PDA

View Full Version : Handguard & Verticle Grip Question

az_outlaw
05-16-14, 21:47
Hello all,

So I have discovered that I shoot my ARs better without a vertical grip by just holding on to the handguards. My AR is equipped with a Daniel Defense free float rail, which can get hot after many rounds.

For those of you who do not use a vertical grip, how do you deal with the heat? I see a lot of people use gloves....can anyone recommend any good ones or links?

masakari
05-16-14, 21:51
Rail covers. I like LaRue index clips. Magpul enhanced XTMs are good to go as well.
For gloves, I like mechanix. They are cheap and very well made.

az_outlaw
05-16-14, 21:54
Rail covers. I like LaRue index clips. Magpul enhanced XTMs are good to go as well.

Thanks! Do you find the Magpul XTMs to stop the heat transfer to your hands? I will check out your suggestion, thanks.

Liftrat
05-17-14, 11:56
Like you, I did better without the VFG. A compromise that I find works well for me is Magpul's AFG or AFG2. There is still some heat transfer to the ends of the digits, but gloves have become standard equipment for anything besides bench work for me.

M&P15T
05-17-14, 12:09
A third option, is to use a VFG as an ad hoc AFG, by nestling your hand in the area where the rail and VFG meet, and throwing your thumb up and over. Then you have a combo of VFG, AFG, and a thumb-over grip.

Jellybean
05-17-14, 13:35

This.
I have used the standard XTMs and Larue clips- either will work fine.
I prefer the XTMs for their solid attachment (I have popped off a larue clip) , but the Larue clips may be a better choice if you have things attached to your rail that gives you odd spacing.
I used to have both the XTMs and Clips on my rail, however I currently use the XTM panels on the sides to help "fatten" the rail for my big hands, with Magpul Ladders top and bottom to keep things slim and square. Works great.

Frankly, I've never even bothered to worry about heat. I usually wear gloves (mechanix for me too), and I'd have to run an awful lot of rounds through the gun real fast for it to be an issue barehanded, especially with the XTM panels on there.

masakari
05-17-14, 19:39
Thanks! Do you find the Magpul XTMs to stop the heat transfer to your hands? I will check out your suggestion, thanks.
Yeah, larue clips allow a good amount of heat through, but EXTMs shield you very well