year military vet.
Yep... first post even though I've been on the site for some time.

Here's my situation.
Prior to owning a Colt LE6920MP, I lived in San Diego, CA.

My wife and I relocated to PA in 97. Recently, she has been suggesting moving back to Cali.
According to the research I've conducted, my M4 would be illegal in Cali yet I've seen similar "Cali legal" Colt M4's that can be legally owned in the state.

What is the difference between the M4 I currently own and the "so called Cali legal" ones?
Is it the fact that my current M4 has a 30 round mag?
If not the mag... then exactly what is the difference?
Curious minds want to know!!

The ironic part of all of this is that I lived in San Diego for 20 years and it was the gang banger idiots, among other factors, that convinced us to leave.
The likeness was... watching cock roaches move from area to area.

Believe this.... those "cock roaches" could care less about the legality of any firearm!!
Yet on the opposite end of the scope is a retired military veteran asking....

"Exactly what is it about my firearm that is so contrary to California law?"
Especially when said "Veteran" fully understands the Rules of Engagement?

Totally lost here so I would appreciate any and all feedback!!

Cliff

Lopro619
05-16-14, 17:37
It's ridiculous, but the only difference other than the mag lock would be the roll mark. Unless you have the 6920-ca roll marked lower, your lower will be on the prohibited list.

Head over to Calguns.net for further clarification on Cali laws.

wahoo95
05-16-14, 17:46

^Rb
05-16-14, 18:14
What does the roll mark on your Colt LE6920MP say (specifically) ??

Here, in Kalifornistan, the powers that be ban AR15-style firearms based on their roll mark. (Many of us have "off-list" lower receivers, or complete firearms, which by name, are not outright banned by CA laws)

Colt 6920's are in fact legal to own in California (assuming you follow the stupid rules regarding installing a 'bullet button' and magazine capacity). If your Colt says "AR-15" on the roll mark or "6920 LEO only", it's a no-go. If it says "M4 Carbine" (which is what's on the 6920CA model), it's OK. Crazy, confusing, and outright stupid ... trust me, we know.

Here are some additional resources that can help:

CA "assault weapons flow chart": http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Pics (from G&R) of a California-compliant Colt 6920 (along with a 7-page discussion on the matter): https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?92511-New-Colt-SP6920CA-is-now-out!

EDIT:

I just re-read and saw this part:

Recently, she has been suggesting moving back to Cali.

My honest advice to you and your lovely wife: don't.

This place absolutely sucks.

^Rb
05-16-14, 18:15
Edit: delete double-tap

TexanInCali
05-16-14, 20:19
My honest advice to you and your lovely wife: don't.

This place absolutely sucks.

Agreed! I've had it with California's parasitic, corrupt state government. We're moving back to Texas. I'm done paying crazy taxes to feed everyone with their hands out. The only thing I get in return are awful local services and ridiculous laws.

MistWolf
05-16-14, 20:26
California is an expensive place to live and the laws have gotten pretty crazy. Housing, groceries and utilities are expensive as is registering your vehicle. They also have crazy strict smog laws I grew up in Cali at a time it was a great place to grow up but the politics are not fit for man nor beast. Move to Yuma Az and go visit San Diego on the weekends

Lopro619
05-16-14, 20:46
California is an expensive place to live and the laws have gotten pretty crazy. Housing, groceries and utilities are expensive as is registering your vehicle. They also have crazy strict smog laws I grew up in Cali at a time it was a great place to grow up but the politics are not fit for man nor beast. Move to Yuma Az and go visit San Diego on the weekends

7 hour round trip to visit SD on the weekends? Yikes.

C4LT1
05-16-14, 20:46
It's ridiculous, but the only difference other than the mag lock would be the roll mark. Unless you have the 6920-ca roll marked lower, your lower will be on the prohibited list.

Any possibility you have a pic of this "roll mark" so I know exactly what I'm looking for?

To others... I totally agree... the taxes, auto registration, etc. are insane.
Funny someone should mention Yuma, Az because that's an option we've discussed.

Lopro619
05-16-14, 20:48
Any possibility you have a pic of this "roll mark" so I know exactly what I'm looking for?

To others... I totally agree... the taxes, auto registration, etc. are insane.
Funny someone should mention Yuma, Az because that's an option we've discussed.

Here's the flow chart. Check appendix A&B. See if your model is in there. Can you take a picture of YOUR roll mark and post it?

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html

C4LT1
05-16-14, 20:59
Here's my lower..

