PDA

View Full Version : Grip suggestion for larger hands?

AlphaRed
05-18-14, 01:11
Hey guys, new to the forums, but lurked for quite awhile. Finally put together my first AR build last week and took it to the range. I noticed the standard a2 grip seems a little insignificant in my hand.

I'm 6'4" and have bigger hands. Any suggestions on a replacement grip? I tried searching the forums but didn't come up with many answers.

TexanInCali
05-18-14, 01:44
I'm a big ape as well and like a larger volume grip. I tried a few on friends' builds, but didn't find anything just right and ended up getting the BCM Mod 2 grip with changeable backstraps. The grip is already wider than an A2 style and has a more comfortable angle. The switchable backstraps really allow you to get it right. It has built in storage cap as well, so you can store batteries or whatnot inside the grip.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-s-Grip-GFG-Mod-2-Black-p/bcm-gfg-mod-2-black.htm

You might also check out the Magpul MIAD grips, which are also size adjustable.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MIAD-Pistol-Grip-p/mag050%20black.htm

Ergo also makes some interesting grips. Some people love them, so hate them.
http://ergogrips.net/products/ergo-rifle-grips.html

Pappabear
05-18-14, 03:44
I love the Magpul Miad's. I have shot the new BCM and I didn't notice it bothering me. It felt good.

I notice / appreciate the miad when manipulating the gun. More beef more control.

djegators
05-18-14, 08:01
In addition to those mentioned above, I suggest you try the large Tango Down grip, one of my favorites.

Jellybean
05-18-14, 08:46
.... I noticed the standard a2 grip seems a little insignificant in my hand.

I totally agree- first thing I ditched on my rifle.
Now, I don't know how big your hands are, but I have pretty large hands (for reference, I can wrap my hand completely around a rail with XTM panels on the sides with my fingers still meeting at the top), and a standard MOE grip works fine for me.

However, the BCM grips look real nice....

Onyx Z
05-18-14, 10:17
MIAD with the fattest straps.

Dylanbg20
05-18-14, 10:25
I'm a big ape as well and like a larger volume grip. I tried a few on friends' builds, but didn't find anything just right and ended up getting the BCM Mod 2 grip with changeable backstraps. The grip is already wider than an A2 style and has a more comfortable angle. The switchable backstraps really allow you to get it right. It has built in storage cap as well, so you can store batteries or whatnot inside the grip.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-s-Grip-GFG-Mod-2-Black-p/bcm-gfg-mod-2-black.htm

You might also check out the Magpul MIAD grips, which are also size adjustable.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MIAD-Pistol-Grip-p/mag050%20black.htm

Ergo also makes some interesting grips. Some people love them, so hate them.
http://ergogrips.net/products/ergo-rifle-grips.html

+1 for the BCM

graffex
05-18-14, 13:18
Not a big guy at 5' 10" 195 but I got big XL mits myself and I have the BCM grip, not sure exactly which one. It feels fantastic.

Edit: Mine is the mod 3 gunfighter grip.

Maddmax
05-18-14, 13:53
Thanks for the Ergo link. I'm wondering if those will fit on the Colt 901-16S. It has a larger lower and "normal" grips are too small. I too like larger grips.

Amur
05-18-14, 14:04
As a fellow large handed I have found 3 grips that work depending on what othe factors you like:

1) MIAD
2) BCM mod 2
3) Stark SE (I actually love this grip)

chef8489
05-18-14, 14:35
I really like the bcm mod 3, but if you need adjustable back strap then the mod 2.

Arkansas Bob
05-18-14, 14:53
I'm really liking the magpul K2.

Amur
05-18-14, 14:59
I really see no reason for the BCM mod 3 (I know it Came out first)

The mod 2 is the same width but can be longer front to back with the latge back strap. So for big hands the mod 2 would potenitally be better than the mod 3

Zirk208
05-18-14, 18:51
In addition to those mentioned above, I suggest you try the large Tango Down grip, one of my favorites.

+1, I think it's the BG-17 model.

SiGfever
05-18-14, 19:15
I have the Ergo Deluxe which fits my hands better than other grips that I have tried. I also like the rubbery texture for a more tactile, less slippery feeling.

AlphaRed
05-18-14, 19:34
Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea of the modular grips so I can try some different combinations and find the right fit for me. I went ahead and ordered the BCM Mod 2 after looking into all the recommendations. I do like the sounds of the Ergo, though, due to that tackier surface.

I will report back after a couple days once my Mod 2 comes in.

GMP
05-18-14, 21:28

The mod 2 is the same width but can be longer front to back with the latge back strap. So for big hands the mod 2 would potenitally be better than the mod 3

That was my thought process too...

ST911
05-18-14, 21:36
Big hand here. I use MOEs or MIADs with medium inserts.

mastiffhound
05-18-14, 21:41
I'm really liking the magpul K2.

+1. I love mine also. Way better than the regular K that was just too small for my hands. The MOE K2 is my favorite, I also like the BCM Mod 3.

