PDA

View Full Version : Kac lpr bolt lock back issue

PNorris
05-18-14, 09:24
Finally got my lpr to the range. Fantastic gun. I had no issues with bolt lock back with Pmc 5.56 55 grain, however, the Pmc .223 55 grain caused 2 failures to lock back the bolt. Once with a pmag and once with a lancer. Otherwise gun was perfect. Is this just an underpowered ammo issue. Thoughts? I tend to shoot lots of Pmc .223.

03scgt
05-18-14, 10:03
why buy a 18" stainless kreiger barreled rifle to shoot bulk,weak,inaccurate ammo? it was designed around match ammo with higher pressures.Its just an underpowered ammo issue

I shot around 80 rounds of pmc bronze through mine to test function when I first bought it and everything was fine.I wouldnt be surprised if I were to try the same thing today and it started not locking back with the same ammo.

bp7178
05-18-14, 10:53
This thread should be titled "crap ammo in expensive guns and the results".

Identify the issue for what it is and move forward.

PNorris
05-18-14, 11:32
This thread should be titled "crap ammo in expensive guns and the results".

Identify the issue for what it is and move forward.
Wow, I didn't realize I could only shoot match ammo or be shunned. The lock back issues were my thought to. Sorry, I will only now shoot match ammo dipped in unicorn blood.

scoutfsu99
05-18-14, 12:25
Why would you not shoot quality ammunition in a rifle like an LPR? 03scgt gave you the answer in the first post.

PNorris
05-18-14, 13:23
I do shoot good stuff and will, however, not exclusively match ammo. Hopefully the issue will not repeat with ammo such as fgmm for example. The point of the thread is to see if any others have lock back issues with Pmc .223.

graffex
05-18-14, 13:30
Nevermind...

bp7178
05-18-14, 15:15
Everyone who has ever shot PMC has probably had lock back issues.

It doesn't have the reputation it does because its been dipped in unicorn blood and can stay supersonic past 1000 yards.

Its cheap plinking ammo.

TehLlama
05-18-14, 17:49
There are reasons to run cheap ammo through nice guns - if you're running drills at short range, but want to run them with your nice rifle, go for it. That said, for not much more money you can get better ammunition that runs higher pressure and therefore will cycle it better, and be useful fallback ammunition (Magtech, IMI come to mind). It's not precision stuff either, but it'll definitely cycle KAC guns that are designed to be smooth with higher pressure stuff.

The ammo is the source, and it's on the threshold of what runs - but it works for running drills, especially if you don't mind having the odd malfunction as part of those drills.

mastiffhound
05-19-14, 02:49
I won't buy anything from PMC ever again. I'd buy Wolf first, and I haven't bought any of that in 5 or 6 years. Failure to lock back were the least of my worries with PMC. I had case head separations in my mini-14 and a Savage model 10 .223, this was before I got back into ARs. This wasn't just one or two shells either, out of 2 20rd boxes I had 4 and 6. I never had it happen with any other ammo, just PMC. The cheapest ammo I'll run now are my own reloads using nato brass. Next cheapest is xm193.

If it's your only AR then running cheap ammo doesn't seem too wrong, but too cheap does exist. Also stay away from Freedom Munitions, I just read about another kaboom someone had with FM's ammo, damned if I can't find it now. Federal (my favorite for cheaper ammo), Remington, Winchester, Black Hills, and Hornady all make cheaper options for plinking and I've never had a problem with any .223 or or 5.56 that they make.

Toddler
05-19-14, 03:34
I run some PMC in my 14.5" middy and the 62 grain does fine. But I guess we get to see what happens when you pump 85 octane into a Ferrari.

Mo_Zam_Beek
05-19-14, 08:57
Let it it sit in direct sunlight for a while next time. When the cases are warm to really warm to the touch, they have plenty of pressure (and be perfectly safe).

Consider getting some reloading gear for your next big purchase. In addition to shooting more for the same amount of $, you can tune a load to really see what LPR can do, and create hot 55 blaster ammo.

Good luck

markm
05-19-14, 09:58
Consider getting some reloading gear for your next big purchase.

Bingo, Mama!

PNorris
05-19-14, 10:39
Thanks guys. I wish I had time to reload, however, I just don't. I will look for something a little better, however, for plinking or just working on general technique at 200 yards or less the Pmc isn't bad. I will see what she can next time with some good ammo.

wildcard600
05-19-14, 10:45
you need to use depleted uranium rounds.

TMS951
05-19-14, 11:00
Wideners has Mk. 262 clone at .78 cents a round, they also have Prvi 75gr. HP at ~50 cents and I found them quite accurate and will lock back.

Peshawar
05-19-14, 14:07
I've seen the PMC Gold line fail to lock back many in-spec AR's. It just isn't the right ammo for those guns. Their X-Tac M193 line however has been great for me (plinking only, of course). YMMV.