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:03
Here's the flow chart. Check appendix A&B. See if your model is in there. Can you take a picture of YOUR roll mark and post it?

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html

Flowchart??? LOL.. No disrespect intended but just glancing at that chart made my head hurt. WTF??

I'll take some time and go through it but not today.
I'm still thinking... WTF?? Seems like they definitely want things to be "obscure".

Lopro619
05-16-14, 21:06
Flowchart??? LOL.. No disrespect intended but just glancing at that chart made my head hurt. WTF??

I'll take some time and go through it but not today.
I'm still thinking... WTF?? Seems like they definitely want things to be "obscure".

No disrespect to me lol, it's just the california laws. According to your roll mark I am 99% positive that you are good to go if you install a bullet button. The flow chart is basically saying you can't have an SBR, can't have a detachable magazine etc.

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:14
No disrespect to me lol, it's just the california laws. According to your roll mark I am 99% positive that you are good to go if you install a bullet button. The flow chart is basically saying you can't have an SBR, can't have a detachable magazine etc.

Thanks for the quick reply but.... WTF is a bullet button??

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:18
Also... what is considered to be a "detachable magazine"?
Press my mag release... it drops out.. insert new one. So this is really confusing.

I'm also pretty sure my 30 rnd mag would also be "off limits".

Not to mention the fact of going out in my back yard and shooting when I feel like it!!

^Rb
05-16-14, 21:20
Here's my lower..

Good news: You're damn lucky. That lower is NOT banned by name, and thus, is legal to possess in California. (The retards in office banned "AR-15" and "6920", but not "M4 Carbine" LOL!)

Bad news: Your wife still wants to move to California.

Thanks for the quick reply but.... WTF is a bullet button??

http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-ar15-bullet-button.aspx

Methods of obtaining particular styles of firearms similar to assault weapons have been achieved by design changes by gun parts manufacturers to allow a person to obtain a style of rifle used in sport shooting and competitions. One of the most common modifications is a "bullet button", which modifies a rifle so that the magazine is not removable without the use of a tool (a bullet was defined as a tool per state law), which presses a button that a finger alone cannot press. Weapons with this feature no longer have a "detachable magazine" within the assault weapons definition, and therefore may be exempt depending on the other requirements. As certain portions of firearms (the lower receiver, or "lower" for short, which is legally considered to be the firearm) are banned by model name under California state law, multiple requirements are made to allow a rifle to comply under state law.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California#Bullet_button

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:35
Good news: You're damn lucky. That lower is NOT banned by name, and thus, is legal to possess in California. (The retards in office banned "AR-15" and "6920", but not "M4 Carbine" LOL!)

Bad news: Your wife still wants to move to California.

That's her idea.... mine is still a definite no but we all know how that works!!

http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-ar15-bullet-button.aspx

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California#Bullet_button

The only thing this damn bullet button does is make it inconvenient for legal law abiding citizens.
Case in point... while I lived in SD I had an opportunity to buy a full auto Uzi and "almost" did.
Once I actually looking at it and really thought about it... I decided not to buy it.

The price was not prohibitive and definitely less than what I paid for my "legal" M4.

Lopro619
05-16-14, 21:38
The only thing this damn bullet button does is make it inconvenient for legal law abiding citizens.
Case in point... while I lived in SD I had an opportunity to buy a full auto Uzi and "almost" did.
Once I actually looking at it and really thought about it... I decided not to buy it.

The price was not prohibitive and definitely less than what I paid for my "legal" M4.

When was this? In the early 80's?

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:41
Thanks to all for the quick replies... and Cali education!!

I have to admit... I do love San Diego... Cali in general (aside from the cock roach gang bangers) but I'm really not sure I want to go back.
But... these winters here in PA are beyond old and seem to be getting longer and colder.

Can anyone say... cake and eat it too??
SUX

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:42
When was this? In the early 80's?

Some time around... 95 - 96

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:45

Make no mistake... it would not have been a "legal" purchase!!

Just someone I ran into selling an Uzi for $450.

Lopro619
05-16-14, 21:45

Oh i see. I thought the full automatic weapons ban went down in 86, and the Assault Weapons Ban here in 94. Just read the last part lol, didn't realize it was black-market. hah

LoveAR
05-16-14, 21:47
If it was me...I would go to Texas instead.

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:50
If in fact I do go West again... it will be Arizona or Texas.

Lopro619
05-16-14, 21:51
We have the best weather, the beaches and some of the prettiest woman in the world here in San Diego. Don't forget our outstanding mexican food. But CA politics voids all the good.