TexanInCali
05-19-14, 13:55

It was simply because the Mod 3 was easier and quicker to get to market due the added complexity of the Mod 2. Still, agreed that it makes no sense to buy a Mod 3.

graffex
05-19-14, 14:23
It was simply because the Mod 3 was easier and quicker to get to market due the added complexity of the Mod 2. Still, agreed that it makes no sense to buy a Mod 3.

That depends on how you look at it. The mod 3 fits my hand perfectly, I have no need for the adjustable mod 2, nor the extra complexity when the mod 3 fits the bill at a cheaper price point.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac using Tapatalk

chef8489
05-19-14, 14:51
That depends on how you look at it. The mod 3 fits my hand perfectly, I have no need for the adjustable mod 2, nor the extra complexity when the mod 3 fits the bill at a cheaper price point.

Sent from my Motorola StarTac using Tapatalk

+1 I agree. If it fits why bother with the chance of a part coming loose if a 1 piece would fit. Now if you needed the choice of different backstraps then that is a different story.

trinydex
05-19-14, 15:18
there's the accu-grip if you're really picky.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPI9R0-_5TE

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/daniel-zimmerman/new-from-accu-grip-adjustable-ar-and-ak-grips/

www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/.../accu-grip-adjustable-ar-ak-grips

www.accu-grip.net

marZ1
05-19-14, 15:21
MIAD with the fattest straps.

I found this the best solution. Tried the BCM and they just didn't work for me at the time. Also look at the Ergo tactical (http://ergogrips.net/products/ergo-rifle-grips/ergo-tactical-deluxe-grip.html). My brother uses it cause he has huge hands.

TexanInCali
05-19-14, 15:41

This is all true if buyer has a chance to try both in person or has owned one before. However, a lot of us have to buy some parts online without ever getting a chance to try them in person in a LGS

In my case, I'd tried Mod 0 & 1 before on other people's builds. I knew I wanted something like it, but bigger. Given that situation, it made more sense to buy the adjustable Mod 2.

So if someone knows the Mod 3 will work for them, then they should buy it. For those that aren't sure, which is likely many first time buyers, the Mod 2 is a better option.

TexanInCali
05-19-14, 15:44
+1 I agree. If it fits why bother with the chance of a part coming loose if a 1 piece would fit. Now if you needed the choice of different backstraps then that is a different story.

Mod 3 is a more simple design, but the Mod 2 attachments mount very well. I don't see those backstraps ever coming loose. Still, if you know Mod 3 fits your hand, it is a little cheaper, I think.

TexanInCali
05-19-14, 15:49
there's the accu-grip if you're really picky.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPI9R0-_5TE

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/daniel-zimmerman/new-from-accu-grip-adjustable-ar-and-ak-grips/

www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/.../accu-grip-adjustable-ar-ak-grips

www.accu-grip.net

That looks very interesting. To be honest, my BCM Mod 2 works well, but is still a hair small.

However, upon viewing the way it mounts and adjusts, I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Do you have one of these? If so, is the mounting system solid? Any problems with the gap between the grip and lower receiver?

South
05-19-14, 17:05

Fordtough25
05-20-14, 07:18
I am also 6'4" and I run Magpul MOE's on all mine. They feel great!

AlphaRed
05-31-14, 12:05
Update from original post: So I received the BCM Mod 2 and set it up with the #3 backstrap, giving me the largest surface area possible. This definitely fits my hand better, so I am happy with the purchase. It mounts solid and I have zero concerns about the interchangeable pieces moving on me. This is well designed and fits my Spikes tactical lower very well.

With that being said, I still feel like I could use a little bit bigger grip. I think I will keep this for awhile though and keep my eyes peeled for a deal on an Ergo to try it out. Thanks to all those who made suggestions. Great forum.

philipeggo
06-01-14, 15:55
I know they are not held in the highest regard here but the MAKO AGR43 is fairly large and rubberized. It feels very solid in the hand and has a storage compartment. I just threw one on my rifle and really dig it. Not a huge fan of these overly vertical grips.

Update from original post: So I received the BCM Mod 2 and set it up with the #3 backstrap, giving me the largest surface area possible. This definitely fits my hand better, so I am happy with the purchase. It mounts solid and I have zero concerns about the interchangeable pieces moving on me. This is well designed and fits my Spikes tactical lower very well.

With that being said, I still feel like I could use a little bit bigger grip. I think I will keep this for awhile though and keep my eyes peeled for a deal on an Ergo to try it out. Thanks to all those who made suggestions. Great forum.

fixit69
06-01-14, 18:06
I know I'm not your size, but I wear an xl glove. As many have said thin MIAD with the inserts offer a lot of flexabity. And for some reason the Tango down works too. Good luck.

BGREID
06-02-14, 10:08
Try BCM's gunfighter mod 2 or 3, these are my favorite and I wear XL gloves.