C4LT1
05-16-14, 21:54
You had to go there didn't you?? "Prettiest women in the world" lol.

Truth be told... I stole one of those "pretty women" and moved her to PA LOL.

And yes... Mexican food. In my younger "stupid days" I would drive across the border into TJ for a night on the town.

C4LT1
05-16-14, 22:17
Wait... re-read this whole post again.

My lower indicates it would be legal in Cali.
But... does this mean I would need to install a bullet button or change to a lower capacity mag?

fdxpilot
05-16-14, 23:19
We have the best weather, the beaches and some of the prettiest woman in the world here in San Diego. Don't forget our outstanding mexican food. But CA politics voids all the good.

Born and raised there. The beaches are pretty, but cold. Nice weather, but not enough to make up for politics, taxes, gun regs, auto smog regs, idiot left wingers, wild fires, mudslides. As for women, once you've got a good one, the others are superfluous. As for Mexican food, my favorite San Diego Mexican places have such log lines that you can't get in. Given the huge Mexican immigration, legal or otherwise, you can get good Mexican almost anywhere.

Sold the last California property several years ago, and am currently looking at Gulf-coast properties to get my beach fix.

Lopro619
05-16-14, 23:38

Wait... re-read this whole post again.

My lower indicates it would be legal in Cali.
But... does this mean I would need to install a bullet button or change to a lower capacity mag?

You would need both. Read that flow chart brother. It will answer every single question you have. It looks complicated at first glance, but it's not.

JoshNC
05-17-14, 08:25
OP, I strongly recommend against moving back to CA. I spent a year in Palo Alto from 7/12 to 7/13 for work. I brought a bullet buttoned AR, bullet buttoned LaRue 762 OBR, Glock 17, and ten round mags for everything. The rest of my collection went into storage in NC. Weather and scenery notwithstanding, CA is a terrible place to live. It is expensive, overrun with liberals, hostile to gun owners, impossible (in most cases) to get a concealed carry permit, overcrowded (with atrocious traffic), absurdly high taxes (and recently voted for higher taxes), a large population of the free sh&t army, and with gang activity everywhere.

I counted the days until I could return to a free state. I will never again live in a state that does not allow title-2 firearms and standard capacity mags.

Lopro619
05-17-14, 08:53
OP, I strongly recommend against moving back to CA. I spent a year in Palo Alto from 7/12 to 7/13 for work. I brought a bullet buttoned AR, bullet buttoned LaRue 762 OBR, Glock 17, and ten round mags for everything. The rest of my collection went into storage in NC. Weather and scenery notwithstanding, CA is a terrible place to live. It is expensive, overrun with liberals, hostile to gun owners, impossible (in most cases) to get a concealed carry permit, overcrowded (with atrocious traffic), absurdly high taxes (and recently voted for higher taxes), a large population of the free sh&t army, and with gang activity everywhere.

I counted the days until I could return to a free state. I will never again live in a state that does not allow title-2 firearms and standard capacity mags.

He's already lived in Cali, I think he's hip to the game.

JoshNC
05-17-14, 11:30
He's already lived in Cali, I think he's hip to the game.

Thanks I understand that. He has not lived in CA since '97....my intent was to remind him that CA sucks.

Plasman
05-17-14, 11:49
Don't forget that CA has mandatory registration on ALL firearms now. Before this year it was just on pistols. When you move here you'll have to go to the CA DOJ's website, download, and fill out this (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?) application, declare ALL firearms (with make, model, and serial #), and send it in along with the $19 fee. If you have more than three firearms to declare you'll need to use multiple copies of the app (but I'm not sure if you need to pay $19 per copy or just $19 for each transaction).

Amur
05-17-14, 16:23
Can someone clarify this for me.

If you have a:
1) bullet button
2) 10 rnd mag
3) rifle not specifically named as an assault rifle

Then you can legally have:
1) flash hiders
2) collapsible stocks

Thanks
Amurr

Burnit7
05-17-14, 17:00
Can someone clarify this for me.

If you have a:
1) bullet button
2) 10 rnd mag
3) rifle not specifically named as an assault rifle

Then you can legally have:
1) flash hiders
2) collapsible stocks

Thanks
Amurr

Correct. Also you can have pistol and forward pistol grips. And bayonet lugs , if desired.

There's also the featureless route where you give those features up in exchange for the normal / ambi mag releases. Can be awkward depending on grip used but you can use 30 rd mags but only if you owned them in ca prior to the ban.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2